AR-DV1 control - Almost instant frequency acquisition

Here you can discuss radio related computer software and computer control of radio equipment.
Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: AR-DV1 control - Almost instant frequency acquisition

Postby Metradio » 30 Aug 2016, 14:20

Radiotronics wrote:... I suppose it won't be able to to "decrypt" the AES256 transmissions as it doesn't have the public decryption key in order to do so. But should be able to decode the non encrypted TETRA transmissions. Will be interesting to grab the firmware update when it's available.
I can see the use by CCTV control rooms to monitor other services..

Only the non-networked simplex TETRA transmissions...

We've already pucrchased the PC software ARDV1, is eSPYonARD something else?

One and the same :-)

..I, personally, think this is the best feature (aside from digital decode) that this scanner has. Prior to this, our clients would be using something like a Uniden Bearcat Base scanner and they would get a lot of carrier noise which sometimes stopped the scan. With the tone search feature, al they have to do is wait for the tone to show on the screen, then update the channel memory to only stop on that CTCSS/DCS tone with just a couple of busson presses. Very very good.

I should do a write up on this feature in a "little known tips and trick for the AR-DV1" thread :-)

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 30 Aug 2016, 15:03

Hi,

As I said I did not start this thread because eSPYonARD for the AR-DV1, but regarding the 'Q' functions, which seemed impossible just a few weeks ago. I do not mean to just to me, I reckon to most if not all of the people interested in Scanning.

The program and 'Q' are of course inter-related as at present 'Q' and 'Q-DB' are only available for the AR-DV1 via eSPYonARD, but perhaps with enough interest I will write it for other receivers.

Probably the only drawback of 'Q' is that it really does seem to make impossible claims re.frequency list acquisition from almost any source, without user modification, and unlimited instantly available Memories. Except of course all those claims have been verified by users already. It does a lot more too.

I can well understand anyone having a quick read of the claims that are made for 'Q' deciding to read no further, as they seem just too fantastic to be true, but as I said 'Q' is not just an idea, it is a reality now.

So I am not going to bang on about eSPYonARD in this thread, except to say if you have an AR-DV1 then I hope you download the Try Before You Buy version and see for yourself.

It would be impossible not to mention eSPYonARD of course, but the way to find about 'Q' is just look at the very brief pdf at the website.

http://pat3380.wix.com/ardv1

However as so much of other contributions have brought eSPYonARD into the picture, I will say that customers should always check the Web-Site regularly, as the program gets lots of updates, mainly new add-ons, although I doubt if there will ever be any to match 'Q'. If you have tried it you will know what I mean.

Radiotronics
Regular
Regular

Postby Radiotronics » 30 Aug 2016, 15:37

Metradio wrote:I should do a write up on this feature in a "little known tips and trick for the AR-DV1" thread :-)

Indeed, would be interesting reading.

Radiotronics
Regular
Regular

Postby Radiotronics » 30 Aug 2016, 15:37

marlbrook wrote:the 'Q' functions...

So as a PRO user already, can we just download the update and get this additional software functionality, or is this an extra licence?

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 30 Aug 2016, 18:31

All updates are free. Just download and run the setup file

eveready
Regular
Regular

Postby eveready » 30 Aug 2016, 18:41

Metradio wrote:I should do a write up on this feature in a "little known tips and trick for the AR-DV1" thread :-)

+1 on this. The manual is ok, but there's a few things it either misses out or are not clear.
Eveready

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

'Q' Functions for Whistler Scanners - (as in AR-DV1)

Postby marlbrook » 10 Sep 2016, 20:35

I bought a Whistler 1088 handheld Analogue and Digital Scanner last week.

This is advertised as a Police Scanner in the U.S. and has only just arrived in the U.K.

Owners have access to the RR database via the supplied, excellent EZ SCAN software, but as previously discussed in Europe that database has very few frequencies.

The software also allows you to import frequency lists, but because of the fact so many are in different formats, it can not do so automatically, which then results in hours of typing.

Ideal for 'Q' I thought, so I have written a version especially for any Whistler Scanners using EZ SCAN.

It is I believe 95% finished, and fully operational.

I need a few BETA testers.

I think the new 'Whistler Q' may work with any radio that uses EZ SCAN, so I hope some of you out there with a Whistler would like to join in the Project.

Even users in the U.S. and Canada will benefit.

Basically, as in eSPYonARD, you can import almost any frequency, in any format, from virtually anywhere, including the WEB.

