best reliable radio for 11m

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

best reliable radio for 11m

Post by mrpsychopath »

Hi all, looking for a new radio that i can get on with thats reliable, without to many quirks, must cover at least mid, hi and uk in all modes. Prefer a radio thats not to mini, big hands and small buttons are a pain.
Still dont know whether i will be able to go back to a channelised radio, so i will add a frequency counter into my setup to help. I like the midland 8001 looks as i have an xt, but is quirky, my last long term radio was an albrecht a85s. Which was a change from cb type radios. I like the older jackson,grant range. I like ham concordes, and the fact that the failings on the cybernet radios can be sorted. Like the cobra 148 gtl dx just dont like the lazy meter. Like midland ssb radios, colt black shadows ect. What are early ss3900 based midland 8001 like. Lots of questions looking for answers. Thanks for looking. :thumbup:
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: best reliable radio for 11m

Post by MrWeetabix »

what is your budget?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Would be easier I think to say which ones to avoid, such as anything with President, Lincoln or Ranger in the name.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Depends on radio and condition mr W, will be selling off some so this helps the budget, might have trades seller would be interested in as well. List to avoid would be helpfull. Dont want to buy a hf radio with all bells and whistles, to many buttons and to old to re learn.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Never be afraid of an HF radio, you are never too old to learn. I had a 26 year break from radio coming back to it with my original Superstar 360FM and 12 months later progressed to a Yaesu FT-450D so if I at 3 score years and 3 can do it so can anyone else I'll wager.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

Hi TIM , why avide anything with president , lincoln , ranger, i have a president lincoln , president george , ranger 2950dx and i find them to be very good rigs ???
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I agree with George, although I am not a fan of Ranger stuff myself unless it is an early 3900.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

WARLOCK wrote:Hi TIM , why avide anything with president , lincoln , ranger, i have a president lincoln , president george , ranger 2950dx and i find them to be very good rigs ???
Well, most of the modern President and Lincoln radios I've heard are off frequency, the Ranger seems to have power output failure issues and I haven't heard any good ones of these within my RX range yet.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

HI TIM i have just got myself another cobra 148 that seems to be working very well after being set up by black spirit in wales , I cannot see the need to use a HF radio for CB ,As i have a ticket i do use HF sets but not for CB , The HF radio i use is a old Icom IC-7O6 MK2G i find this beats a Yeasu 450D which i had and got rid of as it did not perform half as well as my Icom , Back to cb radios there are loads of oldschool cb radios that perform well enough for cb radio..
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Forget HF Radios for 11m use ....Try get a Cobra 148 or SS360 so much more nostalgic fun...Hate the black box no character HF stuff with a passion.
26TM114
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Had both new back in the day, found the 360 at least not a lazy as the 148. Had the stealth 360. Might look at that or a Jackson.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The needle can be adjusted inside if it is lazy. Not a good reason to avoid an otherwise great radio IMO.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

I know, not knocking them, still trying to think about what to get. Got my saturn back from Nick tuned up and ukfm added, so currently getting used to it again. Jumping back and forward between saturn and crt9900 at moment while midland is in for service. Think i will get a nicely sorted older radio for homebase, saturn takes up a lot of room on my desk. Keep looking at maddisons, but they are even bigger than saturn.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

:geek: :geek: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Not that classic lol