Which is more air band sensitive Icom IC-R20 or UBC3500?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Jim
Regular
Regular

Which is more air band sensitive Icom IC-R20 or UBC3500?

Post by Jim »

Hi,
I am going to ramble on now!

I am running a UBC30 at the moment for civil air. I was thinking that i need something a little more flexible for scanning selected channels and frequencies. I had, many years ago, an Icom ic-R1, I really liked the way I could select a small frequency or channel range to scan in.
I later became interested in listening to HF planes over the Atlantic tracks, I did use an dedicated HF reciever for that after a while.

What do you guys think of the Icom IC-R20? it has side band for HF listening, would this be sensitive enough? and what about VHF sensitivity, on paper, the UBC3500 and the UBC30 seem better, claiming 0.4uV for VHF air band and the Icom IC-R20 less than 1.04uV. I have read reviews stating the icom is excellently sensitive, but the specs say different. I like the idea of the Icom R20 with all its features and would go for it if it was as a good peformer as the 3500 on VHF air band. Any advice?

Thanks,
Jim
Turbo

Re: Which is more air band sensitive Icom IC-R20 or UBC3500?

Post by Turbo »

I am not an expert when it comes to specifications in radio but i do have the Icom-R20/Uniden-UBCD396 and both are excellent performers on the vhf/uhf aero bands however the R20 has a wider frequency range and it is capable of tunning hf signals with the right antenna.

Reards Lino.
ALINCO-DJX2000
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/ICOM-R9500
JRC NRD-545
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500
Jim
Regular
Regular

Post by Jim »

Many thanks,
Just thinking of the cost of a r-20 compared to a 3500. I would hate to opt for the r-20 and find that my little UBC30xlt, which on paper shows better sensitivity on air band, picks out faint signals better.
I do like listening to HF comms and understand that wide band recievers do not offer great performance, but if the r-20 woks well on HF, that could swing it for me. When I used to listen I had an external high long wire attached to a HF reciever. I want to keep it all simple this time, so I wonder if the supplied antenna or any other HF sensitive hand held antenna work well with the r-20?
Jim
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I have been scanning the airbands for more than 30 years and since then i have never beleived in sensitivity due to the fact if u havent got the right antenna u are not going to get far i got an Icom-R9500 and i tested it with a magmount antenna and it hardly picked anything up and switched back to my Icom-AH7000 Discone & Diamond-BB6W HF antenna and the radio came alive.

Regards Lino.
asd

Post by asd »

True...

I don't own the Icom so can't compare both radios, but my gut feeling is it will be more sensitive than the 3500 based on my experience of my 3500 Vs my IC-R2. But obviously that is just a guess without trying the R20.

[O/T, but for AM I have never found anything which comes close to my old AOR 2002 for audio quality and readability. I still really rate this old radio (as a receiver, not a scanning/searching tool).]
rennie
Regular
Regular

Post by rennie »

Hi,
I own both and the Icom is more sensitive (VHF airband anyway).I have both being fed through the Diamond 777 aerial.. as we speak. 8)
Both cracking scanners btw.

John.(where's me avatar gone?) :cry:
MuddyFox
Banned
Banned

Post by MuddyFox »

I also love my AOR 2002 to bits.
I'm not to sure which one will be the better, an 3500xlt would be my choice though so I could use it for other things, pl,us the "closecall" feature.
Jim
Regular
Regular

Post by Jim »

Thanks guys,
I live in Kent in the Shadow of the North Downs, I cannot recieve London Volmet main at home but as soon as I go up to the Downs everything bursts into life. Im thinking the attenna may be more important now.
Jim
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Jim wrote:Thanks guys,
I live in Kent in the Shadow of the North Downs, I cannot recieve London Volmet main at home but as soon as I go up to the Downs everything bursts into life. Im thinking the attenna may be more important now.
Jim
Agreed, you'll get more return per £ spending it on a decent antenna and coax.