Storing radios,protecting from damp

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Storing radios,protecting from damp

Post by Mudslinger »

I keep radios on the house. The loft isn't damp but there is a huge temperature variation between freezing in winter to scorchio in the summer. That alone cannot be good for them.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Good point Simon , got a few boxes now so going to store the best under the bed and put the rest in boxes bags and put them under the insulation in the loft.
I'm told that's the best thing to do if I have to put them in loft as under the insulation is closer to the temp of bedrooms bellow with less variables extremes .
Who knows.

I need a bigger house . Or a cellar and attic .
Hamerman
Regular
Regular

Post by Hamerman »

I would never store radio equipment in the loft due to the extreme changes in temperature in the summer and winter. A cupboard in the house is the best place if you are not using the equipment.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Seems a few not advocating using a loft for storage due to wide temp ranges. Don't forget that a car/van/truck has wide temperature variations that radios operate in. Radios placed in vacuum seal bags and then in Insulted boxes (just packing / storage boxes with poly foam packing) will be fine in a dry loft, just remember to check on them from time to time.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

You also need to remember that you can sometimes get wildlife in lofts,mice etc,can just imagine that look of horror when that box that makes your "mint" Cobra 148 worth £500 (tongue in cheek) gets chomped on to look like a piece of Swiss cheese.

Dry cupboard or similar as others have said.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Aye, and gales could rip his roof off or lighting strikes it etc-etc, and I think a homeowner should know if they had wildlife in their 'in use' loft.

Back on track then the OP has stated he's struggling for storage space so sometimes have to work with what you've got - if you can make it work for you that is.

I use my loft for storage as space is at a premium and I have a fair bit of PC components as well as some radio gear packed away. I've just recently built a small PC for a family member from stuff I've had up there for a couple of years and all was as same as when I stored it. It's all in the preparation. Yes a large cupboard / spare room / basement is the ideal solution but not all have such available space. It works ok for me but like I say got to do prep work first.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I have some on shelving in the shack. The best are kept in a cupboard next to the shack on the landing. The temperature is pretty much stable in there and the same as the rest of the house. As of yet I've had no problems.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

All my radios are on shelves in my loftshed which takes up 1/3 of the loft. The thing is enclosed and insulated with foil-covered 2" thick insulating foam plasterboard lining, an oil-filled radiator and a few of those Poundland anti-damp boxes that draw in any moisture in the air.

The cardboard boxes however are in the "normal" part of the loft and some have been there for 10+ years. Luckily there's no sign of damp on any and I do have a humane mousetrap on the floor nearby just in case. Never had any issues as yet.

Knowing my luck, a passing tornado will suck them all up and spit them out all over town ;)