What improvements can I make?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
MopeyGecko
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: PapaVictor

What improvements can I make?

Post by MopeyGecko »

Hi folks. First post on the forum.

I'm currently using a uniden 92xlt and a miniscan antenna indoors stuck temporarily to the top plaster bead on my window. I'm approximately 7 miles from the airport and I'm able to hear both sides of tower and approach on a good day. Aircraft are for the most part clear as day however the communications from ground are quite noisy and I miss quite a lot. I've read the next step would be to get an external aerial up on the roof so my question is which should I be looking at along with cables and fixings?

I'm North of Newcastle so tower is 119.70 and approach is 124.375. From the threads I've read people keep recommending a d777, is this suitable? Can I pick this up locally and what fixings and cable would I need to mount on a chimney?
user8666

Re: What improvements can I make?

Post by user8666 »

first of all welcome to the forum yes a base antenna would be better I use this http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/radio-scan ... er-b1300-n

with rg58 coax cable with a pl259 on each end then you need this to screw on one end of the plug ntype pl259 adaptor so it will screw into this areial and for the scanner side a pl259 to bnc adaptor I live 6 miles from airport on the runway approach and I work there to here is the freqs
tower 119.7
ground 121.725
radar 124.375 uhf repeater 284.6
director 125.825
swissport 122.05
servisair 130.6
samart handling 131.9
user8666

Re: What improvements can I make?

Post by user8666 »

and for the chimney 2 to 3 ft aluminium pole do not use a steel pole and a chimney lashing kit