AR-DV1 control - Almost instant frequency acquisition

Here you can discuss radio related computer software and computer control of radio equipment.
marlbrook
Regular
Regular

AR-DV1 control - Almost instant frequency acquisition

Postby marlbrook » 21 Aug 2016, 16:15

I regret to say I only found out today this Forum existed. Up till now I only knew about the US Radio Reference and the UK Scanning Forums.

I know it may seem like it, but it is not intended as an advert. I am not pushing anyone to buy the program, there
is a fully functional 'Try Before You Buy' version at the web-site (with some limitations as you would expect). If
you are interested in scanning then you really should read this.

This post is about the AOR AR-DV1 and the program eSPYonARD VI. I must declare a slight interest, as I wrote it,
lol.

You may, or may not have heard of it, but it should be of interest to anyone who has, or is considering buying an
AR-DV1.

I am posting this because this is 'my baby' and I just want lots of people to try it and see what they think. I am
a 'one man band'. This is my only scanner program. I created it because at the time there was not one available,
and it grew from there.

Well there is nothing amateurish about the program, quality is what quality does, and there is nothing like it out there. Nine months of solid graft because I wanted to bring out my AR-DV1's full potential and make it easy to use.I achieved that and a lot more. The AR-DV1 can now do things it was never designed for.

Apart from controlling the AR-DV1, and adding extra functions like SD Card audio recording and Audio Alerts, I
came up with an idea just 3 weeks ago, which is now available, and it is generating a lot of excitement, not the
least of which for me, when I use it.

I believe it revolutionises frequency acquisition and manipulation for the scanner world. It achieves what most
people, including me, would have appeared impossible. Quite a claim I know, but anyone can easily verify whether
it is true or not.

The latest function is called 'Q-DB', and with it you can:-

Import almost ANY frequency list from anywhere, including the Net, and have the entire list up and running on the
AR-DV1 in seconds, for instant frequency transfer or scanning,

You can simply create your own frequency lists in a Notepad file, or edit one you have downloaded ready for
immediate use in your receiver. Call the file anything you want. Add as much description as you like. As long as
each line contains a frequency and a mode the program deals with it.

The latest updated version, not available yet lets you automatically add a default mode to any list which only
contains a frequency in each line, and store your 'Q-DB' files in sub folders for easy access. People are likely
to create many of them.

Lists that can be 'sorted'with a single mouse click, so that no matter what the original looked like, within
seconds they are sorted into frequency order, with the frequency as the first entry, irrespective of where it
first was located in the downloaded list.

Lists that you can easily apply pass frequencies to, apply filters to, and transfer any frequency to the radio, or
scan any of the lists, whether they are the original, sorted or even filtered.

Also the added ability to have unlimited 'memories' all stored on the P.C. so instantly available, and which can
be backed up or shared, quickly and simply.

All those things, and more are available using an easy interface, mouse controlled, and I must stress again, do
that within seconds of first finding the list of frequencies you want.

Believe me I know that part of the program alone may sound impossible, and it is only one part of what it can do, and I stress I just want people to try it.

You can read the program overview, 'Q' Function and 'Q-DB' functions .pdf files at the Site, and if you want
download the trial and see for yourself.

http://pat3380.wix.com/ardv1

Cheers

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: AR-DV1 control - Almost instant frequency acquisition

Postby Metradio » 22 Aug 2016, 10:11

I am one of the beta testers for Jeff's program eSPYonARD - he writes it, we try and break it :D
This program exceeds the boundaries of all other scanning programs, the Q-DB (Quick Data Base) is a real breakthrough with the ability to scan almost any text file that contains frequencies, then be able to filter the file and scan the results on the AR-DV1. If there any unwanted frequencies in the scan list they can be PASSED with just on button push and reset just as quickly

This might sound like a load of old flannel but it works well.. When Jeff first mentioned it I thought OK but I bet there are loads of limitations - more than one frequency in a line, frequency at other end of line, mixture of upper and lower case during search, etc. But no Q-DB has been adapted and has overcome the perceived limitations in an automated process..

When eSPYonARD was first written it was as a control program that was missing to run the AOR AR-DV1 Digital Receiver, since then it has evolved into a Swiss Army Knife of a program, controlling, searching, scanning, recording, logging, etc, etc.

