(Yet Another) Antenna Question

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

(Yet Another) Antenna Question

Post by Admiral »

I have a generic 'white stick' antenna that I use for V/UHF, it works okay but would love to squeeze an extra ounce of signal from MIL/AIR, would in your experience making a dedicated dipole or similar for MIL/AIR get me that ounce compared to a unit designed for 2m/70cm?
If so, any designs or links would be appreciated. Nothing too elaborate as I'm on the ground floor and share the communal grass area, so for H&S can't be putting up any fancy arrays. Or if there's a 'killer' off the shelf product then I don't mind spending a few quid.
Cheers for any comments.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: (Yet Another) Antenna Question

Post by Tigersaw »

As with all vertical VHF type antenna, height would help here more than a better antenna.
As far as antenna type is concerned, I've tried out plenty of dedicated airband antenna at home and compared with a dual band ham which stick (X30) there’s little difference receiving ground stations and none at all receiving aircraft.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Mil Air as in UHF 225-400mhz? Funny u shud mention mil air as last week my PRC 344 finally died a death

Antenna wise I would go for a folded di pole as they cheap n easy make and have a broad bandwidth...
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk »

I have had much success with a x30 like Tigersaw and a pre-amp
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
rogerbeep
Call Sign: 20TM896

Post by rogerbeep »

Before considering a new antenna, have a look at the most important component in the system.

Some people are putting a lot of money into expensive radios and antennas, but they tend to forget where the signal loss takes place: the transmission line. You must never underestimate the importance of having a high quality transmission line.

Yes, it is a boring thing to say, but there is no need to gain another 0.5db in a new antenna if a new cable can save you from 2db loss. The only thing that counts is the signal strength delivered at the receiver end.

At VHF and UHF frequencies, an RG-213 (or 214) will give considerable lower loss than, let's say RG-58 with the same length.
The differences between the two increases with longer cable lengths and higher frequencies.
For many stations this is the difference between modest and good.

Look up a coax attenuation chart and check the difference between your cable and others.
You can also find coax loss calculators online.
TRX:
Icom 7300 / 706 mk II / 735 - Alinco DR-135DX - President Grant mk II / Jackson mk I - CRT SS9900 / One - Anytone AT300M
Icom ID 51E - QYT KT-8900 - Icom F4SR / 28H - Baofeng UV-5R / 888S

Uniden UBC 780 XLT - Icom R5 / PCR-100 - RTL2832U/R820T + Ham It Up v1.2 - NESDR SMArt