FLIGHTRADAR24 AND SIMILAR

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
YORTONJUNCTION
Banned
Banned

FLIGHTRADAR24 AND SIMILAR

Post by YORTONJUNCTION » 21 Jun 2012, 20:36

Have just found Flightradar24, that lets you watch civil Heavy air traffic in real time on the pc..
Does any member know of a sililar program the lets you look at light civilian aircraft/helicopters, and/or military aeroplanes.
Thanks in advance.

northdevon
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6CCH

Re: FLIGHTRADAR24 AND SIMILAR

Post by northdevon » 23 Jun 2012, 15:59

Hi

I am a bit rusty on this, but for flying light aircraft you do not need to submit a flight plan unless crossing an expanse of water (then voluntary) or crossing international borders, so no one knows where you are or what you are up to till you call up as you enter someone's controlled airspace. There are regulations for flying to/from Ireland and the Channel Islands in addition.
So there would not be any information on departure/destination and a/c type to assign to the system. Also, light aircraft may not have the required radio kit to transmit the information to the ground stations. Shame really, be interesting.
I am sure there are government organizations who would love to monitor domestic flights and require live monitoring.
At Headcorn in Kent,I was told the 'air traffic control officer' was the field owner, in shorts on a deck chair with a handheld radio.
Regards
Alan
Alan North Devon
M6CCH(at long last).
FT 897D
Alinco DJV57 Hand Held
CB in car
Madland Handheld

thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad » 23 Jun 2012, 17:46

Try planeplotter (i am on my mobile otherwise i would provide you with a link) it works on aircraft tracking system.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6

neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c » 24 Jun 2012, 16:00

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

It`s a one off payment to buy the software and get the normal civil airline traffic, for the light civil/military stuff you will need mlat (an optional add-on with Planeplotter).
I think that works out to about £15 a year but if you have got one of the various flavours of radar boxes and share your data you get it for free.
It is all explained in the link so have a read through and see what you think about it. I use it myself with my Micro-adsb and recommend it highly.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 26 Jun 2012, 21:56

And if you loiter around airport viewing areas Flightradar24 is available as an android app for your smartphone, and probably iOS as well.

Even on my baby Galaxy it looks really cool in landscape, and has the same functionality as the PC version.

BTW, should this not be in the Scanning & Shortwave Listening forum?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c » 27 Jun 2012, 16:18

yeah it would be better in the scanning/airband section but you are right about the Flightradar24 app Admiral, it is excellent.
I don't know which version you are using but I use the payware pro version which gives a few more features over the free one. More info about the aircraft with a photo, the ability to filter the flights what you want to see and the ARview function.
That works similar to Google sky as in if you see an aircraft you can point the phone at it using the camera screen and it will put a label next to it showing what it is. Needs the gps to be enabled for best accuracy though. Hard to fault for about 3 quid.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+

YORTONJUNCTION
Banned
Banned

Post by YORTONJUNCTION » 29 Jun 2012, 03:31

Admiral wrote:And if you loiter around airport viewing areas Flightradar24 is available as an android app for your smartphone, and probably iOS as well.

Even on my baby Galaxy it looks really cool in landscape, and has the same functionality as the PC version.

BTW, should this not be in the Scanning & Shortwave Listening forum?
Many thanks to all for the interesting replies. I was not sure which part of the forum to put the request on, so I plumped for HAM Radio general, as it seemed to cover most aspects of the hobby.
Thank you alll again,
YJ

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 29 Jun 2012, 18:18

It must be the paid for one neil as I get the photos and terminal info. But if I paid for it then it would have been cheap :o

It's the second best app on my phone behind the Moshi Monster one.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

tomos

Post by tomos » 03 Jul 2012, 10:01

Give in to your urges.....

You want to purchase a Kinetic SBS-3
a copy of Active disply and there you have it
Virtual radar and traffic display real time from your arm chair :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christo
Regular
Regular

Post by Christo » 03 Jul 2012, 17:23

Just found FlightRadar yesterday myself. What an amazing resource. My wife was away in Hamburg yesterday and I could track the flight all the way. What was really cool was hearing the flight make contact with Gatwick Approach R20, then handover to Gatwick Tower and then over to Gatwick Ground once it had landed.
With FlightRadar, suddenly all Airband suddenly comes to life.

Fantastic find. :D

YORTONJUNCTION
Banned
Banned

Post by YORTONJUNCTION » 07 Jul 2012, 07:28

Christo wrote:Just found FlightRadar yesterday myself. What an amazing resource. My wife was away in Hamburg yesterday and I could track the flight all the way. What was really cool was hearing the flight make contact with Gatwick Approach R20, then handover to Gatwick Tower and then over to Gatwick Ground once it had landed.
With FlightRadar, suddenly all Airband suddenly comes to life.

Fantastic find. :D
I also found it very fascinating, Christo...also when I am in the back garden with my laptop running the program, I can see the planes flying over. Excellent program, thank you, JY

globalfish
Regular
Regular

Post by globalfish » 08 Jul 2012, 14:49

I always seem to find 'Planefinder' a little better than 'Flightradar' personally. There always seemed to be more aircraft shown on it - at least for my area around Herts.
Both are good freebies though so either way, can't grumble.

YORTONJUNCTION
Banned
Banned

Post by YORTONJUNCTION » 08 Jul 2012, 18:10

globalfish wrote:I always seem to find 'Planefinder' a little better than 'Flightradar' personally. There always seemed to be more aircraft shown on it - at least for my area around Herts.
thank you GF, i also have both progs. as you say "freebies"...pretty good for sky-watching. Still looking for something similar that could displat aircraft with different types to transponder,,, civil and / or militarty. Any ideas ??
YJ

Glamdring

Post by Glamdring » 08 Jul 2012, 19:39

YORTONJUNCTION wrote:
globalfish wrote:I always seem to find 'Planefinder' a little better than 'Flightradar' personally. There always seemed to be more aircraft shown on it - at least for my area around Herts.
thank you GF, i also have both progs. as you say "freebies"...pretty good for sky-watching. Still looking for something similar that could displat aircraft with different types to transponder,,, civil and / or militarty. Any ideas ??
YJ
As previously mentioned, the only way to get more is to get PlanePlotter with either a paid subscription or by sharing your own Radarbox/SBS1 data.

bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman » 03 Aug 2012, 10:14

Difference I found with Planefinder is that the details aren't shown on the display.You have to click on the icon and then you get a separate window with all the details.On FR24 the details are there all the time and you can pick which details you want to see eg alt,speed,to and from etc.But I think Planefinder looks a little bit better on screen,aesthetically like.
1 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 2 X Uniden UBC9000XLT Tristar777 LCL 2740.