Using a transceiver as a communications receiver

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Test for Echo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0ECN

Using a transceiver as a communications receiver

Post by Test for Echo » 08 Apr 2013, 20:03

Some Monitoring Times reviews I read recently remark that some people are buying transceivers solely to use them as receivers.

The rationale is that while the communications receiver is a relatively inactive market for innovation, the manufacturers are bringing out new equipment in the transceiver market, with great features, different form factors and a wider choice.

They mention the ICOM 746Pro as one example from the past.

Does anyone have ideas for contemporary models that could perform as a great All Mode / All Band receiver? I currently have an ICOM IC-R75, and with a significant birthday coming up, wondering what I can upgrade to.
Shortwave Signals - An Alexa skill for identifying shortwave broadcasts
Search for Shortwave Signals in the UK, USA, Australia and Canada Alexa Skill stores.

Direct Alexa Store links: UK USA

JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: Using a transceiver as a communications receiver

Post by JGR » 08 Apr 2013, 20:57

I use my 7400 which is just the same transceiver as the 746PRO that you mention for both receiving as a SWL and as an amateur radio user and would advise anyone that is serious about this hobby to do this. I also have a Tecsun PL660 for my portable work and it sits besides my bed time table.

Plus the transceivers will hold its resale value and market interest much better than a pure communications receiver.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle

Turbo

Post by Turbo » 08 Apr 2013, 22:05

Hi use to have a Kenwood-TS480SAT used only as a receiver to moinitor hf aircraft
did an excellent job but not as good as a proper receiver antenna i used was a Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1 Active Loop if that was the case manufucturers would only make transceivers to use as receivers but they know they wouldnt have a market most hams regard the Icom-R75 as one of the best receivers on the market..

Regards Lino..

MY SHACK:
ALINCO DJ-X11,ALINCO DJ-X2000,ALINCO DX-R8 (2)
AOR-3030,AOR-5001D,AOR-8200MK3,AOR-8600MK2
COMMRADIO CR-1
DRAKE-R8,DRAKE-SW2
GRE-PSR400,GRE-PSR500
GRUNDIG SATELLIT-750
ICOM-PCR1000,ICOM-PCR1500,ICOM-R3,ICOM-R20,ICOM-R71A,ICOM-R75 (2),
ICOM-R2500,ICOM-R7100,ICOM-R8500,ICOM-RX7
JRC NRD-545DSP
KINETIC SBS-3
LOWE-HF235
PALSTAR-R30A
REALISTIC-PRO2035
TEN TEC-320D,TEN TEC-340,TEN TEC-350D
UNIDEN-BCT15X,UNIDEN-UBCD396T,UNIDEN-UBCD396XT,UNIDEN-UBC780XLT
YAESU-VR500

JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR » 08 Apr 2013, 22:15

It is called catering for a market of availability.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle

Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty » 17 Jun 2013, 07:21

Looking at many monitoring books and mags it seems SDR is the big thing, with transceivers used pro receivers such as Racal etc being close behind
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016

tomos

Post by tomos » 31 Jul 2013, 06:35

I agree. desktop receivers have not progressed in a while, with the exception of the Alinco DX there are no new
conventional SW receivers on the market. Nothing form the big three. Even the venerable ICOM R75 is no longer available rom new in the UK
(leaving just the more pricey (but very good!) 8500. Having said that ICOM still support and will repair all the way back to the R7000 etc..

Desktop SW receivers sold new in the UK
Alinco - DXR8
ICOM - 8500 (WB)
AOR - 8600s (WB) but getting long in the tooth, and lacking support with newer PC,s or even some of the data accessories now being discontinued
Yeaseu -
Kenwood -
The SDRs are marching along, the funcube dongle pro + is a great WB rx, then of course the Winradio, Perseus, CCW sdr etc

Transceivers however are still being produced, and do indeed make for a great RX, I use the ICOM IC-7400
(http://www.icomuk.co.uk/categoryRender. ... 27&tID=647)
I get a lovely LCD screen, twin PBT, full DSP, RTTY decoding, scope, etc for a lot less than an 8500 which has none of these things ..

So yes , TX make for great RX !

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 31 Jul 2013, 21:09

Funilly enough I noticed an advert in Radio User the other month for (I think it was) a Yaseu transceiver being sold as a communications receiver with the mic removed "to eliminate any possibility of transmitting by accident"...

WTF?

Why on earth would you buy a full price transceiver with a bit missing? If you are at all concerned about the possibility of accidentally transmitting, wouldn't you just buy the complete thing somewhere else and refrain from plugging the mic in?

:?

ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL » 31 Jul 2013, 21:27

I picked up an old trio transceiver sold for 'spares or repair' because the transmitter finals were U/S. It cost me £45 and - now I've opened it up - it makes a great general-coverage receiver. A previous owner had fitted every optional filter under the sun, which (as a morseman/didgymoder) suits me fine.

Most old ham rigs can be opened-up by just snipping two diodes or the odd resistor, so why not?

RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD » 01 Aug 2013, 11:07

There are threads on here somewhere (sorry, can't pin them down) saying how SDR radios have left conventional ones in the dust, so if you're looking for State of the Art, that's the way to go.

marcusabacus

Post by marcusabacus » 01 Aug 2013, 13:44

RogerD wrote:There are threads on here somewhere (sorry, can't pin them down) saying how SDR radios have left conventional ones in the dust, so if you're looking for State of the Art, that's the way to go.
i'd rather give up listening than use an SDR .... clicking on a pc screen is not my idea of fun.
Waak Waak

Signal R-537S
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng GT-3
Yaesu VR160
Uniden Bearcat BCT15X
Tecsun PL365
Sony ICF-5500M
Commradio CR1A
Whistler TRX-2
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Commtel COM207
Nasa HF3
Kenwood R600
Yaesu FRG7

RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD » 01 Aug 2013, 13:59

There are all sorts of plug-in controller interfaces for DJ-ing
( http://www.guitarcenter.com/DJ-Controll ... DJ-Gear.gc )
- perhaps someone will come up with a way to control SDRs with that kind of thing.

A great big wheel designed to simulate a vinyl turntable might be great as a VFO :mrgreen:

crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty » 01 Aug 2013, 22:16

http://www.woodboxradio.com/
http://www.commradio.com/
For add-on manual control, and SDR sans PC screen.
The cornerstone of SDR is the PC waterfall/FFT display IMO, there are options for everyones taste/needs though (portable etc). SDR can add spice to anyones shack, but only if they don't mind change. Nobody I know has gone back to their regular rigs.

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 02 Aug 2013, 14:16

marcusabacus wrote:i'd rather give up listening than use an SDR .... clicking on a pc screen is not my idea of fun.

Try clicking on the mouse instead...

Much better! :)

tomos

Post by tomos » 02 Aug 2013, 18:09

Sad but true .. "if" you can put up with using a PC and a mouse the SDRs of today even the cheaper ones such as the FCD+
will blow away the likes of the NRD 545s etc or 10+ years ago, with unlimited general filters, notch filters, and all types of other goodies . As its software there are no bounds
That said, is half the fun of the hobby "finding" that signal and manually tuning into it.. where now I can see a signal it in a waterfall display over time, know its there, record it and analyse it and platy it back at will ?

It used to be about PC control or a RX now its IQ to the PC to provide the output ?

Horses for courses

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 02 Aug 2013, 21:18

Each unto their own, without a doubt...

...but...

...you don't like being able to easily find signals to listen to?

Huh? :? How do you feel about scanners? Or memories for that matter?