Data usage with PlanePlotter

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Data usage with PlanePlotter

Post by neil-c »

Has anyone a rough idea of how heavy the data usage is on PlanePlotter in sharing mode?
Unfortunatley I am on a 5 gig a month dongle at the moment and don't want to risk trying it and having it eat all my allowance in next to no time.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Data usage with PlanePlotter

Post by radio_ryan »

I believe it tell you in the turns of the app, it not that much, has it said people use mobile phone internet to share data. I am using Flight radar 24 and plane finder.

it somewhere in there information about sharing and what you needed to down load to shearing data. but I do not have the mean to shear has yet.
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c »

Thanks Ryan. Iv`e got to really set everything back up first, and I am not too happy with the range I am getting off the Micro-adsb at the moment.
It should be far better at my new location and daft as it sounds I am thinking it could be the double glazing causing the problem. I have moved the antenna into the middle of the room away from the window and that does seem to have made a bit of improvement.
I have got 12 days off coming up soon so I will have a good go at it then.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radio_ryan »

Just keep a eye on how much it is using, at first.

what it says is one thing and what it is. another matter, has it could be a way of getting people to link up. but I do not think they would have said it. if it was not right and had been checked by them first.
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c »

Not had chance to look at PlanePlotter or the data usage yet as i have been more concerned about the lack of aircraft/range showing up on AdsbScope with the MicroAdsb.
I have managed to re-organise things and re route the cables so I can get the antenna out of the window and mount it on the sky dish brackets with its magnetic base. The difference is huge, I have never seen as many aircraft on screen just using the antenna and receiver before. I think the next step has got to be a better Ads-b antenna as the supplied one is only described as a demo antenna.