Gliders moving away from 129.975?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Gliders moving away from 129.975?

Post by RogerD »

In the latest radio magazine it looks like a few Gliding frequency changes are afoot - leaving 129.975 for 124.100 and 120.775

Does anyone know why?
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Gliders moving away from 129.975?

Post by Minus1 »

No, but I can tell you that 120.775 was RAF Shawbury Zone, before it moved to 133.15, and that was the only UK assignment, so 120.775 should be unused at present.

124.1 is used by Little Rissington, but they have 637 Volunteer Gliding Squadron on site, so such a change might still be compatible.
http://www.devonair.net/pilotinfo/FOB.htm
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

Thanks for the info
znww5
Regular
Regular

Post by znww5 »

As background to this, more glider pilots seem to be taking the R/T exams these days so that they can talk to en route airfields etc. That, coupled with a recent CAA decision to accept any CE approved air band portable transceiver as meeting the 'temporary radio installation' criteria, seems to have helped glider pilots become more 'frequency agile'.

As a power pilot and an A/G operator, I think that is a very good thing, especially in the complex and crowded airspace in the south of the UK - everybody is much happier if they know your intentions!

Re: the Devonair link mentined above, they moved out of Little Riss a good while back, the linked web page was last updated in 2008 and the most recent page I could find during a quick look around was 2011. In passing, I also noticed that Devonair dubiously suggested that their A/G station should be treated as though it was a FIS - I think somebody needed to read up on their comms and air law.

The three levels of ATC are clearly defined, in brief: A/G - basically passing airfield information, no control over a/c on the ground or in the air; FIS - passing information and control of A/C until they enter or leave the runway; ATC - full control of A/C on the ground and in allocated airspace. The callsign suffix identifies the service so: A/G = Snodgrass RADIO; FIS = Snodgrass INFORMATION and full ATC = Snodgrass TOWER or APPROACH or RADAR etc.

Sorry about the thread drift, but folk get confused enough without somebody re-interpreting the definitions of these services :-)
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

hi guys

this site may help you out http://www.bas.uk.net/data5.html,
Hopes its some use to you all ..
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505