With the imminent addition on the AR-DV1 of DMO TETRA, eSPYonARD is already prepared and ready to go with the new mode.. :thumbup:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

'Q' and 'Q-DB' for other radios

Postby marlbrook » 24 Aug 2016, 19:20

The new project I am considering would be to create a program for ANY suitable receiver that would give it unlimited Memories, and the ability to import, transfer, scan, and filter virtually any frequency lists for almost immediate use.

It does strongly revolve around the new 'Q' and 'Q-DB' functions I have developed, however.

Before even seriously considering embarking on such a new project I want and need feedback.

If you have not done so already, go to the web-site and read about 'Q' and 'Q-DB'.

You will need to have some idea of the concept of what these functions can do. Functions hitherto that would have been considered all but impossible.

ardv1

Read the 'Q' and 'Q-DB' pdf documents. You NEED to do this if you want to contribute to this thread.

NOTE these functions may sound impossible, but they are already working in eSPYonARD, as other posts on the Radio Reference Forum can verify.

THIS IS NOT A PLOY TO GET ANYONE TO USE OR BUY eSPYonARD, and is not AR-DV1 related. eSPYonARD and the AR-DV1 are not involved, the abilities that 'Q' brings to them, ARE.

So here is my idea.

1. A program that does not control the receiver totally, you use the receiver manually as usual. No frequency display etc, no changing functions or anything like that.

2. The program would however add the functions I set out above. Unlimited memories, and the incredibly powerful frequency acquisition and manipulation that 'Q' brings to the AR-DV1.

------------

I want to know how many people are interested in this concept for their radio?

It could take months to bring to fruition, and I am not prepared to do all that work unless there is sufficient interest shown.

I am not promising to do it either.

I need to know which radios it could be adapted for?

There are only two requirements:-

1. The radio must be capable of being used under serial control. Frequencies, modes and scanning have to be possible.

2. The radio MUST be designed so serial control can be turned ON or OFF by an external command.

This is essential, as almost all radios deny normal button / knob access etc, whilst connected to a P.C.

If your scanner/receiver meets those requirements please tell me here.

Tell me if any scanners meet those criteria and I will look at them.

If you are really interested in the power of 'Q' being available for your radio, tell me here please.

Just as the 'Q' functions make the AR-DV1 unique, that could apply to other radios too, but ONLY if I get sufficient interest.

I cannot buy all the radios that could benefit, so I will also need to know of anyone who is prepared to collaborate with me and BETA test software as well.

This is a MAJOR project. Lots of scanner enthusiasts would benefit eventually.

The only receiver that will lose out is the AR-DV1. It will still have the abilities 'Q' brings, but would not have those functions exclusively.

Last few words. I have been working on eSPYonARD for the AR-DV1 solidly since last November.

It will require a LOT of interest being shown, and active offers of support and testing, for me to even think about setting aside more months of my life. Sorry if that is too blunt, but it is the simple truth, like it or not.

scan125
Regular
Regular

Postby scan125 » 25 Aug 2016, 11:07

I would suggest that you are possibly going too far in trying to support numerous different receivers and asking for issues that you could do without.

For starters your ONLY TWO requirements are not supported by many units. Certainly the xx125yy series of Uniden scanners does not support serial control being turned on or off. Similarly for the Alinco DX-SR8 comms receivers. In addition you will have to cater for all the different hardware and USB/serial coms settings and command formats etc.

You are far better off excluding direct access and programming of any given receiver.

Now most people who have kit that they computer control or load data to already have a Control Program. Most of these control programs support their own data file formats and/or simple CSV file formats.

So I suggest if you want to undertake this project you look at a more Univeral Solution.

Use your "Q" technology to create:

1) Specific Manufacture Format Files (Uniden, Butel, FreeScan, ProScan, etc etc)

2) Generic CSV files

Doing so will remove all the burden, research and programming required to support all the scanner HARDWARE people may ask you to support. Instead if someone wants say a Butel ARCnnn file support then all they have to do is send you a sample file or you can research the specific file format yourself.

Final point.

