Picking up QRM

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
johnkyrle
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM3375

Picking up QRM

Post by johnkyrle »

Okay,now my 148 GTL-dx has a low noise floor.Daft?Well,yes but let me explain.I have moaned often enough about local interference which used to hit me on an S9+ during the winter months but eases during the summer.Now,at late afternoon/evening,my DX300 will suffer with major QRM from 20 metres upwards knocking out all but the strongest signals.The same with my SS3900 which reads an S5+ on the same antenna as the DX300.However,the 148 is soooo quiet,it is possible to make even long distance QSO's.Tonight,for example,I made a great QSO to North West Poland S7 R5 running 60 watts.On the SS,I wouldn't have heard the station calling!
All radio's are running the same antenna,an Imax 2000,so why should the Cobra be so immune to the QRM?Before anyone says the obvious,yes,I know the 148 is the best radio out there,never beaten and never will be (opening up a can of worms there!!)
Anyone explain this?
Oh,and many thanks to Black Spirit for the work done on the 3900,better than ever.Thanks Nick
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Re: Picking up QRM

Post by prettypolly »

fibre glass antenna will pick up static and very prone to it try an aluminium one i changed from fibreglass to aly never looked back since,..
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Post by theEarwigger »

Local noise varies all the time.
So does sky noise.

The only way the CBs is to have 2 radios lined up and switch between them quickly. They have poor RF performance compared to modern receivers, and basic signal metering.

-Rob
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

theres so many good radio users selling up because of qrm :cry:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)