New SAR heli operating on 5680

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

New SAR heli operating on 5680

Post by mikecharlie »

New addition added to the SAR helis heard on 5680 kHz. it is G-MCGA, , and based at Sumburgh on Shetland. Sikorsky 92's

Designated to HM Coastguard, THE call sign being used so far is G-MCGA, ( unknown if this call changes for real rescue) The Bonds are still regularly heard.

I had heard on Radio Scotland a few weeks ago that that was new SAR helis for the HF Coastgurd based at Shetland, but I am sure I heard that news report that there was THREE new Helis.......or is it just the one for Shetland.?
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!
Tayfisher
Regular
Regular

Re: New SAR heli operating on 5680

Post by Tayfisher »

According to https://bristowsar.com/ there are 3 S-92s (G-MCGA, G-MCGB, G-MCGC) now at Sumburgh, the GAP contract starts on June 1st. The Stornoway contract starts on July 1st so I guess one aircraft will leave Sumburgh for Stornoway during June. Their website states each base will operate 2 S-92's.

With any luck all will be equipped with HF radios.
Alan

Ranger 2950DX - Superstar 3900 - Magnum 257 - Realistic DX394 - Palstar R30A - Drake R8 - Perseus SDR - Uniden UBC 3500XLT - Yupiteru MVT 7100

IO76WS
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New SAR heli operating on 5680

Post by mikecharlie »

Yes. I have looked up some info and found out about the three S92, and their respective call signs.

pictures of the 3 apart from the 'G-MCGC' one on the GINFO.

and I think they all must probably have HF radio. Have heard the G-MCGA one of 5680 passing info and ops onto Kinoss.

Whether or not their callsigns will change to something other than the registrations I do not know.( takes to long to say the registration)
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!