New house, new shack, new antenna?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New house, new shack, new antenna?

Post by 108EH002 »

^^ You forgot to mention the A-99 is in a lead safe ;) ^^ :lol:
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If I could get away with hoiking up a Siggy4, I may actually be able to converse with someone ;)
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Second hand Imax painted the same as your 99 Collector,and if anyone notices the big brother,you just put the old one up 8ft ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I sold an Imax I'd bought a year or two back as there was no way I could hide it like the Antron (had bought it for exactly that reason). It would have stuck up nearly 10ft above the conifers whereas the Antron is only about 3ft and just looks like the central part of the conifer. I might be able to get the Antron up a couple of extra foot, but that'd be really pushing it ;)
GusWroclaw
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 161TM313

Post by GusWroclaw »

radiogaga wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:07 I wouldn't even entertain a vertical but instead look at running a loop (if the garden is square) round the garden.
I wonder, what's the reason for avoiding a vertical? Is there something specific to OP's situation or do you avoid vericals in general?
161-TM-313 - Midland Alan 42
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

GusWroclaw wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 15:24
radiogaga wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:07 I wouldn't even entertain a vertical but instead look at running a loop (if the garden is square) round the garden.
I wonder, what's the reason for avoiding a vertical? Is there something specific to OP's situation or do you avoid vericals in general?
Gus, vertical antennas are much more susceptible to electrical interference, that's why the loop was suggested.

73's Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
GusWroclaw
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 161TM313

Post by GusWroclaw »

GaryWilson wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 12:19 Gus, vertical antennas are much more susceptible to electrical interference, that's why the loop was suggested.

73's Gary.
Thanks Gary, good to know. And is it the case that even a vertically polarized loop is better than a vertical in this case? Or is it vertical polarization in general what needs to be avoided in this case? I wouldn't mind reading more info on why verticals are so bad if you have a an explanation or a link to an explanation. :geek:
161-TM-313 - Midland Alan 42
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

GusWroclaw wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 12:43
GaryWilson wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 12:19 Gus, vertical antennas are much more susceptible to electrical interference, that's why the loop was suggested.

73's Gary.
Thanks Gary, good to know. And is it the case that even a vertically polarized loop is better than a vertical in this case? Or is it vertical polarization in general what needs to be avoided in this case? I wouldn't mind reading more info on why verticals are so bad if you have a an explanation or a link to an explanation. :geek:
Gus, sorry for the delay replying. Most electrical interference will be polarised horizontally so any antenna which has a vertical element to it will be prone to picking up those signals. It is widely accepted that horizontal antennas are less noisy because of this. There are considerations though if you are working local stations that are vertically polarised you will see a big reduction in the wanted signal if you are horizontally polarised, if you are working DX/skip stations then this is much less relevant and horizontal becomes beneficial because of the reduced noise received.

73's Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