AIRNAV RADARBOX ON A PLANE

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
kiwi272
Regular
Regular

AIRNAV RADARBOX ON A PLANE

Post by kiwi272 »

As the title says, I'm flying to Abu Dhabi in a few weeks on Etihad. I've flown with them a few times and they provide an in seat power outlet for laptops, phones ect....

I'm wondering if I should "risk" taking my airnav radar box with me, I've upgraded with my airmiles so I'm flying business class, meaning I'll have my own, personal, private seat, I've tried an FM/AM radio on the same flight route and I had BBC radio up until northern Germany. I need advice

Should I take my airnav with me and use it? I don't want people to think "terrorist". A laptop, with a wire attached to a black box and an antenna doesn't look good...hmmm what to do
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: AIRNAV RADARBOX ON A PLANE

Post by smoggy07 »

kiwi272 wrote:As the title says, I'm flying to Abu Dhabi in a few weeks on Etihad. I've flown with them a few times and they provide an in seat power outlet for laptops, phones ect....

I'm wondering if I should "risk" taking my airnav radar box with me, I've upgraded with my airmiles so I'm flying business class, meaning I'll have my own, personal, private seat, I've tried an FM/AM radio on the same flight route and I had BBC radio up until northern Germany. I need advice

Should I take my airnav with me and use it? I don't want people to think "terrorist". A laptop, with a wire attached to a black box and an antenna doesn't look good...hmmm what to do
I personally wouldn't want to risk the un-due attention it could bring lol

You could ring the airline and ask them if you can use it and if they say yes, ask for confirmation in writing or by email so you can print it out to show the crew

failing that (or if the airline say no), and your sure you`ll get past security with it, ask to speak to the captain when you board, show him the airnav and maybe demonstrate it on the ground for him, show him that it is receive only and what the box does and see if he says yes, after all, its his flight and he has over all responsibility for the passengers and crew, you never know, the captain might even be an airnav owner lol
26TM234
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

What about getting a dongle which can be used as an ads-b receiver instead?

https://www.cosycave.co.uk/category.php?id_category=61
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
Realistic Pro-70 Hyperscan
Moonraker Skyscan Mobile Antenna
R820T Dongle ADSB Receiver
TYT-MD380
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

liamcarbin wrote:What about getting a dongle which can be used as an ads-b receiver instead?

Interesting. Does that work well? I'm guessing some kind of software is required to change the functionality?
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

Glamdring wrote:
liamcarbin wrote:What about getting a dongle which can be used as an ads-b receiver instead?

Interesting. Does that work well? I'm guessing some kind of software is required to change the functionality?
Works very well. I have one. You can set it up to be used with planeplotter or you can use software called GLobe S. http://rtl1090.jetvision.de/
Many users of the dongle also have Airnav/Kinetic boxes and they say the dongle performs just as good and in some cases better. The antenna that it comes with however is good but I upgraded mine to an antenna designed for ADSB and I am now recieving much more aircraft.

Very helpful website here, which has videos of how to set the dongle up etc and links in the videos to download all the neccessary software etc.
nicstorey.co.uk/planeplotter/Getting Started

For the money I paid for it I am more than happy :D
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
TYT-MD380
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

Here are a few images so you can see what it's like

Dongle using Planeplotter

Dongle using Globe-S RTL1090 edition
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
TYT-MD380
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Nice. Would this also work with a PCI DVB TV card?
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

Glamdring wrote:Nice. Would this also work with a PCI DVB TV card?
As far as I know it only works with dongles containing a certain chipset
26TM234
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Just ordered a dongle for a tenner. Beats the 400+ quid for the Kinetics box.
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

Glamdring wrote:Nice. Would this also work with a PCI DVB TV card?
I'm afraid not, it only works with a specific chip from realtek.
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
TYT-MD380
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

Glamdring wrote:Just ordered a dongle for a tenner. Beats the 400+ quid for the Kinetics box.
:D Certainly does, £10 for an ADSB receiver, you cant go wrong really.
Word of warning, do not install the drivers from the disk that is provided.
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
TYT-MD380
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c »

I have never tried on of the tv dongle type things but I use the MicroAdsb ..... http://www.microadsb.com/

It`s more expensive then the tv dongles but still a damn site cheaper than the Kinetic/Airnav offerings.

I am thinking as a bit of an experiment trying to see if my Funcube Pro+ would do it as well. Would be interesting to see the reception difference between the two.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

neil-c wrote:I am thinking as a bit of an experiment trying to see if my Funcube Pro+ would do it as well. Would be interesting to see the reception difference between the two.
My understanding is it won't work since it doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to allow decoding of ADSB signal, the DVB-T dongles can sample greater than the 192KHz possible with the FCDP+
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

You want one with the RTL2832 chipset and the R820t tuner chip...

I've bought quite a few from here now and so far no duds:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170942168690? ... 1497.l2649

The main thing that they are lacking is front end filtering. If you can add this yourself then you are really laughing but you can get fairly decent results barefoot as well.

There are a few threads about these on here but check out this site for starters:

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

I have one connected to a Raspberry Pi SBC which runs a Linux based OS and some software that uses the dongle and serves up the I/Q data over TCP/IP via the rPi's Ethernet connection.

This means that you can have the dongle located at the antenna and just run a single piece of Cat5 up to it to provide power and data. You then just point SDR#, or whatever, at the IP address you have given to the rPi and away you go - no cable losses! :D

I have also written a shell script that reads the incoming frequency changes being sent to the dongle and uses this to switch on and off different LEDs attached to the rPi, depending on the frequency set. My plan is to build a bunch of filters and switch them in and out using PIN diodes in place of the LEDs. A simple PHP page can also also be used to make manual alterations to to the filter selections, or even switch in a LNA.

I had my first child a couple od days before Christmas though, well... the missus did... so all my projects are kind of on hold at the moment. The little bugler is asleep on my knee as I type... :)
bingybongy
Regular
Regular

Post by bingybongy »

Be interested in seeing your script, if you dont mind sharing?
Bingy bongy dingy dangy ...