You may find that people are unwilling to pay for your "Q" program when they have already shelled out money on an existing control program or got one for free which already supports common file formats.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 25 Aug 2016, 12:11

I am not envisaging a Universal program, although it might well be possible to make it available for more that one receiver from an individual manufacturer, and I do realise that many receivers may not have the ability to turn Serial Comms on and off by a command. There are some that do, however.

From emails I have received from other sources it looks as if the AOR AR8600 is one receiver that is suitable. I am looking into other ICOM suggestions.

The point about the 'Q' functions is their simple, but very powerful versatility. I know of no P.C. interface that for one allow you to import frequency lists for almost instant use in seconds, without modification, and would boost Memory channel size and control, so simply.

The program would not give full CAT control for suitable receivers. As such there would be far less programming involved, and would be relatively inexpensive. Even for people with CAT programs already, it should provide several very useful frequency control functions they do not have now.

I am continuing to picture the interface in my mind.

At the moment I see it as just a small window on your P.C., tailored for individual receivers.

You control the scanner manually, or just use the new program as an addition to your current CAT one, as and when you require the 'Q' functions. I know that would mean switching programs.

1. If you find an interesting frequency you click a button.

The program automatically switches serial comms on, and adds the frequency and mode to a 'Q' list, on your screen, then releases the receiver for normal use.

When you double click on any frequency in the list it appears, with its mode, on the radio.

If you have enough frequencies, you can SCAN them too, via the program.

Very useful for any frequency, but especially for DX-ers surfing for side-band signals, for example.

2. Import almost any frequency list you find, from the WEB or elsewhere, into a 'Q-DB' list. Same as above, instantly selected on the radio, or scanned.

3. Add a filter, or sort the list.

4. Create you own lists in Notepad, very quickly and easily, adding as much descriptive information that you want. As long as each line contains a frequency anywhere, the program finds and deals with it.

5. In effect, memories only limited in number by the size of your P.C.'s storage, and you can expect to have thousands of them is you wish, all selectable from a menu, and in sub-folders you create, so finding them should be easy too.

Of course there are hurdles, not the least of which is convincing anyone that such functions were not impossible, lol, despite the fact they are already working and 'out there' for the AR-DV1.

In many ways people often do not actually need full CAT control up on their screen all the time. Nice of course, but frequency acquisition and management has to be high on the list of computer assisted requirements, and the proven 'Q' functions do that with style.

I suppose another way of looking at it is if your current CAT program offered an upgrade adding the 'Q' functions described above, would you welcome it, or not bother?

Anyway, after 9 months of work on the AR-DV1 program, if people are not interested, that is OK by me. I have an AR8600 and may slowly write the new program just for my own use, and to keep 'in the zone'. That is how eSPYonARD started.

Cheers

mickydt
Call Sign: 26tm441

Postby mickydt » 26 Aug 2016, 19:08

i purchased the aor dv1 and then came across this software. the trial seemed okay but once i purchased and entered the licence for the full version the program ran in to problems.

one when scanning the program does not keep up with what is displayed on the aor dv1

two it is next to impossible to get the scanning to stop, on the aor you press scan to stop but on the software even doing this the program keeps looping. i have tried pressing vfo z and so on but the scan will keeping on going.

three the program becomes sluggish like entering some kind of lag.

four when changing skins the program took quite a while before appearing back on screen

five couldn't get q-menu to close once open.

i first tried the program on a windows 8 desktop and thought it may be the machine, i then today ran it on another computer with windows 7 and got exactly the same results of above.

i feel the software is nearly there which would be good but like the aor dv1 which is still in update modes this software also needs some work, sorry to put the dampers on things.

mike

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 26 Aug 2016, 20:47

Mike,

Please email me about any problems. There is an Icon on the Web-Site.

I am surprised you did not contact me.

However, just to answer your points.

Regarding eSPYonARD

1. The instructions and video do state that the displayed scan speed is close but not in real time. It could not be because of the limitations of serial comms. The program has to send, check, ask for and receive an immense amount of information to keep the program's screen updated. In fact it is all but impossible to read the information that whizzes past on the AR-DV1's display in a scan, far too fast to make any judgements. HOWEVER, when the squelch opens the program immediately shows the details of the frequency, mode and other parameters for the correct frequency.

