Quality Control?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

Quality Control?

Post by astradyne »

Or lack of it...

I have a Maxlog M-8800 which has an amazing receive, is rock steady on receive and gets great reports on the TX audio. Recently, however, the receive kept dropping out for no evident reason. But if I wiggled the power lead the receive would come back in for a while before dropping out again. So...

Off with the cases for an inspection. Nothing jumped straight out at me as to what was causing the problem. In fact the problem stopped with the bottom case off! A most perplexing mystery. Picking up my plastic prodder I gently tapped and nudged my way around the PCB outer edge until, as a last port of call, I nudged the link wire to the antenna socket. Off went the receive. Nudged it again. On came the receive. The link wire wasn't even soldered to the back of the antenna socket! I'm guessing the wiggling of the power cable was just enough for it to make a brief connection.

Anyhow, Mr. Chinese Quality Control Inspector, you and your soldered need to be sacked with immediate effect. Thankfully it was a very minor and simple fix. Normal service has been resumed.

Here's a picture for entertainment purposes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Quality Control?

Post by ch25 »

Qc does not exist. I had many galaxy radios on my bench suffering poor soldering.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

It is hard to buy quality at any price these days. Not just radios, but paying extra in the hope of getting something better doesn't always work.

Dyson Vacuum cleaners are a fine example of overpriced, overrated Tat.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's all part of the wireless technology revolution. Maybe.

Good spot!
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 19:18 It's all part of the wireless technology revolution. Maybe.

Good spot!
It was a bit of a head scratcher to begin with Mr. C. All sorted now though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You've soldered it on. What a waste when there's always blu-tac! ;)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 22:20 You've soldered it on. What a waste when there's always blu-tac! ;)
Blu-Tac? Pah! That's a posh expensive fix. I was considering a proper CB breaker type repair, wedging in some tin foil. That's the way forward.

simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

astradyne wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 10:17 Or lack of it...

I have a Maxlog M-8800 which has an amazing receive, is rock steady on receive and gets great reports on the TX audio. Recently, however, the receive kept dropping out for no evident reason. But if I wiggled the power lead the receive would come back in for a while before dropping out again. So...

Off with the cases for an inspection. Nothing jumped straight out at me as to what was causing the problem. In fact the problem stopped with the bottom case off! A most perplexing mystery. Picking up my plastic prodder I gently tapped and nudged my way around the PCB outer edge until, as a last port of call, I nudged the link wire to the antenna socket. Off went the receive. Nudged it again. On came the receive. The link wire wasn't even soldered to the back of the antenna socket! I'm guessing the wiggling of the power cable was just enough for it to make a brief connection.

Anyhow, Mr. Chinese Quality Control Inspector, you and your soldered need to be sacked with immediate effect. Thankfully it was a very minor and simple fix. Normal service has been resumed.

Here's a picture for entertainment purposes.
Friend of mine contacted the factory and told them of the issues he’d found in 8800

He was asked for his address and they’d help him

Think was either 21-28 days later a package arrived with a soldering iron, solder sucker and a small roll of solder from the factory.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^ Some will say well done to the factory......thats a nice gesture.......but some people are NEVER happy and would probably just complain.....a free solder iron and sucker........no complaints if that was the service offered to me.........maybe a disabled buyer/someone thats never soldered might feel different,but sure they would arrange postage for them Simon ;) ^^
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

108EH002 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:50 ^^ Some will say well done to the factory......thats a nice gesture.......but some people are NEVER happy and would probably just complain.....a free solder iron and sucker........no complaints if that was the service offered to me.........maybe a disabled buyer/someone thats never soldered might feel different,but sure they would arrange postage for them Simon ;) ^^
And, of course, assuming the owner of the radio was electronically minded and competent at soldering.

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

astradyne wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:55
108EH002 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:50 ^^ Some will say well done to the factory......thats a nice gesture.......but some people are NEVER happy and would probably just complain.....a free solder iron and sucker........no complaints if that was the service offered to me.........maybe a disabled buyer/someone thats never soldered might feel different,but sure they would arrange postage for them Simon ;) ^^
And, of course, assuming the owner of the radio was electronically minded and competent at soldering.
And not many will open a new radio........I do.....like seeing inside.....not that I understand it mind ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Personally, I think they were being somewhat sarcastic in sending a "repair kit".
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 22:05 Personally, I think they were being somewhat sarcastic in sending a "repair kit".
With which you would invalidate any warranty.

NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Another reason why I prefer older radio's. They were better built.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I purchased a zetagi power reducer this week. Set it up to test if it was reasonably accurate both on its 1/4 &1/2 power switch position settings.

Well seems even zetagi have issues, with the switch in half power reduction it was reducing by 1/4 ,& in 1/4 power reducing position it was half lol.

Emailed the seller they said could return it but will work same as it is.

Made my own label ,crude as it is .