Whistler 'Q' will sort those frequencies very quickly (30 channels a second) into the exact correct format that EZ SCAN uses. I tested it on a frequency list with 3200 entries, and lots of unwanted lines, and it sorted it correctly in under 2 minutes. Depending on the list it can take as little as 5 to 10 seconds.

You can also add default modes, default Scan-List numbers, and apply Filters to your imported lists, before transferring them to EZ SCAN ready for uploading to the Scanner.

Your lists are automatically saved to your computer.

SO, if you have a Whistler scanner that uses EZ SCAN, and want the power of 'Q', then please reply here initially.

Cheers

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

NEW WEB-SITES

Postby marlbrook » 16 Sep 2016, 09:23

The eSPYonARD website is now:-
http://www.espyonard.com/

Whistler 'Q' is now up, running and a free trial available at:-
http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

TETRA RELEASED

Postby marlbrook » 29 Sep 2016, 10:50

Thae AR-DV1 Tetra firmware is available free, as from today at the AOR site.

AOR have not released any serial commands for TETRA.

So I cannot incorporate it into eSPYonARD yet.

I have had the new button on the program's interface for a few weeks, so hopefully as soon as they do put out the codes I can add the function.

I was a BETA tester for the trial TETRA firmware, and at that time was told AOR had not even written any external commands for it, so how long that takes is beyond my control.

Will keep everyone updated.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

TETRA mode ENABLED and over 1000 'Q' Tetra Frequencies

Postby marlbrook » 14 Oct 2016, 07:31

I uploaded 007 to the web-site this morning.

www.espyonard.com

During the setup, a new sub folder is created with over one thousand likely Tetra frequencies included.

That means you can almost instantly monitor or scan any of them using 'Q' without tying up the radio's actual memories, or programming any in by hand.

Of course I cannot guarantee which, if any, frequencies are operating in your vicinity, or if the AR-DV1 can decode them.

If you are lucky enough to have working Tetra frequencies where you live then PLEASE add details here and I will include them in the next update.

With 'Q' you can very quickly edit, amend, or create your own Tetra /other lists, or import them from almost anywhere.

If the above does not convince you of how powerful, and what a leap forward the 'Q' functions are, then nothing will. Of course you could just try them and find out for yourself.

TRON

Postby TRON » 31 Oct 2016, 14:44

I play with Tetra, and have done for some time. I have recently started to get back into DMR as well.
When the DV1 was released, I thought it was a really neat product. It takes a lot of the effort out of listening in for the casual scanner enthusiast because it simply scans (like any scanner) but will de-modulate automatically.
Being able to "grab" DMR traffic is quite nifty, and the addition of Tetra is quite welcome.

HOWEVER

The damned thing is well over a grand.
This puts it WELL out of the price range of a "casual scanner enthusiast" and (for my mind) well into the professional market.

The only professionals that would likely find this useful are ofcom operatives looking into interference and unlicensed operation.

For the casual scanner enthusiast, a Motorola DM4000 series can be had for about £200, and will include NO software issues. EVER. The downside being that you have to do the research in order to "listen in".
Similarly, for Tetra, a Simoco SRM1000 can be had for about £150 or less if RX is your only goal. For more advanced operations, a Sepura SRG series can be had for around £250.

You are obviously a talented software engineer, and you definitely have a "forgotten market" here. No one bothers with the enthusiasts, and everyone that DOES bother, tends to write garbage.

I wonder if your time would be better spent writing a single program that can take text files of the type you have mentioned, swallow them, and then with the aid of a "drop down box" spit them back out in the appropriate format for a given radio?
Also, there are quite a few radios that can be at least partially controlled over serial. Perhaps one program with different "skins" to control different radios?

I can't remember if the Tetra standard includes details for remote control, or if individual manufacturers are doing it of their own accord, but most of the terminals I have come across will certainly play nice with a terminal window, given the appropriate instructions.

There is a lot of potential here, it just needs to be tapped.

Just my 10p worth...

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 02 Nov 2016, 20:09

I wonder if your time would be better spent writing a single program that can take text files of the type you have mentioned, swallow them, and then with the aid of a "drop down box" spit them back out in the appropriate format for a given radio?

Already started. 'Q' functions are available for the latest Whistler scanners.

http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

https://youtu.be/tGfBiz6r1aU

Latest eSPYonARD for the AR-DV1 is v.6.0006-007D. Some significant additions.

http://www.espyonard.com/

Current users can upgrade for free of course, and anyone can download the Trial and see for themselves

Cheers

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

ADVANCE NEWS

Postby marlbrook » 07 Nov 2016, 11:39

Just before the first TETRA firmware was released, I had started a re-write regarding the AR-DV1's Memory Channel manipulation.

