Diamond D-777 airband antenna

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
elliotg

Diamond D-777 airband antenna

Post by elliotg »

Hi all
I just bought this antenna a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. Got it set up in my atic bedroom mounted on the wall using a 5m RG58 coax connected to my UBC780XLT. The results i have got so far have been amazing. I live in Edinburgh and get some of the Scottish ATC Controllers at Prestwick but not on all freqs. 126.3000 and 124.8250 i get nothing but the controllers are now full strength. Will be able to try more when i get home this afternoon after work but first impression is this is a really good antenna. I know i would get even better results if mounted on the roof but that is not a option and well the atic is close enough lol.
Whistler TRX-1
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Diamond D-777 airband antenna

Post by bigbassman »

Have a gander at this little web page that I happened upon recently.I know it says Bristol airfield,but there are a lot of useful frequencies there,including some good Scottish Control ones.Good luck with the D-777.

http://www.bristolairfield.co.uk/atc_fr ... ibrary.php
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
FAH
Regular
Regular

Post by FAH »

elliotg wrote: Hi all
I just bought this antenna a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. Got it set up in my atic bedroom mounted on the wall using a 5m RG58 coax connected to my UBC780XLT. The results i have got so far have been amazing. I live in Edinburgh and get some of the Scottish ATC Controllers at Prestwick but not on all freqs. 126.3000 and 124.8250 i get nothing but the controllers are now full strength. Will be able to try more when i get home this afternoon after work but first impression is this is a really good antenna. I know i would get even better results if mounted on the roof but that is not a option and well the atic is close enough lol.
Posted: 07 Aug 2012, 10:37
I am considering buying this aerial, and am glad to hear a positive first hand review. But would you be as good as to tell me what connectors are needed and coax to connect the antenna to the scanner?

Many Thanks
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

It requires a PL259. I bought coax (5m) already fitted with one socket at each end and bought a adaptor to connect to BNC socket on scanner.
Whistler TRX-1
FAH
Regular
Regular

Post by FAH »

elliotg wrote:It requires a PL259. I bought coax (5m) already fitted with one socket at each end and bought a adaptor to connect to BNC socket on scanner.
Cheers. I've gone and ordered the antenna up.
stu
Call Sign: MM6HZA

Post by stu »

Glad to hear its working well Elliot. Im currently using an active nomad antenna in the loft which lets me pick up high flyers north of Inverness and as far south as Norfolk !!. Am also getting the Scottish controllers too - just shows what you can do with a decent bit of kit !!

Enjoy yours :D
DX:Tecsun S2000,Tecsun PL660,Tecsun PL310-ET,Sony SRF-59, Degen DE1103,Wellbrook ALA1530LN
Scan:Uniden UBC3500XLT, Yaesu VR120D, TSC-100R
Ham:Baofeng UV-5RE, Baofeng GT-3TP
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Cheers for the replies guys :-). Yeah am happy with the results am getting. Not tested to see how far South i can hear aircraft yet but Norfolk thats impressive how clear can you hear them at that distance?
Whistler TRX-1
stu
Call Sign: MM6HZA

Post by stu »

elliotg wrote:Cheers for the replies guys :-). Yeah am happy with the results am getting. Not tested to see how far South i can hear aircraft yet but Norfolk thats impressive how clear can you hear them at that distance?
To be honest the signal strength / quality is quite low but the transmissions are still clear enough to hear and understand. I did however recently hear one aircraft being handed over to Amsterdam Control and he was coming through as clear as a bell - he was over the sea abeam of Norfolk. It was quite early in the morning so I suspect atmospherics etc played a bit in helping with that.
DX:Tecsun S2000,Tecsun PL660,Tecsun PL310-ET,Sony SRF-59, Degen DE1103,Wellbrook ALA1530LN
Scan:Uniden UBC3500XLT, Yaesu VR120D, TSC-100R
Ham:Baofeng UV-5RE, Baofeng GT-3TP
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

FAH wrote:
elliotg wrote:It requires a PL259. I bought coax (5m) already fitted with one socket at each end and bought a adaptor to connect to BNC socket on scanner.
You should have waited, you could have bought it for £5 more delivered than new.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
FAH
Regular
Regular

Post by FAH »

Admiral wrote:
FAH wrote:
You should have waited, you could have bought it for £5 more delivered than new.
If only I had!
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

My D-777 will be moving home shortly from my atic to my chimney. What is the best cable to use?
Whistler TRX-1
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

elliotg wrote:My D-777 will be moving home shortly from my atic to my chimney. What is the best cable to use?

No takers then?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Nah long story was gonna sell as i don't have much room for it in my atic bedroom and i managed to get my parents to let me put it on the roof after some doing. Was not really wanting to sell it as it's a great antenna :-).
Whistler TRX-1
Brian555
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Brian555 »

Hi Elliotg
I live in East Craigs Edinburgh EH12 and was wondering if you could advise me on an ariel for my scanner. Does the one you purchased work with my scanner ?
I am a complete novice in this area and any help would be appreciated. My scanner is a Yupiteru VT-225 which I've had for many years
Cheers
Brian