The death of airband?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: The death of airband?

Post by paulears »

I don't really agree. You need human controllers, but the reality is looking out the window is not what they do for most of the time! If you listen to busy air channels, there are not as many clashes and doubling as there are on say, channel 16 for the coastguard. AM does seem to do what they need. Prevent noisy signals being heard, and having the correct type of 'sound' for the purpose. Strong signals only lift the squelch, and no capture effect.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Hmm, well apart from controlling aircraft, checking for incursions, checking for birds, checking the wind, checking the cloud, watching the ramp, controlling fire, ops, tels, tug, security, catering, baggage vehicles, overflights, choppers there is no need to look out of the window.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Few cameras hung off a pole at the airport and a snazzy iPhone app and I don't see why the majority of controllers couldn't just work from home / the park / the local pub...
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Or the beach.. sounds good
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

kr0ne wrote:Few cameras hung off a pole at the airport and a snazzy iPhone app and I don't see why the majority of controllers couldn't just work from home / the park / the local pub...
SAAB do a snazzy remote tower system consisting of a cluster of HD cameras on a pole at the airfield, and a bunch of HD screens arranged in a circle, similar to the windows of a real tower. The idea is that one virtual tower can control several quiet (low traffic) airfields cost-effectively where the alternative would be no ATC at all.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Power Failure and Comms Failure would be massive issues, mitigation for both would come at a significant cost and still carries risk, surely having a squishy human type at an airfield is still the safest option!
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

At least the air con might work better than some of the towers..
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Google will be doing pilotless planes before you know it anyway, so probably not much need for ATC at all moving forward... :P
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

The trouble is that all the visual checks listed above could be better done by CCTV, and most larger airports already have their taxiways and busy areas monitored that way, because the tower view simply isn't that good, and size means distances and other hotspots suffer from obstructions and the low angle making separation impossible fro the glasshouse. The bigger and even mid size airports could remove the controllers to a centralised area and leave perhaps one or two assistants with eyes.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

This is a far better solution: https://youtu.be/qNnzZkRXir4?t=1m41s
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

kr0ne wrote:This is a far better solution: https://youtu.be/qNnzZkRXir4?t=1m41s
haha cracker :lol: :lol:
love your familly
Twocky61
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: JayWalker

Post by Twocky61 »

The police have gone Airwave Tetra and now ATC is going automated. I love streaming police & ATC :) I used to help the police though they would consider it interfering like when came over the air attention drawn to a coach driver due out of Home James Coaches Southampton. The police duly waited for him on the Rushmore Roundabout M271 so I phoned Home James and asked to speak to the driver. I advised him to hand the job to a colleague. The police pulled the other driver and afterwards over the radio came he was not drunk after all little knowing it was another driver and not the driver DWI :)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

You did what? You were aware of a drunk driver about to be caught and removed from the roads - potentially saving lives, and you tipped him off! I n' believe that one. To be honest here - that's what? Aiding and abetting a drunk driver to get away with it, and probably (as somebody no doubt reported him) you just let him do it again the next day. You interfered with the Police doing their duty and also did the thing you cannot do under the radio regs - made somebody else aware of something you heard?

Forget the radio element for a moment. somebody was doing something illegal. You tipped him off? He was a potential drunk driver for Gods sake? He deserved to get breathalysed and if he failed, then he also deserved to lose his license and take the fine.

Please tell me you're just joking, please?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Twocky61 wrote:The police have gone Airwave Tetra and now ATC is going automated. I love streaming police & ATC :) I used to help the police though they would consider it interfering like when came over the air attention drawn to a coach driver due out of Home James Coaches Southampton. The police duly waited for him on the Rushmore Roundabout M271 so I phoned Home James and asked to speak to the driver. I advised him to hand the job to a colleague. The police pulled the other driver and afterwards over the radio came he was not drunk after all little knowing it was another driver and not the driver DWI :)
Never mind the drunk bus driver, his passengers and all the innocent road users and pedestrians that might have had the misfortune to be on his route...

If this is true (which I doubt, personally) then these are exactly the kind of antics that have killed the scanning hobby for everyone else.

Congratulations!
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

when was this 1991 ?
love your familly