cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

Post by Admiral »

Or Conor.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Turton? Thought he had dried up n blown away.....

Two addys in Bridlington and two in Driffield...
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Huge problem for our local flying pork chop squad (Police 42).... Every week they get a blasting from a particulary bright laser used by the dopes in Leeds....
I was listening to LBA traffic on Friday night and heard one pilot mention someone was shining a green laser at him. I'm sure he mentioned Otley as the source. There's no shortage of idiots out there.
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

Every year NPAS Filton catch half a dozen or so people shining lazers... at them!

Duhh!
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

It's an almost daily occurrence at Edinburgh. I rarely get through a week without having to fill out an MOR form for a laser attack.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Pilots union is demanding that laser pen posession is made illegal after a Virgin flight had to turn back. I'd imagine that this would mean high power green lasers and not the little lecture hall red lasers.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I used to have the latter for just that purpose, then last year I got a clicky thing that's like a small remote to change my PP slides instead of carrying a small mouse, and this device simulates CTRL+left click with one button, so the software generates the laser dot on the screen and I move it around with a tiny touchpad, cool stuff, and now I won't get nicked for carrying an offensive weapon.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

They need to catch somebody and let the court give them a £50 fine, then sue them in the civil court for the hundreds of thousands of pounds the turnaround cost. Then get an attachment of earnings benefits order, that will take 25 years to pay off.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

These things have absolutely no purpose, therefore I can't see anyone having an argument about outlawing them. I binned the one I used to use.

I have an old measure that casts a red laser beam, but it is clearly identifiable as an instrument and not a toy.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Anything is an offensive weapon if, in the opinion of a police officer, you intend to use it as such.

Laser pointers, table legs, knives, forks and CRT monitors.

We don't need a law outlawing laser pointers, there is already plenty of legaleese that can be used against anyone using them irresponsibly if the will exists.

There is a specific law against possessing dope but it doesn't seem to discourage many people from buying and carrying it.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

You could apply the same theory to hand guns, but they are specifically outlawed. As there are no known legal uses for these things then outlaw their ownership I say, or does it need an A300 to come down on a block of flats first to take some action?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

TBH, I really don't see why handguns capable of firing more than a single shot without reloading are illegal.

It was a knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy that unfairly penalised countless law abiding citizens.

The root cause of that particular tragedy was a violent and mentally unstable man and I'm certain he would have found another way to cause harm to others if handguns hadn't been available to him.
EddieP
Regular
Regular

Post by EddieP »

I'm not so sure. His gun club had reported him for being not suitable, he did what he did to get revenge against shooters. His use of a handgun was a deliberate ploy.

There is much more behind it, but as this is a radio forum I'll not go down that road.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Many yonks ago, a copper told me that anything could be an offensive weapon if it was used in that way so I'd agree that a new law isn't necessary.

The book should certainly be thrown at the perps though.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Yes, your fists can be offensive weapons, blah, blah, but that is either threatening, or using them as offensive weapons, so if someone is found with one of these laser pens on them and not using it as an instrument to interfere with a civilian cockpit, then they're just fine and dandy, I say make it an offence to own one full stop, so even if you have no intention of blinding a pilot and bringing down a 737 over the Vauxhall factory, if you're caught with one, you have committed an offence.

I say again, they have no purpose other than to cause annoyance or harm.