sdrplay - what software / driver ?

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

sdrplay - what software / driver ?

Post by gmham »

Guys had an sdrplay 1 kicking around the shack for a while now and would like to give it a try and see just how much off an improvment they are over the old £10 tv sticks ?! being out off the scene for a while not sure off whats changed so could someone advise what would be a good easy and not too complicated windows 10 software I could run with the sdrplay 1 ? also in the future will be looking to use a sdr decoding programme ( DSD + is it ? ) is this decoding programme a stand alone software or does it run require another software installed with it ? lastly what driver do I require for the sdr play, nothing installed as yet and want to get it right first time !! :D
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: sdrplay - what software / driver ?

Post by Admiral »

SDRuno available from the SDRplay website seems to be an easy solution as it alleges to have all the drivers included to get you started.

http://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

perfect will check it out, what about the digital decoding software DSD+ this work with the sdr uno ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

Yes, just install the virtual cable driver, then in sdruno, select settings, then OUT then in the dropdown box (wme Output Device) select "Cable Input (VB-Audio). You will then have to hit the stop button, then the play button again for the audio to swap over to the Virtual Cable, then DSD+ will work fine if you have the volume level set correctly.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay thats fine hopefully even I can manage that. anyone aware off any decent video guides on downloading / installing and using dsd+
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

It's a stand-alone .exe file that opens four DOS-like windows, there are no settings to alter on DSD+, you have to get your input volume somewhere near, but halfway should be about right, it is very forgiving.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay cheers bit late now but will have another look tomorrow as had a choice off dsd+v101 or dsd+v101DLL files within download page..... lost !!!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Right seem to have everything set up with regards sdruno. for the life off me I cant see where I adjust the receiver gain thou ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

As Admiral says, just run the DSD+ executable, you can run from cmd or a batch file with switches for extra features/logging etc, but no need for basic use, you will need all the DLL's if a first time install though (but not technically installed).

When you run sdruno, make sure you open up the other 3 windows and position/stretch them to where you want, you can save a default desktop setup afterwards.

IE, click on the small buttons SP1, then SP2, then RX to open the other windows.

There are some youtube guides on using sdruno.

Which gain?

RF Gain can be adjusted in the main window but may be configured to work in reverse on a clean install.

IF Gain can be adjusted in the main window by clicking on SETT button in the top left, then on the input tab, look at the bottom slider, this can also be set to AGC

AF Gain (volume) can be adjusted on the RX CONTROL window with the orange slider.

I am using an RSP2 though so may be slightly different. Let me know how you get on or need more help.

Going back to your first post, I have been using an NESDR Smart USB RTL stick which is supposed to be one of the better/more sensitive ones, but my new SDRPlay is pulling in more signals than my stick did.

You can use SDRPlay with older versions of SDR#, but I found the SDR# driver for my RSP2 a bit buggy as certain adjustments didn't work. SDRUno is fine once you get used to it, I actually prefer Uno now, so keep at it, you will get it working, but shout up if you need more help.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Perfect will keep at it obviously not an overnight learning thing !!

yep sorry my mistake was talking about the rf gain control,just can't see where I adjust it and if there is a level that most bands etc are comfortable at without constant re setting ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

OK, just to explain a bit more with RF Gain....

With my fresh install, RF gain defaults to "RF Gain Reduction" meaning the higher the slider is set, then less RF gain.

If you go to the main window, select "SETT" then look at "Input Level Display" you can change from "Gain Reduction" to "Gain"

Which may make more sense (it does for me personally), meaning a normal RF gain slider and not a gain reducer slider.

Hope that helps more.

Personally, I am still learning with my rsp2, but once you get the hang of it, you can really pull in the weak signals.
Last edited by bozzy on 27 Jul 2017, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Thanks again mate all makes sense now !! appreciatte that.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

No probs m8, if I can help then please shout up, learning curve for me too.

I have to say that is has been many years since I dabbled with SW and got a few SSTV images now with my rsp2, personally trying to tick off a few boxes with SW data modes.

But if the rsp1 performs as good as the rsp2 in hf modes, then you should pull in more vhf/uhf stuff than an RTL dongle. (If you don't know, main difference with rsp2 is that it can so SW without a converter).

Lots of fun here in HF listening too though and dsd+ to local pub/shop watch from as far as 25 miles away.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay thanks, going to sit down and have a good read thru the instruction manual for this sdruno as I can see there are going to be many more issues popping up no doubt !!

before I do can I just ask.. I now see where you select sett from the main window and change from gain reduction to gain, don't see what I need to do actually change the slider as such for then setting the gain myself ?
also the LO freq readout under the main freq display readout.. what's that ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Now that SDRuno has kindly installed all of your drivers, SDR# may or may not work without any further faffing about, just a thought.