2. Are you talking about the normal scan, or the 'Q-DB' scan, please contact me to discuss this? If it is the latter clicking the scan button again stops the scan, as does double clicking on any displayed frequency, and several other buttons. If you mean the normal program scan, then clicking any VFO, or other function will stop it. Of course, as with everything else, clicking another button means instructions have to be sent to the Radio, and a correct reply sought before the new operation can take place, so results may take a fraction of a second.

As you are no doubt aware, serial comms is like sending a message down a line of people, all of whom speak a different language and have to translate it before passing it on. Then the radio, as the last in the chain, has to interpret the instruction, and act upon it. In addition the radio then sends another message back up the 'translation' chain confirming the original message, which the program checks and sometimes finds is wrong so sends out the original instruction again.

It is a bit like passing a message down such a line, asking the last person to switch on a light. If you are actually standing next to the switch and decide to do it the result is almost instant. If you have to rely on a chain of people to pass the message on to the next, it takes time, even not taking into account the language translation.

Given that it still amazes me you can click a button on the program and the radio usually appears to respond immediately. Where the command demands numerous instructions, as they often do, then a tiny delay is not a reflection of the program's coding, but simply restrictions imposed by the Laws of Physics.

3. Regarding the sluggish' comment. I need more information via emails please, to find out exactly where you find this happening.

4. Changing skins requires a LOT of coding. Yes it takes a few seconds for a skin to change, but hardly surprising when anyone considers all that is involved, and all the different forms the program must alter. The skins are provided for people's personal taste. Under normal circumstances they step through and find the skin they prefer. That does take a short time, but once the preferred skin is chosen, the program uses that one from then on, so there is no delay because you have chosen a different skin from then on.

5. You click the 'HIDE' button, that immediately closes the 'Q' menus.

----------------------

I am uploading an update to the program which enhances 'Q-DB' within a few days. Mainly it allows selection from sub-folders which will make the storing of many frequency lists more comfortable to manage, as almost certainly people will be using a lot of them. With 'Q' offering virtually unlimited Memories to the AR-DV1, the easier it is to sort and find them the better.

Of course the project I am talking about is not eSPYonARD, but solely related to the 'Q' functions. No other program has achieved anything like them. If anyone thinks that is wrong, please explain and let me know.

mickydt
Call Sign: 26tm441

Postby mickydt » 27 Aug 2016, 21:55

many thnks for the reply, when i enter a normal scan and then want to stop the scan it just keeps looping and won't stop. pressing vfo it enters it but then goes back to scan mode.

i would dearly like to get this up and running and hope that you can figure out what is going on.

i will have another bash with it over the next coming days, bit off colour.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Re: SCAN REPEATING and GENERAL INFORMATION

Postby marlbrook » 28 Aug 2016, 07:36

I personally feel that it is inappropriate to go into too much details of possible 'Gremlin fixes' in Forum posts.

Not that I mind anybody finding a Gremlin, in fact I welcome it, or that I hide the fact there may be some, or one had been discovered.

eSPYonARD is so comprehensive, does so much, and consequently has so much coding that it is inevitable there will be some. Naturally testing usually reveals obvious one quickly, but with so many possible combinations of functions the user has to choose from, then it is impossible to test all of them every time I add something new, and as others will attest, that is a very regular thing.

That is why I ALWAYS ask that should anyone find anything they email me, and we find the fix that way.

Readers of the thread are unlikely to want to follow that sort of thing, and it clogs up the system.

I will break that rule again just once here, as you posted the problem instead of contacting me direct.

One of the problems that always aggravated me was the speed of the SCAN display. As I mentioned it is impossible to keep the program's screen updated with all the different elements that flash by on the AR-DV1, Serial Communications are just not fast enough.

I am not going into much detail here, but almost every item you see on the program's display has to be updated. The Frequency, Bank number, Channel number, Title, Squelch type and many others. The way the AR-DV1's serial commands work means that each of those parameters have to be asked for, and the radio's replies checked, individually before the display is correct.

This is relevant to your remark above.

A major problem is because the speed of display I could achieve was directly related to the hardware the program ran on, I initially had to 'slow' the display speed down to what I believed would work with the slowest P.C. hardware.

