which antenna best for air band civil and military

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

which antenna best for air band civil and military

Post by WARLOCK »

do i have to have 2 antennas to receive booth the civil and the military air bands or is there one out there that will be ok for the 2 bands,how about me makeing one,anyone got any plans or can tell me how to make 1 or 2 which ever the case will be
warlock1946
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: which antenna best for air band civil and military

Post by dcwuk »

Thisw will do you very nicely and i doubt you could build it at this price :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Radioshack-VHF-Hi ... 518f2121cb
regards
dcw
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

There's two dual band colinears that I know of for airband, they are
Twig1
and
Twig2
I use two antennas for mine via a diplexer, VHF is a Ringo Ranger II and UHF is a homebrew ground plane made from 2" ali tube to try and increase bandwidth.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

i like the thought of makeing a antenna myself so please can you give me the lengths need to be for the military air band ?
warlock1946
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

I'm toying with the idea of making a twin dipole, with a single feed point, inside pvc tubing, for a chap I work with, the idea being that it can be vertical or horizontal and capable of being stuck in the ground whilst he's on a hill side taking pics of military jets. I'd cut the dipoles so they are centred on the separate bands.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

I can't remember off the top of my head, it's on the roof too so can't meaure it. I would have used the old calculator of finding the band centre MHz and divide that into 234 for a 1/4 wave length. I mounted it, heath robinson style on some delrin sheet, an old Firestik mount and some big washers :lol:
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Its a bit more complex but a twin slim-jim design gives a usable bandwidth gain at the frequency they are cut for. A dimensions calculator and construction details can be found here: http://www.m0ukd.com/Calculators/Slim_Jim/index.php
tomed

Post by tomed »

I've just bought a Diamond D-777. Hopefully it will be an improvement on my scan stick!
The only worry i have is that i will be using the already in place RG58 (Twin Shielded) coax that i had to the wide band antenna! Does anyone think i should invest in a better quality coax? The length is approx 14mtr.
Uniden UBC 9000XLT
tommie1shunt
Regular
Regular

Post by tommie1shunt »

Northern, I made one those homemade aerials, mine is got 3 dipoles on it. Now mounted on a pole at the back of the house. Am pleased with the results, much better than the commercial discone it replaced. I would sat go for it from memory mine cost the grand sum of £8 or so, most of this was the piping from B&Q.
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

Yes, go for it. It will make a big difference. No need to spend silly money but something like Westflex 103 will do the job very nicely.

Neil
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42
tomed

Post by tomed »

Neil_M wrote:Yes, go for it. It will make a big difference. No need to spend silly money but something like Westflex 103 will do the job very nicely.

Neil
Thanks Neil-M i've taken your advice and bought 15mtrs of Westflex 103 from Radio World.They said the same as yourself that RG58 would be far too lossy! Thanks again.....
Uniden UBC 9000XLT
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

My Diamond X-30 is fed with W103. I did go a bit OTT with self-amalgamating tape to make sure all the connectors were waterproof but it's been there for 16 years without a hitch - can't be bad!

Neil
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42
tomed

Post by tomed »

Neil_M wrote:My Diamond X-30 is fed with W103. I did go a bit OTT with self-amalgamating tape to make sure all the connectors were waterproof but it's been there for 16 years without a hitch - can't be bad!

Neil
Hi Neil. I also tape up all my connections! better safe than sorry. I always used thread lock aswell just incase something works itself loose!
Uniden UBC 9000XLT
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

I'd be very interested in the performance of the 777, can you take some signal readings before you replace your existing antenna, maybe on a beacon, Volmet and something on UHF if you can find anything and compare them when the 777 is up.

Another vote here for W103, I use it on everything, the only pain are the N plugs, either splash out on the correct diameter pin variety or get filing on the inner core to make it fit regular plugs.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

tommie1shunt wrote:Northern, I made one those homemade aerials, mine is got 3 dipoles on it. Now mounted on a pole at the back of the house. Am pleased with the results, much better than the commercial discone it replaced. I would sat go for it from memory mine cost the grand sum of £8 or so, most of this was the piping from B&Q.
Eight quid, good God man, do you think I'm made of money :lol: and so much more rewarding to use than a commercial product, thanks for your feedback, it justifies the significant financial outlay :lol:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot