Oceanic Frequencies

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
cuckoo
Regular
Regular

Oceanic Frequencies

Post by cuckoo »

Newbie question alert :mrgreen:

I have 2 oceanic clearance frequencies stored in my scanner, 127.650 & 123.950. I can usually hear both ends of the conversation and i'm if im hearing the aircraft crew direct from the plane itself or if it's being retransmitted and that is what im picking up.
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Re: Oceanic Frequencies

Post by g0wbr »

Hi there.
Where are you located?
I'm in southern England and can here the aircraft transmissions directly which is what you're doing but can't hear the controllers as they are located I believe at Ballygireen (I think that's how it's spelt) in Ireland at the Shanwick Oceanic Control centre.

Cheers
cuckoo
Regular
Regular

Post by cuckoo »

I'm in SW Scotland, 10 miles from Prestwick.

This transmitter http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/uktrans_prestwick.htm is very near to me so I take it I am hearing the controllers being retransmitted. Are there oceanic controllers at Prestwick.

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get my head round this. :)
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Post by g0wbr »

I thought the operators for Shanwick were based at Ballygireen in Ireland but I may be wrong. If so then the transmitter at Prestwick would be a relay/repeater station. Got me intrigued now so will have to do some research. Good fun eh.

As I said a could be wrong and the ops are based at Prestwick but I'll have a dig and see what I can find.

Cheers
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Post by g0wbr »

Try this Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanwick_Oceanic_Control
I haven't got the time to read it properly but it seems as though Oceanic HF comms are tranmitted from Balygirreen and the VHF messages that you're hearing, from where the aircraft recieve their Oceanic clearence before being handed over to Oceanic control are, are transmitted from Prestwick.

Have a read and see what you think.
cuckoo
Regular
Regular

Post by cuckoo »

Thanks for that link, it mentions the following.
Shannon Aeradio, callsign "Shanwick Radio", utilises over 20 HF frequency channels and 2 VHF. At peak times it can communicate with in excess of 1300 aircraft during a 24 hour period. (The Prestwick OACC, callsign "Shanwick Control", uses 2 VHF frequencies and an ACARS based system called ORCA - Oceanic Route Clearance Authorisation, exclusively for the issue of Oceanic Clearances to westbound flights about to enter the Shanwick OCA
It says both have 2 VHF frequencies, from searching about 'Shanwick Radio' at Shannon seems to be 131.800 & 131.850, I cant hear anything on them. 'Shanwick Control' at Prestwick is 123.950 & 127.650, I can always hear the controllers here and almost always the aircraft as well.

After reading all that im still confused as to whether im hearing the aircraft and controllers direct from their location or from the transmitter nearby to me. :(
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Post by g0wbr »

I suppose as long as you're hearing both sides of the conversation that's the main thing. At least you can hear the controllers, I can't from the south of England. I wonder how much success you've had with the HF comms over the north atlantic. I'm okay receiving tracks to and from the eastern seaboard but would like to listen to aircraft in the santa maria area and to and from the caribbean. Any joy there? frequencies etc?

Cheers
cuckoo
Regular
Regular

Post by cuckoo »

Havent tried HF yet, not really looked into it yet so something for the future. Is there anything decent out there on a budget?

At the moment im just using my PSR-295 connected to my pc to decode acars for Planeplotter and an XLT780 for listening.

Im curious as to what's a decent range for listening, I can listen to aircraft very clear at 120nm as long they are above around 12,000ft. I start losing comms on the approach into Dublin and Manchester usually. What sort of range do you have?
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Post by g0wbr »

I'm quite fortunate as I live on the coast and can hear high level aircraft out to 150 miles or more, well into northern France and down towards Cornwall. I have a VHF vertical antenna about 20 feet up.

HF wise, I'm using my ham radio hf radio but you can pick up a cheap HF receiver for around £50 albeit 1970s/80's vintage or a realistic DX394 on ebay for around the same price.
A length of wire accross the garden and you're in business. Quite a lot of hf activity early morning from flights coming from the states and then from midmorning for outbound flights. Use USB for HF listening.

Have fun
rennie
Regular
Regular

Post by rennie »

Hi,
I don't get both ways on 123.950 but on 123.9583 i do ( i just checked).
I must have put the newer freq's? in the scanner at some time recently (i forget when) but obviously make a big difference.. here at least anyway's.
I also have 127.6583 entered too.

Edit: just checked 127.6583 which has call back too but with freq 127.650 it does not.
g0wbr
Regular
Regular

Post by g0wbr »

Hi Rennie
Wonder where you live in the country.
I'll check those freqs and see if I can copy both transmissions from the south coast. Be awsome if I can.
Thanks for the info.

Just checked and obviously those channels use 8.33khz steps. I can only go as low as 5khz but will try anyway.