hygain v

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
danq
New User
New User
Call Sign: cat21

hygain v

Post by danq »

hi guys dug out my old hygain v made a dipole and set it up, seems to find a few foreign stations but not sure its getting out.
have a friend checking the mic for me as its not the original ,have listened to the old cb fm channels and cant here a thing so i think they have all expired. any ideas as to what my pro may be
thanks
dan
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: hygain v

Post by The Collector »

In some areas there are a few people left on, but they're few and far between. In some places there's bugger-all activity.

If you're hearing foreign stations then your tx should be working fine, it's just no one is on near you. I can hear a couple of people 10-20 miles away, but there's no one on around here less than that. Without a big aerial high up, you're limited as to what you'll hear or reach.

Years ago, there were breakers in nearly every road, now there's only about one in every city ;)

It may get a bit busier in the evenings so don't give up just yet. Get your mates on too.

What area are you in? Someone on here may be local and could arrange a shout out to you.
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

what dave said, huge antenna needed to hear nearby towns, but a piece of wire will pick up the world when conditions are right, if you get back into it this is what your chimney should look like :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buying and hoarding CB radio's is an illness
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
1993-present, "Superstar"
occupation-running a retirement home for elderly cb radios
Fozzy Bear dont care ya know, so er thats the story!
danq
New User
New User

Post by danq »

hi guys
thanks for reply
am in harlow, bit of a hole in the ground really. top of my half wave dipole is about level with top of house, heard rome and france last evening italian was very loud as they used to be lots of footwear probably but thats about it and neither answered my call, guess the antenna should be better abd higher i used to run a 30ft verticle on top of my roof in the good old days talked all over he world but that was at a different location in brentwood
thanks again
dan
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Get a cheap but decent quality, second-hand silver-rod type aerial and get most of it (if not all of it) above your roofline. That should help a bit. Then buy a minimum 100watt FM/AM amp to help matters ;)
danq
New User
New User

Post by danq »

sounds like a plan
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Theres a decent-power amp for sale on the "for sale" board on here that'd help. It's one of the recent ads and is in amongst a few bits that the seller has.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The Collector wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:17 Get a cheap but decent quality, second-hand silver-rod type aerial and get most of it (if not all of it) above your roofline. That should help a bit. Then buy a minimum 100watt FM/AM amp to help matters ;)
100w amp won;t help you hear stations ;-). just saying

I wonder if anyone on this forum is local to you? If so, we could perhaps schedule a contact to see how you're getting on. I'd still recommend getting you antenna a bi higher too, especially if you live in a low-lying area.

good luck :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

[/quote]

100w amp won;t help you hear stations ;-). just saying

[/quote]

'Tis true, but all the others are probably running power so he may hear someone at some point (like the foreign stations he mentioned) but they won't be able to hear him back unless he reciprocates. To get back to someone using a decent amp, unfortunately you usually need an amp too.

It's probably why I can't get back to all those people in Wales I can hear by using just my 10watt radio ;)
hal2710
Call Sign: 26TM2710

Post by hal2710 »

The Collector wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 20:07
It's probably why I can't get back to all those people in Wales I can hear by using just my 10watt radio ;)
Pirate's.........coz they R !

There's a "Jolly" one near me. He gets out all-over the place.....

Copy, copy that Tommy :wave:
Last edited by hal2710 on 28 Jul 2018, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
26-TM-2710, SuperDoh Homebase, Lake Manxman 850. Homemade Inverted Vee Di-pole in the loft.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Well my Excalibur's 10watts into my Antron is the equivalent of 1watt into a silver rod, so I'm hardly surprised ;)
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

If the dipole is horizontal other stations with vertical antennas will not receive you that well as you signals are polarized differently, for local stations vertical is best for skip it makes little difference.

73s Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
danq
New User
New User

Post by danq »

dipole is vertical and top is about level with top of house roof