What's your fave old school multimode radio

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

Re: What's your fave old school multimode radio

Post by astradyne »

original45 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 12:42 Jacko , yes I must say I do like the Jackson 1. Didn't they do a 6 band version too ?.

I just have this thing about the ss with frequency counter on.

Having variable ssb output would be nice too
Yes, there were six band Jackson's. They were produced from the mid 90's until production stopped. The very late models had an MRF455 output to replace the discontinued MRF577. A sub board was added to accommodate this.

Sadly the later Jackson's were pretty dire. Cheap components, bad build quality and still had the AGC issue. Not a good end to a classic radio.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Has to be the hygain v 2795dx for me although i owned a 2795 then bought the dx version and sold that for the 8795 with the four blocks of 50 channels which although was a nice radio it never had the same obvious bleep that people could distinguish it as a hygain..
First mutimide i owned was a knackered concorde 1 which i had repaired by a local radio tech and worked the world on it hooked to a sigma 2 antenna and bremi brl200 linear.
Loved the ham international stuff for a while bought a concord 2 and eventually settled on a mk1 jumbo but still kept the hygain till eventually selling the lot in 1986.
I still have a hygain 2795dx in superb condition along with the trusty old 148 gtl dx just for nostalgia purposes although do use the hygain quite a lot and it works exellent since nick worked his magic on it
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

President Grant 1, Superstar 360FM, President Jackson 1...all my favorits. Every Radio has its plus Points.
ghce
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: CH2739

Post by ghce »

My current favourite is my Galaxy DX 95T2, so many (useless) bells and whistles but fun all the same, not very old skool but old enough now to qualify, had so many different CB radio's over the years since the 70's but most of them were a bit so so.
Last edited by ghce on 20 Oct 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

Lincoln MK1, Cobra 148GTL-DX, President Grant Silver, President Jackson Taiwan, Stalker 9.
Lots of greats radios were made between 1980 to 2000 ish.
Nothing in that bracket now, all rubbish.
SS3900
M1JWR

Post by M1JWR »

Colt 320fm black shadow, always liked the chrome and black together
but then again it was just a tristar 747/hy gain v in drag
but at least it looked good
ghce
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: CH2739

Post by ghce »

My 95T2 from above post as it came from the USA.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Fireproof wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 09:43 Lincoln MK1, Cobra 148GTL-DX, President Grant Silver, President Jackson Taiwan, Stalker 9.
Maybe the people who test these new radios on air,need to tell the manufacturers that the prototype being used,is not going to live upto the needs of the modern Cb radio users.

It must be someone with an amateur radio background who will test these radios on air Fireproof,not someone who is a pound short of a fiver,someone who is meant to know what they are testing,so you would be better to ask the testers how they think new CBs are good enough for them,but sh1t for the majority who think they are as you describe = rubbish.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

108EH002 wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 06:41
Fireproof wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 09:43 Lincoln MK1, Cobra 148GTL-DX, President Grant Silver, President Jackson Taiwan, Stalker 9.
Maybe the people who test these new radios on air,need to tell the manufacturers that the prototype being used,is not going to live upto the needs of the modern Cb radio users.

It must be someone with an amateur radio background who will test these radios on air Fireproof,not someone who is a pound short of a fiver,someone who is meant to know what they are testing,so you would be better to ask the testers how they think new CBs are good enough for them,but sh1t for the majority who think they are as you describe = rubbish.
I have tried the newer Radios hoping I would be proved wrong but unfortunately the sadness starts at the unboxing process. Firstly the build quality tends to shine through as poor, plastic and feeling of low quality. The only modern Radio I actually thought was quite good is the Jackson 2 first version in black but with a quite expensive retail price. Now days I think looking for New Old Stock is the way forward, least that way if you do sell it later on down the line you have a product which is in demand and will most probably command a decent sell on fee. I would imagine back in the day when CB was in its hay day budgets for manufacturers would have been massive due to global demand, also radios then were very expensive compared to weekly or monthly wages. Nowadays you can buy a cheap multi standard rig for around £40 new!
SS3900
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

Nearly all new radios sounding awfull on RX and TX. No dynamics in audio, just flat and most times noisy. Speacialy in SSB RX. Compares Jackson 1/2, Lincoln 1/2, Grant 1/2, Superstar 360/3900 against 6900 etc...
New Radios often have more TX power, but thats it...
Dave C
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 27PL259

Post by Dave C »

The Collector wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 18:29 Anything weird-coloured or gold-plated :)
Loved the look of the Cobra's, even the smaller ones... there's a 60's - 70's Ford Mustang thing going on somewhere with them... :)
Life is like a box of chocolates.... Usually empty when I get there.... :crazy:

Rigs: Major M588 AM FM SSB (Std), President Grant II Premium (Std), Midland Alan 78 Plus (Std), Lowe TX 40 (Std).

Twigs: Antron 99 (Std), K40 Mag, Firestick 4', Cherokee Dial A Match 4', Sirio 1000 PL Mag.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I am currently running PC-999AD (Black front dual clarifier)Grant. Modified with a Maurer module, it has UK40 on a 4 position band switch, and had +5kc and +10kc on the buttons on the front.
What more could you want? (apart from perhaps -5kc instead of +5kc)

The TX audio on it is far better than on a PB-010 boarded radio.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Loved my old hygain v 8795 which i bought back in 1984 ish and it was the only one in the north east at that time so felt quite special to own one...four blocks of 50 channels but the downside for me was the famous pewit roger beep had been changed by the manufacturer to a boring normal beep!!
Also loved my ham international jumbo too complete with bremi brl 200 linear hooked up to an avanti sigma 2 antenna on the back of the parents house on a 30ft pole.
Had some fabulous qso’s on ssb back in the day on that jumbo and wish id never sold it or the hygain infact ive not seen another hygain 8795 in a lot of years now pretty rare to get hold of these days
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think everyone's favourite is subjective. Its often the radio they first made an international QSO on or some other radio first. I know that rarely is it that you eventually get a radio that everyone raves about (Cobra 148, Lincoln) and then that becomes your favourite. I've had several of both and never really had an affinity for them. The radio I think I personally have the most love for wasn't even a Multimode, It was a Uniden 300 Homebase with MIDs added. Man, I have some great days working EU on that think with an A99 propped against the fence in the back garden. Good times :-)

Love the stories though guys :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

MrWeetabix wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 12:14 Man, I have some great days working EU on that think with an A99 propped against the fence in the back garden. Good times :-)

Love the stories though guys :thumbup:
Nowadays, with Mr.Weety's drinking habit, it's usually HIM that you'll find propped up against the fence in his back garden ;)