New Ranger 2950

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

New Ranger 2950

Post by astradyne »

This new version is called the 2950 CD and now has a multicolour LED display in place of the older LCD type screen.

Your thoughts...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... tU&ampcf=1
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: New Ranger 2950

Post by sickboy »

Looks ok but where's the S meter?
Embrace your inner muppet !
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

On the very far left of the display.

https://youtu.be/RGW9Gd1T1uU
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

astradyne wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 09:48
Your thoughts...
The guy in the video says that it produces "an awesomely clean waveform" , so I'm sold :thumbup:
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Same crap like before, but colourful display. SOLD!
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

looks nice , these are one radio i have never had , but that lastest one is definately catching ones eye
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

not a bad looking radio
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I quite like the look of this new version. I've owned a couple of the later 2950's. A DX version 2 and a version 3. The main thing I didn't like about them was the very high level of white noise on SSB. Made listening a chore for anything longer than 10 -20 minutes. Various mods have come out for them to address this such as a tighter IF filter. I used mine with a DSP audio filter which made it a lot easier to listen to.

Mind you, as a leftie, I appreciated the tuning knob being on the left hand side of the radio! :D

The way the exchange rate is these days in GB, I reckon this will be on the expensive side to import and that's likely to limit the numbers.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

andrew013 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 10:27 looks nice , these are one radio i have never had , but that lastest one is definately catching ones eye
Not as eye catching as my old 2950dx that one required sunglasses 8)
Anyone here recognise it / have any info on it now ? Blue LEDs were superbly done by Bigpimp back in the day. !!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fpC2mi0IF1g
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Displays better from what Ive seen at angles on vids on youtubby
but watch it with Rangers as FCC spec fm wide 3-4khz deviation for 10m band USA specs not our CB FM system

they always need modifying for UK\EU FM CB narrow (ETSI\EN specs 2.00khz dev max\9khz bandwidth all other specs defunct for 2017) so compatible with CB FM Multi Norm FM system thats current spec.
Otherwise like most of these 10m export sound low AF gain on FM rx with legal fm cb radios
and TX too loud over deviated 3+ khz dev.

AM-SSB ok

Havnt seen internals yet,but if like RCI-2950DX there no fm dev pot its fixed at 3-4khz dev,non clipped wave form,pretty poor flat audio,needs diode clipper put back in\dev pot.
Ive finally got down to bottom of this,so if similar pcb maybe same,not confirmed yet.

Im working on some fixes to address this and should be able to apply the new ranger as they tend to copy circuits from previous models.
SS-158EDX has the same fm issue's luckily this does have fm TX audio clipper,(now fixed) deviation control,the RX side is just a resistor change in FM discriminator to bring audio level up for compatible Multi-Norm FM mode sets based on ETSI\EN FM standards
60% dev=1.2khz (should get max audio into speaker load 5 to 5.5Volts RMS into 8ohm load)
100% dev=2.00khz max
9khz IF bandwidth system
speech peaks can exceed a little and thats fine.

The FM discriminator is same circuit as RCI2950/70DX ranger set these from factory based on 3khz=60% for 5khz based fm system.
They is some history with this,inc SS3900 (not same circuits but fm systems)

Sorry if waffling just back filling on previous models to make peeps aware,could be same on new model poss?

Need schematics to look at circuits,but suspect same,just new LED display unit guessing here.

Until a service manual released hmm cant be 100% yet,but have a good understanding on Ranger kit.

Be fine for Am\SSB
Not Rohs II or CE ETSI\EN approvals Certs either so maybe import issues in UK-EU lands through normal dealers due to EU laws+plus Import taxes?
No UK warranty

Not sure why Ranger refuses to get stuff Rohs II|CE\ETSI\EN approved have a bigger market then,maybe because EU specs tighter than FCC stuff or Cost,Marketing god knows.
Bit of a shame but im sure there other ways to get Grey import in from other places.

Time will tell.

Rob 73's

PS if anyone does have a schematic quite willing to take a look on fm and compare circuit's if an issue is there and resolve for UK\EU uses.
43Echo695
Regular
Regular

Post by 43Echo695 »

Saw these new display Rangers on an Amercian webiste, and like the look of the display.

I have a 2950DX in the mobile.

I wonder if these new displays will find their way onto other 29xx series radios and become the norm???

73's