MUSTANG CB1000

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
mrjones
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: Kermit

MUSTANG CB1000

Post by mrjones »

Hi everyone
I’m new in the forum so stay with me lol
I drive a loading shovel for a recycling company and my boss gave me and the other driver a walkie talkie each but they’re rubbish, so I brought a couple of my old CB’s out of retirement got em installed used my swr meter on both em, got good readings after a bit of tuning, both working brilliantly for months then all of a sudden one of em ain’t transmitting and more than about 50 yards and the needle goes straight to the bottom of the meter when I key the mic, I’ve done all the usual checks etc but it still isn’t transmitting very well at all and the other driver can’t hear me unless he’s in sight and near me.
Any help or a repair suggestion would be most appreciated
Cheers guys
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: MUSTANG CB1000

Post by The Collector »

I'm no expert on radio guts, but it sounds like the output transistor has possibly gone, especially if the meter goes backwards.
It's a cheap component in itself, but not so cheap if you have to send it off to get fixed and pay postage both ways. You'd be better off getting another cheapo local ebay radio then to be honest.

Could be caused by a short circuit on the co-ax (but the swr meter should have shown it), or just because the radio went into shock and it blew something after not being used for 30 years and then used a lot.

Just double-check all the switches on it in case something isn't clicked properly though, but I doubt it.

Someone with better knowledge than me (that'll be everyone then!) may give you better advice shortly. If the swr meter is also a power meter (or you have a cheap bulb-powered dummy load) that'll help matters to see if you've no ouput.
Buick Mackane

Re: MUSTANG CB1000

Post by Buick Mackane »

Yup sounds like your output transistor has died, Send blackspirit a message and he'll give you a quote to have it repaired, Failing that stick an ad on here for another radio, I'd give ebay a wide berth as the prices are a joke,
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?