I wanted to make it much easier to change things, and find a way to 'force' the radio to add changes to the Memories automatically just by selecting an individual button on the Main window, Frequency, modes, different squelches, noise reduction and bandwidth settings etc, but still in real-time so Users could hear the results. All with a single mouse click.

Sounds quite easy when you say it quickly, but it was not. The radio is not designed to allow those things under serial control.

I shelved the project, and had to first concentrate on adding Tetra, then fixes re the firmware.

I went back to it a few days ago.

Soon there will be new functions re Memory Channels.

The new functions are not complicated, quite the opposite. The coding is complex, but the operation should make Memory Channel manipulation much easier, and still in real-time so Users can actually hear their effect as changes are made.

The original methods are still available, for those used to them.

The BETA has gone out to be tested.

I realise there have been several updates in the last few weeks, but they were necessary to introduce workarounds regarding firmware 1610B.

It has been over a year since I started this project. Lots of updates since then, but only 3 were directly related to bug fixes, all the others added new functions.

Unless any Gremlins surface, this will probably be the last update for a bit, probably until AOR release a new mode.

Anyone who has the program, or has not updated it for some time really should install v.6.0007-001 when it is posted.

No I have not lost interest. I will still provide 7/7 support. It is just that, especially since the 'Q' additions, and this latest update, the program is about as comprehensive as it can be. It really does raise using the AR-DV1 to previously unimaginable heights.

The 'Trial' is free as always.

Check the web-site for v.6.0007-001. It should be released within a few days.

ardv1

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 01 Dec 2016, 10:42

Most should know that updating is really easy. Just download the new setup file and run it. All your previous settings remain unaltered.

I strongly recommend you install this latest version.

If you have not tried eSPYonARD yet, or tried much earlier versions, then please consider installing the free trial. There have been many changes, improvements and additions over the year. The web-site describes them, and there is a YouTube video showing the standard functions. This is the original video, so an early version. Updating that would result in all the User comments being removed, so I do not want that to happen. It does still give a good idea about the program's operation, although there have been many new functions added since it was made.

www.espyonard.com

Although at the end of the setup it suggests you choose to re-boot, you can ignore that when just updating.

As usual the full details of the update appear as the last entry in the Manual, under the Changes-Log. Here is a summary:

v. (6.0007-002)
1. Changes to VSQ; LSQ; NSQ; AUTO; TSQ; AND DCS selection in order to attempt a 'fix' because of 1610B firmware issues.

2. Changed default SKIN on first installation. All 12 are still available, including the original. Once you choose a Skin the program remembers your choice.

3. Added extra code to deal with even more formats of downloaded / imported frequency files in 'Q'.

NOTES re. FIRMWARE 1610B
Because firmware 1610B contains the TETRA mode, most people will wish to use it.

There are several anomalies that have been introduced with 1610B. None of them seriously affect the operation of the AR-DV1 (in manual or under software control), but they sometimes produce strange results.

In the main they are triggered whenever the radio calls VFOZ. IF bandwidth, Mode, Step, various Squelch functions especially during a Search, and other things, do not always behave correctly.

These things happen if the radio is controlled entirely manually, i.e. by its buttons, so are not caused by eSPYonARD or by serial communications.

The program has to refer to VFOZ from time to time, and use that VFO for various functions.
After a lot of work, I have created temporary 'fixes' that force the AR-DV1's firmware to behave as it should with almost all the 'bugs'. Usually these occur in the background, and have no visible affects. It may take a second for the program to identify that a firmware bug has kicked in, and to correct it.

The good news is that when using eSPYonARD the 1610B firmware issues are controlled, and most 'fixed' in the background.

END OF YEAR TIP
In a Search or Scan particularly, the program has to constantly send out and process numerous commands in order to keep its screen updated.
The program is intuitive, and if it starts to receive errors from the AR-DV1 it 'slows' down Search and Scan, but only as far as the information is displayed on the program's screen.
Errors may be caused by many factors, including any load on the P.C. at the time, and the number of USB devices connected. From time to time, whilst the program is scanning, right-click the MEM-SCAN button. This resets the 'delay' to its default value.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Re: AR-DV1 control - program update

Postby marlbrook » 25 Feb 2017, 20:22

Version - 6.0007-003A, with new function added in latest 1702D firmware update, available at www.espyonard.com

Return to “Computer Control and Software”