RM KL203P issues

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
johnkyrle
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM3375

Re: RM KL203P issues

Post by johnkyrle »

Dont want to fry the Cobra but dont really try my SS3900 as it doesnt have a variable power control either.Seems very odd.Should I try the Superstar instead as I know all connections are good and have double and triple checked everything?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Have you tried powering the amp from a car battery, and seeing if the problem is still there?

Like I said in the post before I don't think your power supply is up to the job and that is why you are getting problems.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, that is why I asked the question. Reduced voltage to the amp, caused by the PSU not being able to keep up, could be causing it to go unstable.

I use a car battery which is connected to a good quality but only 10A 13.8V power supply. The battery supplies the "Ooomf" on TX and is constantly topped up by the PSU. I have used this system for all the time I have been on 27mHz using various sets and amps with never a problem. Obviously one needs to be aware that a car battery can be a dangerous thing if safety precautions are not followed, such as fuses in the +ve lead(s) right close to the terminal, and make sure it can't get knocked over etc.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Dava
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Dava

Post by Dava »

Hello try wrapping your coax round the top of your ant mounting pole about 8-10 times close to ant base it will cut down harmonics radiation from coax worth a try and its cheap lol
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

johnkyrle wrote:Just purchased a KL203P.Issue is this.Dead key of 1 watt,I get 35 watts (approx) AM but the amp gets very warm quickly and the S.W.R goes out of the roof!Not a good thing!Setup is this;148GTL-DX to Dosy FC50 counter to KL203P to Zetagi TM999 and onto a Sigma Venom 5/8.Using RG8 mini throughout and no connection issues anywhere.Surely for an amp rated at (exaggerated obviously claims) 100 watts AM and 200 watts sideband,this is pretty crap.
Find it very difficult to get the S.W.R down to an acceptable level using the TM999 as well.Advance power input over 1.5 watts dead key and the S.W.R is manic.Could I be right in thinking the TM999 cannot handle the extra power going through?I know that the setup without it is running 1.25-1 with 10 watts AM and roughly 25 watts pep sideband.
Having read up on others users issues,they recommend an input of only 1-1.5 watts on a dead key.Surely though,the whole point of having this amp is to get at least 50-60 watts on A.M and maybe 100 watts on sideband?
Any ideas? :wtf:
I had similar issues with a small 25 watt Amplifier, it turned out to be the zetagi TM999. It was full of dry joints. I resoldered them, there was some improvement. But i still kept getting exaggerated readings. I was using the matcher in it as well. I ended up switching over to a zetagi match box type matcher and separate SWR meter. All good after that. I'm sure the zetagi TM999 was dodgy.
CB call. Shipwreck.
jason
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM070

Post by jason »

I had a high swr to power increase problem and found it to go away altogether when i raised my antenna further away from the house roof .
Not seen it since .

I dont know how or why but that was my cure . It was a A99 .