The scan speed was still acceptable, and the important fact was as soon as the squelch opened the correct details were shown.

So the speed of a SCAN (or SEARCH) display the program showed LOOKED slow'ish. It made no difference to the actual SCAN or SEARCH speeds that went on. The radio dealt with them at its normal speed, but nevertheless, it was something I was not happy about.

With the current version (the one you have) I came up with a brilliant bit of lateral thinking (he said modestly), and created coding that automatically found the highest speed a user's P.C. was capable of in a SEARCH or SCAN, the first time those functions ran.

Basically it started very fast, but if the AR-DV1 replied with any errors, the speed was slowly reduced until the ideal speed was discovered.

All in all a pretty amazing solution to what seemed an impossible dilemma, how to cater for different hardware, a Programmer's nightmare.

NOW to the crux. I 'think' one line in that code may have caused the SCAN repeating problem you are experiencing. It clearly does not do it all the time. I never saw it happen, and nobody else has mentioned it, but I went through everything I could think of when I read your post, and found it.

So I have hopefully removed that Gremlin, and the new program update will be posted today.

Please try it and see if the problem is fixed. I cannot guarantee that at the moment. If it is not then you and I will need to exchange information if I can hope to find the source.

HOWEVER, please email me as I requested if we need to look further. If it is fixed then a short post from you here would be nice.

Well folks, it is 8 am on Sunday morning, and I have already read Mike's post, hopefully fixed the problem, incorporated the fix in the new version (and the version in waiting that has the long awaited TETRA button), and am drafting this reply.

To my mind, that is pretty good service by anyone's standards, and not untypical. Often you get 7/7 support, at least 12 hours a day, and on the odd occasion a 'fix' is required a fast update.

One final point, and as a Licensed Radio Amateur, I too took the strict oath 'never to read the manual', lol. Sadly, and with reverence I must tell anyone using eSPYonARD you just have to read the 'bl**dy' thing.

Like the program, I made it as easy as possible, but the program does so much, you will miss lots of 'goodies' if you do not look at the Manual.

The AR-DV1 is a wonderful receiver. Currently 'unique' because of all the Digital Modes. That will probably not stay like that, as ICOM and others follow that particular lead.

However eSPYonARD, and especially the 'Q' functions do make the AR-DV1 unique with regard to a degree of frequency acquisition and management that has never been achieved before, and would have been considered impossible up until a few weeks ago. If you have the slightest doubt about that 'massive claim', all you need do is go to the Web-Site and look at the short example of 'Q-DB' in its pdf.

http://pat3380.wix.com/ardv1

It is those 'Q' functions I started the thread about, here and on the Radio Reference Forum, in the hope I can bring it to some other receivers, for everyone's benefit. If you do not know what I am talking about then PLEASE read the first post here.

I am going to need a lot more feedback before I decide to embark on the new 'Q' project.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 29 Aug 2016, 08:55

One point I forgot to mention, and on reflection think I should have done, regards the program automatically adjusting the SCAN and SEARCH display speed, is that it is not restricted to the overall performance of the P.C.'s hardware.

There will be occasions when the number of programs running in the background, or the number of USB devices attached, and other things, will also slow down serial communication speed between the P.C. and AR-DV1.

The program is fully interactive all the time, and if necessary adjusts the program to take those things into account. I even added a facility where by one click you can reset those speed adjustments, should anyone want to.

During one of those checks, the line I mentioned above kicked in, and before I amended it could have sometimes caused the program to jump back to SCAN. Hopefully not any more.

This is covered in the Manual, as were some of the other issues you originally raised.

One point that is mentioned in the Manual, and very relevant is the fact that AOR, no doubt to counter early criticism of its SCAN speeds, amended the Comms routine so the radio listens and reacts to commands much less often during Searches or Scans.

It achieved the desired result, but hampered getting the AR-DV1 to send out all the masses of information needed to keep the program's screen updated at those times.

Now, most people, most of the time, still see a pretty fast change of information on the program's display during a SCAN, and considering all that is required, that is quite a feat of programming.

