acars

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
grahamwilman
Regular
Regular

acars

Post by grahamwilman »

Hi ppl anybody got any idea what frequency I can pick up acars I am using wacars software and I have my scanner tuned to 131.5250Mhz WFM which according to acertain book I have that is the european acars frequency I am getting perodic data burst through on that frequency but I am also getting voice reception as well although wacars is pick up some data it is tarnslating it as gobbledegook. If any has any Idea about acars any and all assistance will most definatley be Appreciated.
Graham
fez
Veteran
Veteran

RE: acars

Post by fez »

as I am aware to decode acars you need your audio levels setup right on ur scanner and PC for it to decode 100% like pagers.

Another option to consider is putting a discriminator tap into your scanner (if theres space), Plenty of info on the net for this.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: acars

Post by grafter »

The busiest frequency for ACARS is 131.725 AM 6khz width or there abouts. I get about 50 decodes a minute with 300 miles range using a colinear, the best time of day to monitor is evening/night when the courier flights come in from the US and EU as they send a lot of position reports.

What good will a discriminator tap do?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
grahamwilman
Regular
Regular

Re: RE: acars

Post by grahamwilman »

grafter wrote:The busiest frequency for ACARS is 131.725 AM 6khz width or there abouts. I get about 50 decodes a minute with 300 miles range using a colinear, the best time of day to monitor is evening/night when the courier flights come in from the US and EU as they send a lot of position reports.

What good will a discriminator tap do?
Hi grafter thanks for the heads-up on acars both to you and fez although I do have 1 question grafter you said you pick acars up on 131.7250 on am I can get data burst on am but I have to leave my squelch open so most of the time all I can hear is static with very faint data burst in the background where as on Wfm I am getting a lot clearer transmission and I can turn my squelch up and cut out the background noise and get clear data transmissions through although unfortunatly I am not getting 50 decodes a minute I am getting one or two in like 25-30 mins and sometimes it goes even longer.
Thanks for your help if you have any idea why I seem to be getting stronger transmissions on Wfm I would love to hear them
Graham
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RE: acars

Post by fez »

grafter wrote: What good will a discriminator tap do?
It will create a low level audio that's always the same, Works well for pagers.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: Re: RE: acars

Post by grafter »

The problem using WFM is it's the wrong mode, it will work just about if the signal is sufficiently strong enough for the decoder to hear the tones but the other problem is the IF width covers about 20 normal voice 'channels' hence the other signals you are hearing. Ideally you need to be in AM 6KHz width or there abouts. I've found that not all scanners and sound cards are good decoders so you may be unlucky enough to have a bad pair, the antique Signal 532 I use is much better than a Bearcat scanner and an onboard CMI sound card is better than an SB Live. You could also try using one of the online remote tuners at global or remotehams, acars should be OK to decode via a half decent audio stream.

Acars is AM, there's no discriminator involved so I don't see what good tapping it does?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: Re: RE: acars

Post by bigbassman »

I use ACARSD with a PSR 282 and get roughly what Grafter's getting.I'm in N.Ireland though,with plenty overhead and Transatlantic traffic.The volume setting on ACARSD is set about 23 or thereabouts,with the squelch left OPEN all the time.Main frequency is 131.725,but 131.825 has been used in the past,but doesn't seem quite so busy now.It is essential to have your squelch open all the time.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
detroitcity
Regular
Regular

Re: acars

Post by detroitcity »

I tend to find I get more traffic on 131.825, lots of Easyjet and Aer Lingus.

I use the mic socket on my souncard with it turned up around 3/4, squelch fully open and scanner volume around 50%. This gives me around 16-18 on Acarsd. I only get around 30-40 per hour during the day but im only using a small antenna in my loft at the moment.