SS9900 vs CRE8900

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Jimthecrow
Regular
Regular

SS9900 vs CRE8900

Post by Jimthecrow »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting an SSB capable radio and have narrowed my choice down to the SS9900 (AT6666) or the CRE8900 (alinco dr-135dx). Has anyone been able to compare these directly? I get that the SS9900 is more powerful (but more prone to overheating??) and I've seen some complaints about the display on the CRE8900. I would be really interested to hear peoples thoughts on these two sets - and also any recommendations on other things to consider.

James
astradyne

Re: SS9900 vs CRE8900

Post by astradyne »

Hi James.

I've owned both. I ended up selling the Alinco as the display was unevenly lit and the RX audio was a bit raspy sounding. I do like the SS9900 though, I've owned the same one for over two years now and haven't a single complaint. Just don't run them at stupid power on FM and you'll be fine.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I think the main board inside is pretty similar.

I have had both the CRE and DR-135UK and they were ok, but not as good as the Magnum 257/Albrecht AE-485s
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I had an AT-6666 and it worked very well indeed. I think the receiver is better on SSB.
You need to back off the RF Gain a bit on the Alinco as it tends to overload on strong signals.

I'd choose the SS9900/AT-6666 over the Alinco
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Jimthecrow
Regular
Regular

Post by Jimthecrow »

Ah - thanks! Any recommendations for power supplies? It is a bit unclear from the manual if it draws 10 or 12A.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I would go for a bit bigger say 30A. That way you have some spare capacity for extra accessories.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Post by theEarwigger »

The CRE8900 is more a traditional CB, the SS9900 has fewer physical controls.

I have the '9900 and it receives/transmits well, with clear audio. The FQP13N10 output stage needs throttling back on FM, or it cooks! But the FETs are under £1 if they blow.

One observation on the construction of both... the SMD parts are packed very tightly. Not good practice. But my '9900 is still working...
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

I've been more than happy with my 6666. I've still got it and if i'm honest i wasn't expecting to keep a hold of it!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

this is a comprehensive review of the SS9900 https://youtu.be/BLSfzJCCl8M
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

i just picked up a 9900.. wasn't expecting much from it, but it's actually a okay set. smallish, nice heatsink.
Yes the damn thing gets so hot on low power FM that it will take skin off - (seriously needs a fan)

build quality decent - quite light, feels a bit 'hollow' NB is pointless on my PLT, but the ANL on AM is very good.
receiver does not mute tuning VFO like i seen some complain about.
i find tuning 'round a pain though, in something like 10kc steps it's ok.

Memory scan is good but needs a few more memories. not enough for all 10m FM reeater channels. grrr.

Very sensitive RX - a bit *too* sensitive for my noisy QTH - i run with RF gain backed off. receiver AGC is nice, s-meter functional, but a bit pooh IMHO

RX audio quality is good on all modes, but not loud enough to make your ears bleed, nice sound, especally with Hi cut on & external speaker.

TX audio quality is actually excellent - on all modes, on FM it's nice 'n' punchy, AM it's very clean & crisp too (mentionong no names Lincoln)

TX SSB quality is surpriingly nice, i guess the filters are reasonably wide so it TX's a nice full bodied SSB, instead of narrow & thin.

Slightly customisable bleeps are crap gimmicks & a waste of engineering apart from a single pip tone, which is all that's needed.
Echo - WTF ? in 2017 what idiot actually thinks this is of any use ? it's a infantile feature, and that muppet boat sailed years ago.
add speech processing instead.

Squelch is ok, but on any mode (for me) even on minimum it seems a bit tight, auto included.

you can hide some bands. i only have 10m, mid band and those 16 channels 27.415-27.605 on my set. not interested in anything else.

you can program the bands to go up in whatever step you want (in the PC software) must be a chore though
i didn't see the weird FCC steps on mid band - or anywhere, set just goes up in, say, 10kc steps, if it's set to. therefore +10kc switch pointless

i cant get memory channels to scan or tune in 'freq display mode' i just get 'mem 01' or 'mem 02' etc - so when it stops on a memory channel i have to remember what i progged into say 'mem 04' maybe it' me, it's a bit of a chore to use & tune around, though as it's effectively got several VFO 'places' when switching through bands, it's actually a good way to work.
i can't switch mine between HF and CB mode with buttons on the set. i get the option, but when selecting, it says 'error', ok via PC only.
standard mic is the fugliest mic i've ever seen.

*actual* CTCSS freq (eg 218.8hz) isn't listed in the menu when setting CTCSS - it's a numerical value - the manual has no key to which value is which tone however.. also, when TX CTCSS is enabled... it's automagically on RX too, so cant TX with a tone and RX without a tone. no MON button to override this.
not that i've found anyway.

Im sure most users won't care about much of these issues, i do, but with chinese radios, there's always some design flaw or two.
- Other people's experiences and findings will likely be different.. maybe i'm doing a few things wrong here so far :)
Jimthecrow
Regular
Regular

Post by Jimthecrow »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I got a SS9900 and have been very impressed with it. Only 2 things that I find a bit annoying are switching mode with button press, and messing up my channel presets when tuning in frequency mode. Next step is getting a decent antenna...