Best Linear for 27 MHz?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Re: Best Linear for 27 MHz?

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

Tim wrote:In the specs for the KL-505 it gives the output power on SSB 'up to' 300W so that means it may just peak at 275 (ish). Like I said before, to get 500 or more out you need an HF linear.
Tim,

What what peak output do you think I should see from my 1500W amplifier?

Unit 148
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Depends, what make is it? Is it solid state or valve? Output power will depend on what you put into it and without knowing the specs and put a good power meter that will read 2K between it and your antenna I couldn't make a guess.
JAFO
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: WR1Million

Post by JAFO »

I liked my Skipper 300 and recommend one highly. 600w pep when working tip-top, and due to the 1 driving 3 design, tends to provide the equivalent of RF speech processing on SSB for that extra punch!
- though they usually could use fresh tubes (8950, 6KD6*) and/or fresh high voltage supply doubler caps to get it up to spec.

It's also nice that it only requires about 12w-20w pep to fully drive it.

I would still have mine if it weren't for a local (dummy) CBer who wanted to swap for one, so I did and took home his Drake L4B, repaired the forty-cent HV lockout protection resistor he blew when he powered it up with the case open, and voilá, had a smart 1200w pep. :thumbup:

*Running 6v filament 6KD6 tubes require you series every 2 tube socket filaments, since the stock 8950 sweep tubes utilize a 12v filament.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.