which cybernet radioto buy ???

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

which cybernet radioto buy ???

Post by WARLOCK »

would like to give a cybernet radio a try having had nearly all uniden radios in the past, what would you say is a good cybernet radio for me to get and try to see how good they are compeared to the uniden radios i have had in the past i am fed up with the new breed of radios so going old school with a twist cybernet instead of uniden .
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: which cybernet radioto buy ???

Post by Mudslinger »

Personally I like the later ones such as the Tristar 777 with the PTBM125 board, also the Nato 2000 and its clones such as the Tristar 797/848

The very early PTBM059COX in the Multimode 2 is a good board once it has had the SSB Bias corrected and the FM audio sorted out.

However, I think the PTBM121 board such as fitted to the Concorde 2, Tristar 747, Earlier Hi-Gain 5 and a few others is the worst one of the lot.

Others will have their own preferences for sure. On Balance I still prefer Unidens, but it is nice to use something different once in a while.

Checkout Dave (Cubwolf) facebook page. :)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I have a really nice Multimode 2 here. It works very well for what it is (a Cybernet). There are always plenty floating about on eBay but, as we've seen recently, a good clean Multimode/Concorde/Hygain etc will cost top dollar.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

121 board rigs can be sorted out as well few mods for them.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

CaptainKirk wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 10:43 121 board rigs can be sorted out as well few mods for them.
I had my 747 sorted in the FM and SSB departments and it still wasn't as good as the others.

The SSB recieve sounds very "Thin" as well.

The 059 radios sound great on SSB once modded.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Apart from the obvious Frequency Muffalation design issue and the hard wired crystal band switch selection (yuk) I think the 059 board is a good design. Off the top of my head, similar to the US FCC approved single band 048 board. Better SSB TX audio and better AGC on receive. If you look at the later designs, the component count goes down as Cybernet tried to make them cheaper to produce or at least be more competitive as they wacked more and more bands on them. Quantity over Quality!
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

There is certainly a reduction in the spaghetti style wiring in the later ones.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

True thank goodness, and diode switching on the band crystals with better stability.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

For price, the Tristar 777's are a good choice. They can be picked up for as little as £40...or as much as £100+ in mint condition. MM2's are about the same price, but as mentioned, aren't quite as sorted.
To be honest though, I know bugger all about sidebanders apart from seeing the prices they fetch. My totally battered but working (as far as I know) MM2 cost £29 plus postage on ebay, but I only bought it to tart up.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The trouble with rough ones is that they are hard to tart up. Sure covers can be painted but it is very hard to make the front panels look nice again, and second had fronts are rare.

I paid £40 for a Tristar 777 two weeks back, it is pretty tidy but needs repairs inside, to me thats better than working well but rough outside as the insides are easier to sort.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I did mine in gold with black lines if you recall. To get it back to original-looking would've been difficult...and boring ;)
Triple3

Post by Triple3 »

WARLOCK wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 21:53 would like to give a cybernet radio a try having had nearly all uniden radios in the past, what would you say is a good cybernet radio for me to get and try to see how good they are compeared to the uniden radios i have had in the past i am fed up with the new breed of radios so going old school with a twist cybernet instead of uniden .
I was the same (but opposite) with cutting my teeth on Cybernets in 1979, i currently have a small line up of SSB Cybernets.
So i went and got hold of a Jackson 1 and after a few months of use, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

I've got quite an array of cybernet ssb radios here purely because I like them. When it comes to uniden I've got cobra 148's and superstar 360's which I think are very good radios but they're the only uniden ssb sets I've ever owned.
163TM122 - ROB
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

Avenger wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 23:08 I've got quite an array of cybernet ssb radios here purely because I like them. When it comes to uniden I've got cobra 148's and superstar 360's which I think are very good radios but they're the only uniden ssb sets I've ever owned.
Same here, i have more cybernets than unidens, i like the different makes from same pcb/chassis. I have more radios now than i ever did back in the day. Most people back in 70s/80s had a couple and sold on radios to move to next/new radio.
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

I am a bit overloaded here Tbh but always find that extra bit of space for that next little project
163TM122 - ROB