When did Airband HF go so quite.

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
nickjaxe
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M6LPL

When did Airband HF go so quite.

Post by nickjaxe » 26 Sep 2018, 19:05

Started listening to aircraft HF again a few months ago...a shadow of its former self...I take it data transmission has taken over???

Shanwick on 5649 was my fav....very sad.

Nick in the UK.

Mikel

Re: When did Airband HF go so quite.

Post by Mikel » 28 Sep 2018, 08:33

I have just checked on my HF receiver (Lowe HF225) and Shanwick on 5649 is very busy here this morning as are many other Shanwick frequencies so maybe its a problem your end?

In fact though to be honest at my QTH the noise level on HF has become so bad that its almost impossible to hear much at all on HF below an S7 most of the time, especially on the lower HF bands. This morning things are unusually calm on the noise front hence being able to hear 5649 amongst other things.

I tend to use the online KiwiSDR radios for all of my listening below about 12m these days. If you haven't seen them this is the page to head for:

https://sdr.hu/

For those that don't know, there are over 300 receivers all over the world (almost 30 in the UK and Ireland) and I find them so addictive that I have to restrict my use of them as I would never get anything done! I think there are a couple in the Cheshire area but have a look on the map:

https://sdr.hu/map

The one I tend to use most of the time is located about 30 miles or so as the crow flies from me and is a superb listening tool so all credit to G8JNJ who has set it up. It is a very popular receiver and can be hard to access at times. Here is the link for it:

http://southwest.ddns.net:8073/

What ever happens happy listening and welcome to TM1.

Mikel

Post by Mikel » 11 Oct 2018, 19:13

Does anybody else find it strange when someone joins a forum to ask a question - gets an answer but you don't hear from them again? Arn't people the strangest creatures on the planet?

grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter » 11 Oct 2018, 21:36

The same question crossed my mind but he's an M6 and probably got bored of the entire hobby, sold up and took on something new a day after posting. Where's Pimp when you need a welcoming committee? ;)
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.

Mikel

Post by Mikel » 12 Oct 2018, 10:40

Yes, you could well be right!