AOR sucks!

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
Dante
Regular
Regular

AOR sucks!

Post by Dante »

has anyone tried the software bundled with the AOR AR- 8200? i bought my scanner ages ago installed the software & instantly turned off scanners, now I've re-discoverd scanners at a time when theres nothing left to listen to. hopefully theres some better software for the 8200 available for free now because I've just bought a new one off ebay & i should receive it tomorrow, probably should've bought a diff radio but i'm familiar with AOR & cant be botherd to learn a whole new menu system, pleeeeeze tell me things have moved on! any advice apreciated :?:
ScanBee
Regular
Regular

RE: AOR sucks!

Post by ScanBee »

Sadly, no. I've this scanner too, it's a bit primitive to be frank and is not better than my UBC180XLT Bearcat, in fact my little Bearcat is out scanning it ~ obviously the AR8200 has advantages and to access those advantages I've looked to software for help as this system is really alien to me.

I tried the free software and paid ?80 or so for the professional version. Both are a total mess IMO. I eventually got a handle on the pro version, but I really cannot recommend it for this scanner.

Now I mean this in respect to the Uniden software where I can have a profile or profiles and load them with systems, which clearly show me where everything is in relation to the scanner number. Both the free and pro software only load individual memory banks, [for the AR8200 ] so one has to remember what number A:B:C and k:l:m: etc are. One does have a 'Bank Manager' but it's too easy to put the wrong banks associated with A:B: etc and too easy to overwrite a Bank and one does not have anyway to import 'ALL' ~ one memory bank at a time ~~

I could also be using this software incorrectly ~~ and if one has never used the Uniden type of layouts, they won't know any different.

I agree that AOR software is bad and paying for it is even worse, well actually paying for it is a little better, but not so much that's I'd recommend it.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RE: AOR sucks!

Post by crusty »

ScanBee wrote:... snip ...to be frank and is not better than my UBC180XLT Bearcat, in fact my little Bearcat is out scanning it
Then I'd suggest you are stuggling with using the AR8200, I can understand you liking the 180XLT for its simplicity but the 8200 is by far the better radio.

Dante: here's a couple of different software packages for you to take a look at (or try)
Spectrum Commander IX http://www.scanstar.com/products/commander.htm
Ar86ctrl http://home.snafu.de/kbo/

Dont give in :)
Crusty.
Turbo

Re: AOR sucks!

Post by Turbo »

I use ARC-8200/ScanCat Gold software on my AOR-8200MK3 and never had a problem.

Regards Lino.

AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-RX7/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500
ICOM-R9500
JRC NRD-545
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500
burt

Post by burt »

[quote="Turbo"]I use ARC-8200/ScanCat Gold software on my AOR-8200MK3 and never had a problem.

Thats not a free one is it ?

And on the aor topic i have just bought a ubc3500xlt and i can see my aor8200 not being used from now on .i think the uniden scanner is a great piece of kit and close call is the dogs danngly bits

from burt
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

No its not free.

Regards Lino.