cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

Post by thelad » 11 Nov 2013, 19:47

How do the coast guard pin point VHF transmissions?
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6

WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth » 11 Nov 2013, 19:52

thelad wrote:How do the coast guard pin point VHF transmissions?
I didn't think they did, if you transmit for 10 seconds even the NSA would struggle to track you.

mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm » 11 Nov 2013, 20:04

Every coastguard station and every offshore lifeboat is equipped with a Doppler DF array. They are regularly used to help pinpoint mayday locations when a location is not given.

I don't think 10 seconds would be enough to get a fix though. Maybe if they were on the right frequency, at the right time, within range and were looking at the DF screen.

Then again, I doubt anyone is going to splash out on an airband transceiver and use it once, for 10 seconds, to annoy one pilot and endanger the life of 100's. If some idiot is stupid enough to do it once then they will probably do it again,and again and again.
"Spooky action at a distance."

Glamdring

Post by Glamdring » 11 Nov 2013, 20:17

They WOULD find you. The safety implications of unlicensed airband transmissions would be astronomical. The money that could potentially be lost by the affected ANSPs would motivate them to pull out all the stops to shut the offender down ASAP. Yes, we have DF at the airfields, D&D also have a nationwide triangulation capability and most aircraft also have DF. We could certainly pin it down to a specific town within a couple of transmissions and at that point the police would probably start going door to door as well as parking a couple of chopper coppers in the local vicinity.

Yes, you might get away with a single transmission but make a habit of it and you can expect a knock on the door and a custodial sentence.

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 11 Nov 2013, 20:19

thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad » 11 Nov 2013, 20:21

mattltm wrote:Every coastguard station and every offshore lifeboat is equipped with a Doppler DF array. They are regularly used to help pinpoint mayday locations when a location is not given.

I don't think 10 seconds would be enough to get a fix though. Maybe if they were on the right frequency, at the right time, within range and were looking at the DF screen.

Then again, I doubt anyone is going to splash out on an airband transceiver and use it once, for 10 seconds, to annoy one pilot and endanger the life of 100's. If some idiot is stupid enough to do it once then they will probably do it again,and again and again.
Thanks i thought they could, when i was younger many years ago i went to see my uncle who worked for the coast guard in Aberdeen, they were getting some one pratting around on the radio, after 2 weeks of they guy keying up and playing music they pin pointed him to a street and then to a house and gave him a visit with the old bill. Not sure if they did anything to him for it.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6

DX-Digger
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger » 11 Nov 2013, 20:35

thelad wrote:
mattltm wrote:Every coastguard station and every offshore lifeboat is equipped with a Doppler DF array. They are regularly used to help pinpoint mayday locations when a location is not given.

Thanks i thought they could, when i was younger many years ago i went to see my uncle who worked for the coast guard in Aberdeen, they were getting some one pratting around on the radio, after 2 weeks of they guy keying up and playing music they pin pointed him to a street and then to a house and gave him a visit with the old bill. Not sure if they did anything to him for it.
ahh But they didn't have the anti-terrorism laws back then and there was no threat to national security.
After 9-11 things have changed quite substantially and not for the better in my personal opinion.
Let me put it this way, The starter of this thread has posted in a public forum that he wants a radio to talk to aircraft!
Do you not think that this has been intercepted off the internet backbone by GCHQ etc!
Big Brother IS WATCHING! lol
:twisted: :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 » 11 Nov 2013, 20:44

Glamdring wrote:They WOULD find you.
Only if you stay in the same place.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.

DX-Digger
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger » 11 Nov 2013, 20:59

So do you still want a radio to chat to the pilots carl?

:lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth » 11 Nov 2013, 21:15

thedeerhunter270 wrote:
The coastgaurd HQ in the UK are hull and fallmouth, by the time they track you down and head to the location you could be at home with a nice cuppa.

Im not advocating you try ragchewing on the airband or marine band.

RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD » 11 Nov 2013, 21:46

check out the OP's other genius posts
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/se ... 1&sr=posts

mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm » 11 Nov 2013, 23:33

WoollyMammoth wrote:
thedeerhunter270 wrote:
The coastgaurd HQ in the UK are hull and fallmouth.
And Dover, and London and others. Not to mention that most Trinity House Lighthouses also have the equipment fitted.

A bit OT and a blatant troll post but interesting none the less.
"Spooky action at a distance."

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 12 Nov 2013, 00:09

I reckon somebody is freshening up a few new accounts before diving into a certain couple of threads over in the amateur forum...

Should be fairly obvious who they are when they start posting. ;)

EDIT: P.S. the good ol VeeEx7 should do the job.

darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone » 12 Nov 2013, 00:22

marcusabacus wrote:Not a chance.... 10 sec transmit and you think they would be able to find you ....NO CHANCE
I saw a demo quite a few years ago of something that Qinetiq were putting together for the MOD as a POC that could triangulate and provide transmitter signature as soon as the transmitter had stabilised.

Shockingly quick and accurate, assuming that has progressed (and they have access to that kit) i suspect they'd be on their way to the TX site before sender had unkeyed.
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder » 12 Nov 2013, 08:22

At the end of the day all u need is one person who is knowledgable in radio an determined then decides to muck about on the air freqs an u have a big problem...
All the technology inc doppler gear, fingerprint software an spooks crawling about will find it very very hard to find someone.... Throw in the equasion extremely low power n its like looking for a needle in a field full of haystacks.....