Talk to me about swr and matchers

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Talk to me about swr and matchers

Post by original45 »

Never owned a matcher or even used one.
I have seen the modern plug in jobs where you press button and it does it automatically but one their costly 2 I like manual stuff.

I would like to add a swr matcher to my radio set up and I'm considering
A used model ,I keep seeing model 175 matchers on fleebay with a swr and matcher meter, would this kind decent model to purchase firstly and are they the simplest to use and suitable .

Planning to use something on Linc 1 .

I'd appreciate you best advices please. Pros and cons.

Thank you
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Talk to me about swr and matchers

Post by ch25 »

Matcher placed next to radio protects your final(s) from destroying due to bad SWR. That's all.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

If you have an SWR below 2:1 you don't need a matcher and as far as your application is concerned a matcher basically lowers the power output of the radio.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Tuning your antenna is far more effective than using an ATU (Matcher)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I have tuned the antenna as well as its able. However on the edges of frequencies I can use they are just over 2 ,whilst this is still acceptable ,call me over protective I would rather lower the swr than risk damage or over working of any internals .

If anyone has recommendations for specific models also I'd be happy to consider them.

Also I note on some of the older 175/176 /178 models some still have the wire rod present, whilst some don't.

Is this important,are they specific lengths and gauge or can I make one simply to replace if I purchase one with missing wire
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

What matchers do and don't do is possibly the biggest can of worms in amateur radio,
on one side you have walt maxwell and others giving us the conjugate match theorem,

on the other you have guys like Owen duffy and others,
these guys have argued about it for years, articles refuting each theory have surfaced from time to time,

Then there was an English guy who said they were both incorrect, can't recall his name,

i used to try to follow the arguments back & forth, then it all got too much to be bothered with, even the smart folk can't agree,

There are matchers & matchers, some are lossy and some with little loss, units like mod 178 are low power cb matchers with plastic tuning capacitors, easy to burn up especially if the vswr is high before you put the matcher in line,
the wire antenna is for field strength, any bit of wire will do the job.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you , yes I just noted they are in fact for low power radios.

Zetagi tm 999 seems to cover what I need power wise,swr ,power Meter and antenna matcher.
Anyone recommend these , not going to break the bank reviews seem ok too ? .
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

100/200W with those tuning caps? b0llox.
Chris
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Take it their crap then .
Ur5by9

Post by Ur5by9 »

Tim wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 15:30 If you have an SWR below 2:1 you don't need a matcher and as far as your application is concerned a matcher basically lowers the power output of the radio.
Or listen to that load of coswollop :thumbdown:

An Antenna matcher is nothing more than a compromise to trick the radio into seeing a low standing wave ratio which will prolong the finals of the radio longer.

It does this by matching the impedance of the antenna to the feeder, compromise being the key word however if its the best you have to work with then it will allow you work with what you have. Handy in many applications for tuning using multi band use. Performance is another story.

I use an Automatic tunner on 100ft of wire to tune the HF band's.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

No compromises for me. All antennas are resonant where should be.
Chris
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

If you're going to buy one , then my advice would be to buy a decent one . It'll last you a lifetime . I bought a Palstar one a few years back and it works great .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

If an antenna on a quite narrow band gives unacceptable performance at these edges, it's not a very useful antenna - the band is not wide, and if an ATU is needed to rectify a poor antenna, then I'd want to be using a different antenna. After all, the poor antenna is still poor, the ATU just convinced the transmitter to be comfy with it.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

If it was me original45,I would keep the money that you are looking to spend/waste on a matcher,and buy a decent homebase antenna instead of buying equipment you won't use in the future,as a decent antenna doesnt need a matcher on 27 MHz.
Last edited by 108EH002 on 11 Jun 2018, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

original45 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 16:53 I have tuned the antenna as well as its able. However on the edges of frequencies I can use they are just over 2 ,whilst this is still acceptable ,call me over protective I would rather lower the swr than risk damage or over working of any internals .

If anyone has recommendations for specific models also I'd be happy to consider them.

Also I note on some of the older 175/176 /178 models some still have the wire rod present, whilst some don't.

Is this important,are they specific lengths and gauge or can I make one simply to replace if I purchase one with missing wire
As well as it is able = have you wrapped copper wire around the threaded end of the groundplane legs and tried altering the swr in this way ?
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb