Flightaware Explained Please

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Flightaware Explained Please

Post by radiogaga »

Can someone help to explain the Flighaware dashboard and explain what the headings mean?

I started with a cheap SDR 820T with the included antenna (not trimmed) and now have the Flighaware Stick (Inc Amp/filter) and a dedicated flight aware antenna outside and in the clear. I have increased my flights/positions three fold but nothing seems to increase in my stats. It clearly needs some explanation as to what FLIGHTS and POSITIONS actually means.
0566630B-B794-4063-9ACB-2BF12447EE7F.jpeg

Thanks
Sam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by radiogaga on 02 May 2018, 12:58, edited 3 times in total.
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Flightaware Explained Please

Post by MrWeetabix »

Your photobucket account does not allow for sharing apparently. Please upload an image to TM1 direct. Thanks
bwe.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
milly

Re: Flightaware Explained Please

Post by milly »

You say you get three times as many aircraft as before and I presume that pleases you? Do the 'statistics' actually matter?

I'd guess the numbers on the 'nearby sites' screenshot are figures from a rolling 24 hours and your station will always be the first on the list:
2211 unique aircraft
402066 position reports received in total

If those numbers are roughly the same as they were on your original setup then you can't be seeing three times as many aircraft.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"