Air Band & scanners.

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Post Reply
work
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 23:39
Call Sign: KG6M0

Air Band & scanners.

Post by work » 11 Aug 2013, 23:19

Hi I don't know much about air band but enjoy listening to air traffic. I understand that their is a military air band frequency between 230MHz - 400MHz why don't air band scanners have those frequencies available? Are those frequencies still in use?

I also listen to a HF frequency somewhere around 17MHz I can't remember the exact frequency but its a Volmet broadcast witch is repeated on some other frequencies. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me a complete list of all the Air Band frequencies HF/VHF/UHF.

I'm also interested in obtaining a home-base Air Band receiver "preferably something 1980's vintage looking" but have no idea of makes or models of any. The batteries in my scanner don't last for long :lol:

User avatar
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 711
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 10:07
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by liamcarbin » 12 Aug 2013, 00:01

work wrote:Hi I don't know much about air band but enjoy listening to air traffic. I understand that their is a military air band frequency between 230MHz - 400MHz why don't air band scanners have those frequencies available? Are those frequencies still in use?
Yes these freqs are still in use. You will need a scanner that can receive this band to listen to them.
work wrote: I also listen to a HF frequency somewhere around 17MHz I can't remember the exact frequency but its a Volmet broadcast witch is repeated on some other frequencies. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me a complete list of all the Air Band frequencies HF/VHF/UHF.
Volmet

125.725 Scottish Volmet
126.6 London Volmet North
127.0 Dublin
128.6 London Volmet South
135.375 London Volmet Main
(HF)
3413 Shannon
5505 Shannon
8957 Shannon
13264 Shannon
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent


Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
Realistic Pro-70 Hyperscan
Moonraker Skyscan Mobile Antenna
R820T Dongle ADSB Receiver
TYT-MD380

User avatar
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1816
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 13:22

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by RogerD » 12 Aug 2013, 08:45

Hi

To answer your first Q)
A) the 230-400 'mil air' band is seen as more of a niche specialist area of the hobby by scanner manufacturers.
It's more expensive to add it,
it's difficult for newbies for various reasons (including : there's less traffic, it's harder to find stuff, you're not 'supposed' to be able to find frequencies published, etc),
and the authorities of most countries would frown upon people intercepting mil radio traffic.....

- so it doesn't tend to end up on 'banded' receivers, only the wide continuous coverage ones.

HTH

User avatar
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1816
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 13:22

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by RogerD » 12 Aug 2013, 08:48

work wrote:I'm also interested in obtaining a home-base Air Band receiver "preferably something 1980's vintage looking" but have no idea of makes or models of any. The batteries in my scanner don't last for long :lol:
Does it have a plug-in power socket? :D

neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:13
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by neil-c » 12 Aug 2013, 12:50

RogerD wrote:
work wrote:I'm also interested in obtaining a home-base Air Band receiver "preferably something 1980's vintage looking" but have no idea of makes or models of any. The batteries in my scanner don't last for long :lol:
Does it have a plug-in power socket? :D
The old Realistics make good base scanners, something like a Pro2006 or Pro2042 would suite your needs and should probably be picked up cheap enough.

I tend not to use the power pack with my handhelds, I find they pick up too many spurious freqs running on mains for some reason. I use Duracell/Energizer 2450`s with the Energizer 1 hour charger.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+

scanhermit
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 458
Joined: 11 Jan 2014, 09:45

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by scanhermit » 25 Jan 2014, 09:11

I have a Grecom PSR 295. It's not in the least retro but it does cover the military freqs.

Volvo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 28
Joined: 28 Nov 2013, 14:53
Location: North Lincolnshire

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by Volvo » 26 Jan 2014, 09:31

I have a PSR 295 and it would be ideal for your needs
PSR295 SBS1er Auroa ssx Bct15x

User avatar
Beefeater
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 09:47
Call Sign: TM727
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by Beefeater » 26 Jan 2014, 12:11

I also have a PSR295 with mil band and various accessories inc PSU which i will be looking to sell if you are interested.PM me for more details if interested
Anytone AT-5555 v3 Transceiver,
Wallen Modulator Antenna
Yaesu FT-77 Transceiver
Motorola GP-340 x2
Eton Satellit 750 Receiver
Yupiteru MVT-7100 Handheld Scanner

User avatar
Beefeater
Regular
Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 09:47
Call Sign: TM727
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Air Band & scanners.

Post by Beefeater » 26 Jan 2014, 12:26

What a c--k up i made,just seen date of original post,so might advertise them in for sale section
Anytone AT-5555 v3 Transceiver,
Wallen Modulator Antenna
Yaesu FT-77 Transceiver
Motorola GP-340 x2
Eton Satellit 750 Receiver
Yupiteru MVT-7100 Handheld Scanner

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests