Help with home brew dipole setup or suggestions please

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ninjapower
Regular
Regular

Help with home brew dipole setup or suggestions please

Post by Ninjapower »

After enjoying having a multi-band CB back in the van recently, complete with ultra discrete President Virginia antenna (highly recommended), I have decided that I fancy setting up my other Cobra CB in my upstairs home office. It is currently laying in a cupboard next to a good quality power supply unit and it seems a shame to leave it there for another couple of years.

There are a few people on locally, but to be honest, I want back in on the DX/skip action, running an amp etc. I enjoyed the odd long distance contact when I did it years ago.

But, like many on here, the restriction is what Homebase antenna I can use. I moved to a new-build house in a so called 'nice area' a little while ago, and the Mrs has begged me not
to deface the house with a large visible antenna, or anything that 'looks silly'...

Since I want to have a go at 27.555, CEPT, etc I don't think a Modulator on a biscuit tin is going to cut it (although Simonthewizard seems to manage 1500kms off a 50cm President Virginia sometimes!) :lol:

So I'm open to suggestions really.

My room where the CB will be is upstairs in the corner of the house, facing south, and I can attach a bracket to the windowsill or to the wall just next to the the window.

A silver rod, or something like an Antron is totally no no. It is too visible and will protude up above the house.

Provided the antenna consists of a slim discrete whip or wire, I can go up/down or left/right from the upstairs window by maybe 2-3 metres each way.

I've looked at Sirio/Sigma Boomerang antenna, but the reviews are mixed with some saying amazing and others saying not so good.

I don't mind trying or buying any suggestions that might fit the bill, but in the meantime, I found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322495321077

Is there any reason why I couldnt fix that to a small bracket and then screw something like a slim 9ft 'tankwhip' 3/8 thread antenna into each side of it to make a reasonable vertical dipole?

Or screw any other decent 3/8th mobile into each side?

Thanks
CBR1100XX
Call Sign: 108TM127

Re: Help with home brew dipole setup or suggestions please

Post by CBR1100XX »

Have you thought about this type , doesn't really spoil the neighborhood and keeps the wife happy .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nevada-PS11M- ... SwHoFXvWBl
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

A friend of mine uses a 9ft whip on one of the lorry door mirror ground plane brackets and gets good results from it.

The bracket is mounted on his chimney, and unless you look for it you can't really see it.

Not totally "non-suss" but not really obvious......
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

try a t2lt coax antenna so easy to use and make, you can mount them on a 6m/10 fiberglass roach pole (not carbon) and can be put up and down in seconds and as good as the silver rods and a99,i made one for around £7 and took it to france with me slung it up a tree and worke around 10 different countrys and the fold up to nothing. etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8xeq77kkI&t=785s.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Get yourself a 5 ele beam on a retractable mast and buy her a cute puppy.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Ninjapower
Regular
Regular

Post by Ninjapower »

Thanks for the advice so far.

I will look into the suggested dipole wires as well.

But perhaps not the 5 element beam and puppy scenario...
Diesel man
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 121

Post by Diesel man »

You can try a ground mounted vertical antenna like the A99 or the Gainmaster.

Because it's fibreglass you can spray paint it to blend in between trees or a bush. Look at stealth antennas on the web.

It would work fine for DX may be not as good on local stuff.