Superstar 6900N - onboard SWR meter

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
morgz84
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26UK81

Superstar 6900N - onboard SWR meter

Post by morgz84 »

Is the SWR function on these rigs naff? No idea how you are supposed to read it, it just shows the normal S meter in SWR mode. Running barefoot with a matcher (1:1) inline, the SWR meter seems to read what looks like high, but there is no scale to quantify the bars with. Even without a matcher, the rig SWR tends to read higher than an inline meter. The bars go up to S3 without an amp, with a KL203 inline, up to S5. Matcher is installed antenna side of of the amp, 1.2:1 is best I can achieve with the matcher. Do I need to worry about the radio SWR readings, when there is a dedicated tuner / SWR meter reading the right signs at the business end? It's a mobile setup and my antenna is a Modulator which at some point in it's life was cut too short.
MrPaul009
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Fb009

Re: Superstar 6900N - onboard SWR meter

Post by MrPaul009 »

Hi there,the as 6900 v5 I had was pretty good going by a mydell meter I have.but i never tried it with a linear in line.one bar was 1.1 swr 5 bars 1.5 I think.
Regards
morgz84
Regular
Regular

Post by morgz84 »

Aah OK, that sounds good, cheers. I wind the power well back to drive the linear. Don't plan on using it with the amp much, just nice to have the facility available.

I am not all against digital meters, but they should look like an analogue one or else the various chunks of led mean nowt. My Ranger is even worse, even the S meter is just a stack of meaningless blocks. I have to confess to giving out completely off the wall signal reports. "Five by nine breaker!" :D

I've moaned about this radio a couple of times now, but all in all I am really enjoying the rig. It's just ironing out some of it's peculiar quirks.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

SWR function in CB is basically an information I have antenna, I don't have antenna. Most CB swr/power meters work exactly the same way. Reading on the scale have nothing to do with real condition.
With poorly designed amp, which kl203 is, swr between radio and amp can be sky high.
You get what you paid for.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
morgz84
Regular
Regular

Post by morgz84 »

I've got a KL203 which provided about four years of service, I since bought another for use in the car. I suppose they are pretty cheap and nasty, but they work for the most part. I have noticed though, to get close to the full stated output, you need to be driving it close to the 10W limit. My previous 203 only ever had to deal with a 4W Uniden Uniace 100. They are cheap and nasty... but they have worked for me in the past. I have however read that some of these el-cheapo amps "don't like" the el-cheapo MOSFETs in the Anyclone. Oh, the irony! {bnghd}