Considering buying SDR unit off eBay...

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
StevenW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IBU

Considering buying SDR unit off eBay...

Post by StevenW »

So I already have a cheapie DVB-t/DAB/FM USB device that I have played with, used on my mac... I'm thinking about paying a bit more to have a play about with a bit of kit described as:

"100KHz-1.7GHz full band UV HF RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver/ R820T + 8232"

It's a USB block with antennae & cables, just search eBay for SDR, you'll find them around the £38 to £42 mark.

I just wondered if they were any good & if anyone has used them?

Thanks guys!
rogerbeep
Call Sign: 20TM896

Re: Considering buying SDR unit off eBay...

Post by rogerbeep »

I think the receiver combo you mention is basically the same as you have today with an upconverter included in the box.

An alternative is to buy an separate upconverter, connect it to the existing RTL-SDR and listen to HF radio.
I use such a setup plus a home made antenna system to listen to HF radio with good results.
This combination gives the same range that the eBay variant.

On the other hand. Two RTL-SDR dongles in your computer means two receivers at the same time! :)

Also worth mentioning that a new variant of the RTL with an R820T2 receiver has been released, slight (but welcomed) improvements for the HF bands. http://www.rtl-sdr.com/nooelec-now-sell ... d=noscript

That makes another alternative:
Buy the new improved version of the RTL-SDR receiver and an additional upconverter for HF listening.
Keep the old RTL-SDR for scanning higher frequencies. Maybe set it up as a plane tracker, weather satellite receiver or other fun stuff.
TRX:
Icom 7300 / 706 mk II / 735 - Alinco DR-135DX - President Grant mk II / Jackson mk I - CRT SS9900 / One - Anytone AT300M
Icom ID 51E - QYT KT-8900 - Icom F4SR / 28H - Baofeng UV-5R / 888S

Uniden UBC 780 XLT - Icom R5 / PCR-100 - RTL2832U/R820T + Ham It Up v1.2 - NESDR SMArt
StevenW
Regular
Regular

Post by StevenW »

Hey, great reply! Actually I couldn't resist the commit to buy button and it turned up a couple of days ago, I'll be having a twiddle this weekend and post the results!
rogerbeep
Call Sign: 20TM896

Post by rogerbeep »

OK, then you soon can double the fun by running both dongles at the same time on your computer! :)
Here you can read how to do it. http://www.hamradioscience.com/using-mu ... s-for-sdr/
(Scroll down to: "Install the Zadig drivers for each dongle")

By the way, for the new purchased dongle (for HF) I really recommend to use the HDSDR software at this one as this is much more suitable for HF use. It is completely different from SDR#, but I will promise a better experience after a while on HF. I summed up my impressions for the difference between the two softwares yesterday - therefore I quote myself, so you can read it too: ;)
Again, if you are mainly going for HF, forget about the SDR# (which is the ultimate software when using the USB SDR as a FM scanner).
I will strongly recommend using the HDSDR software which has got much better HF-interface and functions.
This software is developed for the "real stuff" (SDR transceivers), but they have included support for the RTL-dongles as well - which is nice!
All in all HDSDR is a real improvement compared to SDR# because HF listening need more active adjustments than simple scanning.

Easy access for adjusting the signal bandwith and set notch filter(s) where needed. Also you have a separate part of the screen which show the received signal, here you can adjust bandwidth and set filter(s).
All relevant "buttons and switches" are found more or less in the same place, not split in different menus on the side of the screen.
TRX:
Icom 7300 / 706 mk II / 735 - Alinco DR-135DX - President Grant mk II / Jackson mk I - CRT SS9900 / One - Anytone AT300M
Icom ID 51E - QYT KT-8900 - Icom F4SR / 28H - Baofeng UV-5R / 888S

Uniden UBC 780 XLT - Icom R5 / PCR-100 - RTL2832U/R820T + Ham It Up v1.2 - NESDR SMArt
StevenW
Regular
Regular

Post by StevenW »

Hey thanks again, I'm assuming the place to go is hdsdr dot de (not sure if we are allowed linking in here)?

I'm on there now, after doing all the chores today I'll be looking at this, cheers!
GBHgpJON

Post by GBHgpJON »

Saw this thread, I also splashed out on one, being a bit of a newb do I have to enable anything on HDSDR to use the HF antenna connection?
26TM095
26SWB014
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

There are two good Facebook groups if you search..."sdr"...
and a great sdr-rtl software page...
i have just bought the same box....should be here at the weekend...
i have a funcube pro ....so looking forward to comparing the two...

the software for the Dll.s has just been tweaked,so try that
with hdsdr and the great "sdr console ver2"
or sdr #.....

hope you like it...

35/40 £ for a great world of s.w.l. And vhf/uhf
decoding has got to be bargain of the decade...
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX