Edinburgh Military tattoo flypasts 2014,,get ready!!

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
stu
Call Sign: MM6HZA

Re: Edinburgh Military tattoo flypasts 2014,,get ready!!

Post by stu »

Glamdring wrote:Red Arrows will be 5 mins late, now due at 1935Z. Unfortunately I'm the unlucky Bugger who has been landed with controlling them :-(
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be listening out for your dulcet tones :)

Stu
DX:Tecsun S2000,Tecsun PL660,Tecsun PL310-ET,Sony SRF-59, Degen DE1103,Wellbrook ALA1530LN
Scan:Uniden UBC3500XLT, Yaesu VR120D, TSC-100R
Ham:Baofeng UV-5RE, Baofeng GT-3TP
stu

Post by stu »

Glamdring - can I ask a couple of questions?: Was it part of the Reds original flight plan to fly over the airfield or did they ask for that? Also - what was the relevance about who would be handling them down to Blackpool - is this a special arrangement that can be activated or is this just routine? If i heard correctly (and I probably didnt) - the same sector would take them down but, under normal circumstances, wouldnt this normally involve a few different ATC sectors?

Apologies in advance if im being a dunce

Thanks
Stu
DX:Tecsun S2000,Tecsun PL660,Tecsun PL310-ET,Sony SRF-59, Degen DE1103,Wellbrook ALA1530LN
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Nice photo from the Reds facebook page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Hi Stu,

The original plan was for the Reds to extend for a couple of miles after the castle and then turn southbound. They asked if we would like them to give us a buzz at the airfield, of course I said yes. :) It keeps the spotters upstairs happy...

As for the routing back down south, for any normal person we would just ask them to report changing frequency, leaving it up to them as to who they contact.

The Reds like to have a plan formulated in advance for who they speak to and stuff. Knowing this I phoned Scottish FIS ahead of time to ask if they could work them down to Blackpool. At that time of night it is actually the TAY Controller that covers FIS. Because they were low level below controlled airspace for the whole journey no other sectors would be interested.
stu wrote:Glamdring - can I ask a couple of questions?: Was it part of the Reds original flight plan to fly over the airfield or did they ask for that? Also - what was the relevance about who would be handling them down to Blackpool - is this a special arrangement that can be activated or is this just routine? If i heard correctly (and I probably didnt) - the same sector would take them down but, under normal circumstances, wouldnt this normally involve a few different ATC sectors?

Apologies in advance if im being a dunce

Thanks
Stu
stu

Post by stu »

Glamdring - thanks so much for the reply. Thats really very interesting esp re the routing south. And for what its worth I thought you handled them very professionally last night :)

I was laughing when I heard they were heading over the airport as I was thinking back a few weeks when they displayed at the Armed Forces day over Stirling - I was sitting at EDI and they put on a fantastic smoke on running break as they arrived back at the field and proceeded to hold up traffic whilst they landed and taxied up to Red 1 before all moving off the runway together - total poseurs but why not - they are the best arent they and they clearly love to take any opportunity to put on a show !!

Great photo too - thanks for sharing

Cheers

Stu
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

That photo from their facebook page looks like one taken by my mate Trev!
You can never have enough radios!
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Thanks for the callsign last night Stu! I said it was unusual that 1 sqn used VEGA as a callsign because isn't that the French navy helis that use that?
You can never have enough radios!