pi2 + win10 IOT + dsdplus

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

pi2 + win10 IOT + dsdplus

Post by bigbloke »

hi all,

hope you all had a great xmas.

Given that the AoR DV-1 is ,IMHO, such a major dissapointment, I'm thinking of getting another pi2 to see if it will run win 10 iot
and autoboot dsdplus as a stand alone poor man's ARD300.

just wondered if anyone has tried this already ? any experiences ?

regards

BB
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: pi2 + win10 IOT + dsdplus

Post by Admiral »

I had a similar idea, I was thinking of sticking a Pi inside my old 2042, I've been trying to get WinCE to run DSD, but xmas slammed the brakes on the project.

I'm very interested to hear how you get on with your idea.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

well good news and bad.

it seems from research that Qemu - the adaptation app that allows x86 code to run on ARM cpus is not compatible with
Win 10 IOT and will only run single window "headless / service" apps. apparently not even DOS window single screen apps

Soooo.....im going to do a trial build using my spare pi-1 with raspian and the source code of dsd 1.7 (not plus) if that
lacks cpu grunt, I will take that up to a pi2 and try it.

Regards

BB
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Well I couldn't get DSD working on CE in a VM, and I still can't get my dirty mits on a Pi Zero, I have a couple of early model A's, but they're a bit chunky.

I too am now going down the Linux route, problem is I can only really compile and disassemble in Python, I'm a bit old now for 'Perl for dummies'.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There are some nice 7" HDMI touch screens available for around the £30 mark from China these days, for anyone considering a project like this.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Cheers kr0ne, my project involves the Pi being switched in or out for digital/analogue modes manually, at this early stage it will be self contained with no visual output, just the in/out switching will feed the DSD output back into the sets audio stage via a relay or transistor switch.

Boxes on top will defeat my particular aim, if I wanted a box on top then there's plenty of win7 devices that would suffice to do the decoding and a visual display.

Not too sure what BB has in mind, but I am trying to emulate a DV1 for about fifty quid.
mountainpenguin
Regular
Regular

Post by mountainpenguin »

not suprised
windows IoT is not windows.
DSD+ isn't a dos app (they are 16 or 32 bit protected mode) its a win32 app that doesn't have a GUI.
dsd isn't too bad these days just built it on mi pi2

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential git make cmake libsndfile1-dev
git clone https://github.com/szechyjs/dsd.git
cd dsd
bash travis_deps.sh
export CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$HOME/mbelib:$HOME/itpp
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
you will now have a working dsd executable on your pi.
The next problem will be getting a working audio device
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There are Chinese versions of the HiFiBerry DAC board around for about £15: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIFI-DAC-HIFI ... Swv0tVXgrY

24bit 192kHz may seem like overkill but the advantage of using a DAC attached to the P5 connector is that it is not competing for bandwidth on the USB bus.

Another approach is to use the HDMI connector with an outboard DAC but forget about the 3.5mm jack plug out for anything other than beeps and clicks!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I was planning on using HDMI for audio, I will be routing it back into the 2042s audio amp so the HDMI output will probably just need a simple D/A converter which can be knocked up from baccy tin parts.