city jet

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: city jet

Post by thelad »

Wont get much on Coningsby for a QRA, not even sure they have to contact the tower to depart! You want blackdog, AAR and guard Vhf. All were busy on the night in question.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Ta for that. I've got Linton, Leeming and London Mil East programmed in but I don't hear them much.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

You should get the Hawks where you are (York?) and the Tucanos.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Wetherby but I don't imagine that's a problem. On the civvie side, I'm perfect for LBA, Robin Hood, Teeside and Newcastle.

Now if only I can decode all their jargon...
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Runway 35 doesn't mean they have 35 runways, it means their runway is 35 degrees from North, hope that helps.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Heh! Thanks. Just as long as no one says "Approaching Airstrip 1".
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Admiral wrote:Runway 35 doesn't mean they have 35 runways, it means their runway is 35 degrees from North, hope that helps.
Close! 350... :)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

2E1IIP wrote:Might request a change to LHR and swallow the £60 change fee - sounds dodgy to me.
Ha ha! A measured and evidence based response without a hint of Daily Mailism about it... :lol:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Here's the AV Herald article in case anyone is interested:

http://avherald.com/h?article=497c6612

There is mention in the comments that the turn was instructed by ATC. I've seen the same thing posted on a couple of aviation forums by other aircrew. Nothing unusual or untoward, it would seem - just a simple loss of comms that happens a lot more often that you might think.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

How did ATC advise them to turn right 90 degrees if there was no comms?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

kr0ne wrote:
Admiral wrote:Runway 35 doesn't mean they have 35 runways, it means their runway is 35 degrees from North, hope that helps.
Close! 350... :)
Aviators like to lose a few naughts here and there.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Admiral wrote:How did ATC advise them to turn right 90 degrees if there was no comms?
Typhoon told them via VHF guard so i asume they had the wrong sector frequency selected or was a range issue, when they spotted a Typhoon out of the window with lots of pointy things under the wings i expect that woke them up!
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

thelad wrote:when they spotted a Typhoon out of the window with lots of pointy things under the wings i expect that woke them up!
I bet it did, it would certainly make my behind tighten somewhat.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There are several parallel discussions going on on the aviation forums about guard. It seems that even pilots like to play music, make farty sounds and animal noises on the radio - except they prefer to use the international aviation distress frequency instead of ch 19!

That's not a joke btw, although I'm not sure how common that kind of nonsense actually is. Certainly in the UK you can be located very quickly and easily when you transmit on 121.5, but this seems to be at the root of a far more common issue in the UK - the practice pan call. You can imagine, on a busy flight deck, one might be tempted to turn the volume down on the box monitoring guard if there is a lot of irrelevant chat going on.

Turn down guard and miss one ATC frequency change and all of a sudden you have a loss of comms with ATC and while there are often other ways to make contact, you might want to get the fast jets up there while you faff around. Just in case, you know?

At the end of the day it was a professional job by the RAF, the lads got a chance to take their bikes out for a quick blast and nobody got hurt. Great job by all concerned in my book. :thumbup:
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

kr0ne wrote:There are several parallel discussions going on on the aviation forums about guard. It seems that even pilots like to play music, make farty sounds and animal noises on the radio - except they prefer to use the international aviation distress frequency instead of ch 19!
Yeah, I've just been reading the thread on pprune about 121.5 :D I'm inclined to agree with the comments on there that at least some of this is coming from numpties on the ground with handheld transceivers who are just trying to wind up the guard police. Years ago I witnessed a SWL make a practice pan call (without warning, otherwise I would have told him not to) but he followed the correct procedure and I don't think anyone suspected it wasn't a real pilot.

Incidentally, part of my job involves analysing data recordings from aircraft, which sometimes includes cockpit voice recordings. It's amazing what pilots talk about up there, they obviously forget very quickly that they're being recorded :D