Sepura srh3500

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
pstephens1
Regular
Regular

Sepura srh3500

Post by pstephens1 »

Hi we have just brought 4 radios for work and i was wondering if i there is a way i can reprogramme it so i can use it like a mobile phone. If anyone can help it would be great many thanks paul
As the great Homer Simpson once said. 'Trying is the first step to failure'.
carlos123
Regular
Regular

Re: Sepura srh3500

Post by carlos123 »

The only way you can use the telephone mode is when your connected/registered user on the o2 Airwave network.and for that your company needs to apply to OFCOM for a licence.and its not cheap.
However let me know if your thinking of selling them.
pstephens1
Regular
Regular

Post by pstephens1 »

Im just wondering if it was possible as they have a sim card slot at the back and i was wondering if it was possible to unlock them as you would with a normal mobile phone. im sorry to say that they are not for sale as we use them to stop the little scally wags from listening to us on scanners, we got fed up of catching them and finding they have scanners on them and we could do nothing to them about it. If anyone knows of a way we can do this with our own sim cards any help would be great many thanks in paul
As the great Homer Simpson once said. 'Trying is the first step to failure'.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

pstephens1 wrote: If anyone knows of a way we can do this with our own sim cards any help would be great many thanks in paul
It's not possible. Mobile phones and tetra handsets are totally different.
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

What type of work do you do exactly ?

You see using a TETRA set COULD land you in trouble if you don't have the appropriate license from OfCom (Last time I heard they weren't even BOTHERING with individuals regarding licensing TETRA). Also on 1 Watt range, you're not going to get too far on them. It may be that DMR (Digital and no off the shelf scanner can listen in) is better suited as it has a greater range (5 Watt) and most of the gear can do analogue and digital, also it's a heck of a lot easier to license too.

I'm interested to ask why are they bothering carrying scanners and listening in too ?

As for the SIM card slot, SIM cards aren't limited to GSM, it's just one of it's uses. It's actually there to provide flexible but personalised setting. For example the German BoS use the SIM cards to carry their crypto keys for their network and I presume ISSI numbers so radio's can be pooled but still operated as personal issue with their own ID number. They are capable of making PHONE calls, but that's done over the network with the help of a PSTN interface which has absolutely nothing to do with a GSM or mobile phone at any point.

As for the Airwave network, well no-one is allowed access unless you've been security cleared for it (as sensitive comms are passed over it as well as the fact that the radio's are considered sensitive as they carry Crypto keys). It's reserved for first responder/safety of life comms only and even when you do have a good reason for even just one radio to interop with a first responder you have to go through a lengthy procedure with parliament and OfCom.

Now if someone wanted to re-open a Dolphin style network :D

Scott.
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

pstephens1 wrote:Im just wondering if it was possible as they have a sim card slot at the back and i was wondering if it was possible to unlock them as you would with a normal mobile phone. im sorry to say that they are not for sale as we use them to stop the little scally wags from listening to us on scanners, we got fed up of catching them and finding they have scanners on them and we could do nothing to them about it. If anyone knows of a way we can do this with our own sim cards any help would be great many thanks in paul
No,,end of
mikeeve1
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by mikeeve1 »

Hi All,
Sorry to bring up an old post, However i am desperate to borrow a SRH 3500 programming cable, Has anyone got one i could sit on your drive and use for 5 mins please?
Many thanks