Radiotronics
Regular
Regular

Postby Radiotronics » 30 Aug 2016, 08:07

When the AOR AR-DV1 first arrived, we tested it extensively. We generally only sell business radios, and sell scanners for dispatch operators and CCTV control rooms to monitor local business radio pub watch traffic. But with the advent of DMR and dPMR radios coming on to the market, the old Uniden Bearcat (and the like) scanners cannot decode digital signals.

When testing the AOR AR-DV1 we found it to be one of the best scanners we have ever seen. It digitally decodes almost any known unencrypted digital transmission. Obviously, it can't decrypt encrypted transmissions like TETRA, virtually nothing can. So with this being able to decode almost anything, it's ideal for the council and police CCTV controllers and is installed in around 4 CCTV control rooms in the UK already.

The best thing we found about this scanners was it's ability to find the digital signal type within around a tenth of a second, so you don't loose out on any audio when it stops on a transmission. The other good thing was CTCSS/DCS search, where it can tell you the CTCSS or DCS code/tone the radios are programmed to; this is useful for re-programming the scanner to only stop on this channel when the CTCSS or DCS is detected. Very smart for blocking out or ignoring carrier noise.

However, we found a couple of annoyances. The first was that the scanner lags when scanning between analogue and DMR memories, for around 1/2 a second. The other was that, when using the software to update channels/memories, it sometimes wipes (or resets) other settings, like scan pause time. It would be interesting if there is a software update planned that will solve this?...

Finally, another annoying thing is that the software can take up to 10 minutes to upload all the settings you've updated in the software. This is not so bad though as you can choose only to upload one memory bank to speed things up. And of course, once set, our clients don't need to change them very often. But I can imaging this is quite annoying for scanning enthusiasts who would like instant search to memory etc.

But overall, a very very good scanner and there's nothing else like it on the market right now! Hopefully, as competition increases, the price will come down.

marlbrook
Regular
Regular

Postby marlbrook » 30 Aug 2016, 11:32

Hi,

Your remarks about the AR-DV1 are interesting, and are close to my own evaluation.

Please email me about the above if you have any ideas or problems re eSPYonARD.

I take it you are one of my customers and are using the PRO version?

On the first point, I am not sure what you mean, regarding wiping settings, but assume you are talking about ePSYonARD.

If so, re the 10 minutes to upload ALL memories, nobody else will really hope to better this, in that almost all of the settings have to sent as individual commands. That is the way the AR-DV1 works and what it demands. One thousand Memories demand several thousand commands sent, received, replied about, and checked for verification. There is no way around that, just a fact of life where the AR-DV1 is concerned. In eSPYonARD you can actually see this happening.

Of course this thread is actually about the 'Q' functions, which do not upload to the receiver's memories at all, and allows you to acquire from almost any source plus store unlimited frequencies (with) modes and unrestricted descriptions. All these are stored on the User's P.C., so as close to instantly available as Physics will allow.

The purpose of starting this discussion was to see if there were people interested in me providing 'Q' functions for other receivers, not the AR-DV1, however that does mean they will need to look at the pdf on the Web-Site to realise what 'Q' is all about, and all that it offers.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » 30 Aug 2016, 12:31

Radiotronics wrote:When the AOR AR-DV1 first arrived, we tested it extensively.....
....When testing the AOR AR-DV1 we found it to be one of the best scanners we have ever seen. It digitally decodes almost any known unencrypted digital transmission. Obviously, it can't decrypt encrypted transmissions like TETRA, virtually nothing can. So with this being able to decode almost anything, it's ideal for the council and police CCTV controllers and is installed in around 4 CCTV control rooms in the UK already....

Nice to see you put the AR-DV1 through it's paces. As a matter of interest the addition of DMO TETRA is being worked on by AOR as a firmware upgrade.
I can see the use by CCTV control rooms to monitor other services..

The strengths and weaknesses of the AR-DV1 are well known, most of the annoyances can be got around by putting the AR-DV1 under PC control, if you have not already tried it, eSPYonARD - a control and database program written for the AR-DV1 is well worth a look at:

http://pat3380.wixsite.com/ardv1

I will admit to having an interest in the program as I am part of the Beta testing group so I get to run the program more than most users..
Give it a try you will be impressed..

