SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Re: SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

Post by chazwozza »

They work better at height it's a tough Aerial to beat that's for sure maybe mount on some kind of telescopic mast?
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

Post by 108EH002 »

Tim wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 18:36 My main antenna is a modified 1/2 wave vertical which is not taped up in any way or form on the section joints or connection points, yes, it will get a bit of moisture ingress but it allows it to breath and dry out. The very nature of metal getting hot and cold will with hollow tubing, condensate inside anyway so if you have it all taped and sealed up that condensation cannot escape and you end up with a water filled antenna that corrodes and breaks down quicker. The most important thing is to keep all the joints tight and not let them work loose, that's where most problems occur in my experience.
Unless its an antenna that is not an end fed vertical like an 827,plenty diameter for water to escape inside as there is a run off cone exactly for this inside.Tape them well up at all the joins as tape is cheap and £100 isnt eh.,but especially the top 2 as the second top has 2 self tappers and the top section has a grub screw,the rest of the sections are swaged so cant fall inside.Make sure you get the vibration ring for birds/wind bending the legs and cover the nuts (8×2) on the underside with brown mastic,better safe than sorry for a quid.I just use an Imax with white taped joins,2" above and below the metal joins as the nuckles that form each join are just glued on the outside fibreglass.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb