preamp

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

preamp

Post by WARLOCK »

euro LT1 preamp or any preamp ? are they of any use on a cb radio or just a waist of money ?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: preamp

Post by ch25 »

Waste of money.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

As lemmy above says
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I tried one back in the early 80's as a kid. I think it was a Zetagi one but could be wrong. It just seemed to amplify the static as much as the signals in it and didn't make any difference in being able to make out more vocals. Have never bothered again since.
canuck777
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2e1mha

Post by canuck777 »

I bought one of the zetagi mobile ones. not much use. problem with cb preamps are the noise figure is very high. so you end up amplifiying all the crap and noise, everything, as well as the signal. i do have a amateur 10 meter preamp which worked very well on cb until it broke. it was a mobile one with variable gain. and a much lower noise figure. they can be of some use on very weak SSB signals especially ground wave but you really need a lowish noise floor at you're location. one other thing, there is a german company on ebay uk selling 11 meter preamps professional ham grade. very low noise figure of around 0.9 DB. The cb ones like the zetagi are around 2-4 DB!. the company sells "in shack" and masthead versions, around $150 each which is normal for pro grade preamps. i will try one sometime in the future.