...The other good thing was CTCSS/DCS search, where it can tell you the CTCSS or DCS code/tone the radios are programmed to; this is useful for re-programming the scanner to only stop on this channel when the CTCSS or DCS is detected. Very smart for blocking out or ignoring carrier noise...

I am pleased you mentioned the CTCSS/DCS search function, being in a high RF level location I make full use of it.. Interestingly you are the first person I have seen mention it in any forum..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.

Radiotronics
Regular
Regular

Postby Radiotronics » 30 Aug 2016, 12:42

marlbrook wrote:I take it you are one of my customers and are using the PRO version?

Yes, we purchased it to manage our client's scanners. Very useful as we can, like we do with two way radiods, keep almost a clone of how the radio should be prorammed and restore it if the operator overwrites a critical memory when using it. Happens a lot.

marlbrook wrote:On the first point, I am not sure what you mean, regarding wiping settings, but assume you are talking about ePSYonARD.

There are certina seiings that appear to reset when we do an upload. I'll have a play and send you more specific information on that.

marlbrook wrote:If so, re the 10 minutes to upload ALL memories, nobody else will really hope to better this, in that almost all of the settings have to sent as individual commands ... One thousand Memories demand several thousand commands sent, received, replied about, and checked for verification...

Oh yeah, I understand why it takes so long. It's fine for us as a business as we just connect up, set it off and grab a quick coffee. I just thought it might be a little long for a power user.

marlbrook wrote:Of course this thread is actually about the 'Q' functions, which do not upload to the receiver's memories at all, and allows you to acquire from almost any source plus store unlimited frequencies (with) modes and unrestricted descriptions. All these are stored on the User's P.C., so as close to instantly available as Physics will allow. The purpose of starting this discussion was to see if there were people interested in me providing 'Q' functions for other receivers, not the AR-DV1, however that does mean they will need to look at the pdf on the Web-Site to realise what 'Q' is all about, and all that it offers.

Yes, I thought that was an interesting feature.

Radiotronics
Regular
Regular

Postby Radiotronics » 30 Aug 2016, 12:49

Metradio wrote:
Radiotronics wrote:When the AOR AR-DV1 first arrived, we tested it extensively.....
....When testing the AOR AR-DV1 we found it to be one of the best scanners we have ever seen. It digitally decodes almost any known unencrypted digital transmission. Obviously, it can't decrypt encrypted transmissions like TETRA, virtually nothing can. So with this being able to decode almost anything, it's ideal for the council and police CCTV controllers and is installed in around 4 CCTV control rooms in the UK already....

Metradio wrote:Nice to see you put the AR-DV1 through it's paces. As a matter of interest the addition of DMO TETRA is being worked on by AOR as a firmware upgrade.

Now that would be quite nice. I suppose it won't be able to to "decrypt" the AES256 transmissions as it doesn't have the public decryption key in order to do so. But should be able to decode the non encrypted TETRA transmissions. Will be interesting to grab the firmware update when it's available.

Metradio wrote:I can see the use by CCTV control rooms to monitor other services..
The strengths and weaknesses of the AR-DV1 are well known, most of the annoyances can be got around by putting the AR-DV1 under PC control, if you have not already tried it, eSPYonARD - a control and database program written for the AR-DV1 is well worth a look at:

http://pat3380.wixsite.com/ardv1

I will admit to having an interest in the program as I am part of the Beta testing group so I get to run the program more than most users..
Give it a try you will be impressed..

We've already pucrchased the PC software ARDV1, is eSPYonARD something else?

Metradio wrote:...The other good thing was CTCSS/DCS search, where it can tell you the CTCSS or DCS code/tone the radios are programmed to; this is useful for re-programming the scanner to only stop on this channel when the CTCSS or DCS is detected. Very smart for blocking out or ignoring carrier noise...

I, personally, think this is the best feature (aside from digital decode) that this scanner has. Prior to this, our clients would be using something like a Uniden Bearcat Base scanner and they would get a lot of carrier noise which sometimes stopped the scan. With the tone search feature, al they have to do is wait for the tone to show on the screen, then update the channel memory to only stop on that CTCSS/DCS tone with just a couple of busson presses. Very very good.

Return to “Computer Control and Software”