cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: cheapest handheld to talk to the pilots

Post by MrWeetabix »

Glamdring wrote:They WOULD find you. The safety implications of unlicensed airband transmissions would be astronomical. The money that could potentially be lost by the affected ANSPs would motivate them to pull out all the stops to shut the offender down ASAP. Yes, we have DF at the airfields, D&D also have a nationwide triangulation capability and most aircraft also have DF. We could certainly pin it down to a specific town within a couple of transmissions and at that point the police would probably start going door to door as well as parking a couple of chopper coppers in the local vicinity.

Yes, you might get away with a single transmission but make a habit of it and you can expect a knock on the door and a custodial sentence.
What HE said..... because I know he know's his sh1t and to be honest, as a pilot, I'm bloody glad he does!

The member who created this troll account is known, so I would suggest you contact me to explain yourself or I'll be banning TWO accounts.....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
archspoofer

Post by archspoofer »

It seems that most of the trolls we get are people who already have an account and feel the need to start a fake one for reactions ! WHY?

If the user 'P*******N does let you know why can you please let us all know his reasons?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

archspoofer wrote:It seems that most of the trolls we get are people who already have an account and feel the need to start a fake one for reactions ! WHY?

If the user 'P*******N does let you know why can you please let us all know his reasons?
Innocent until proven guilty, it could be someone inexperienced with radios asking a question. Common sense would tell you talking to and distracting someone who is navigating a plane isn't a good idea.
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

WoollyMammoth wrote:...someone who is navigating a plane...
You mean a controller? :D
archspoofer

Post by archspoofer »

WoollyMammoth wrote: Innocent until proven guilty, it could be someone inexperienced with radios asking a question. Common sense would tell you talking to and distracting someone who is navigating a plane isn't a good idea.
The user registered in 2010 and has made 5 posts I refer to
RogerD wrote:check out the OP's other genius posts
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/se ... 1&sr=posts
They have the same writing style and wording as another user on here and I'm guessing by Mr Weetabix's response possibly the Admins can see his IP !
Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Troll-be-gone....... Boom.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
grahamwilman01
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0CSU

Post by grahamwilman01 »

MrWeetabix wrote:Troll-be-gone....... Boom.
Take it he did'nt contact you and explain himself then :lol:
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: MM6SGZ

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

MrWeetabix wrote:Troll-be-gone....... Boom.

cool..... maybe its safe to sell an icom A23 handie ive got surplus.... ;)

HF
Yaesu FTdx1200, Kenwood TS590,
Sailor T2130 & T2031MF/HF Systems
Ameritron 811, Yeasu FL2100
VHF/UHF
Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-2820
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Comet GP9, Hustler 5-BTV, 3 ELE Yagi 10m/11m
Data Interface
Kantronics Pactor TNC , MJF 1275X

QRZ.COM
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

LeakyFeeder wrote:At the end of the day all u need is one person who is knowledgable in radio an determined then decides to muck about on the air freqs an u have a big problem...
All the technology inc doppler gear, fingerprint software an spooks crawling about will find it very very hard to find someone.... Throw in the equasion extremely low power n its like looking for a needle in a field full of haystacks.....
You're right about how easy it would be to start TXing on airband but I think it would probably prove far easier to catch somebody doing that than you may think.

Radio technology could be used to identify an approximate location very quickly, although you are right that actually pinpointing and intercepting a mobile transmitter would be very difficult using these techniques.

However, stop thinking about this as a radio problem from this point onwards...

As soon as the police become involved, they can get access to all sorts of information that your average DFer wouldn't even think of.

I imagine one of the firsts things they would be do would be to start checking with all the major radio retailers, as well as eBay and Amazon etc. for any recent sales of equipment that was capable of transmitting AM between 118-137 MHz.

It would then be relatively easy to request the customer's address details from each seller (backed up by law) and start narrowing down this list to the area of interest.

It would be possible (indeed trivial) to use transmitter fingerprinting techniques to positively identify the transmitter involved in the offense. They would only need to catch one transmission to be able to do this - the technology is even in use on some amateur repeaters, so it's hardly James Bond stuff...

If it were me, my next step would be to start knocking on doors and sampling every radio on my list until I found the one that had the fingerprint that I was looking for. If I knocked on a door and the occupant was evasive or seemed overly nervous, I would make a note of who they were and start paying particular attention to them. Even if they weren't the culprit, chances are they are up to something.

The police have a lot of experience conducting investigations and their techniques have been refined over time. They have the law behind them and I really do believe that if they really wanted to catch you doing something like this, it would only be a matter of time before they did.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to stay off their radar and to do this without being caught but it would require a significant amount of forethought and planning. In reality, most people just wouldn't even think about half this stuff.
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

kr0ne wrote:As soon as the police become involved, they can get access to all sorts of information that your average DFer wouldn't even think of.

I imagine one of the firsts things they would be do would be to start checking with all the major radio retailers, as well as eBay and Amazon etc. for any recent sales of equipment that was capable of transmitting AM between 118-137 MHz.

It would then be relatively easy to request the customer's address details from each seller (backed up by law) and start narrowing down this list to the area of interest.
I'm pretty sure most of that would be 'circumstantial evidence'. None of that proves the defendant did anything. The rest of your case would be, I suspect, challenged in court.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
EddieP
Regular
Regular

Post by EddieP »

I wonder who would do the investigation. My short list will be: local plod, special branch, GCHQ, OFCOM, or CAA.

Any thoughts people.

Also would it be dealt with as a crime, a radio spectrum issue or terrorism?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:I'm pretty sure most of that...........
If they were experienced with dealing with the law then they probably would keep their mouth firmly shut, lawyer up (pardon my American), go to court and hope for the best - you're right.

Not sure what would happen in court mind, as they would have clear forensic evidence linking the radio to the crime. Presumably whoever had it in their possession would have to account for it's whereabouts at the time of the crime, kind of like if they found a bloody murder knife on your living room table. Heck, in Scotland they don't even need a body or any physical evidence whatsoever to bang you up for murder anymore, but I digress...

No, the point I was going to make was that I reckon the sort of person who might have the kind of experience and balls necessary to walk from that bust is probably not going to be running around drawing attention to themselves by "talking to the pilots" on a walkie talkie.
Last edited by kr0ne on 12 Nov 2013, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

EddieP wrote:I wonder who would do the investigation.
I think it would be the local police with support from Ofcom and the aviation related bodies.

I don't think they would go the terrorism route, too much of a political hot potato. And I don't think that the security services would be involved.

I think there would probably be a lot of political pressure behind the scenes from higher up to catch and make a huge example of the culprit in order to deter others from doing the same though.

All pure conjecture of course... (everything I have posted in this thread) ;)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:
kr0ne wrote:As soon as the police become involved, they can get access to all sorts of information that your average DFer wouldn't even think of.

I'm pretty sure most of that would be 'circumstantial evidence'. None of that proves the defendant did anything. The rest of your case would be, I suspect, challenged in court.

Yes, but a knock on the door from plod would probably make said Pleb cak-themselves and get rid of the offending radio pretty soonish right?

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I reckon the chances are they would incriminate themselves further with the first few words out of their mouths...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstantial_evidence