Aerial with poor receive???? Help please!

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Aerial with poor receive???? Help please!

Post by andymuza »

Tim wrote:Nothing like stating the obvious or teaching Granny to suck eggs!

Sometimes the obvious has to be stated because sometimes it's so basic it's overlooked.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

paulears wrote:aerials have the same performance on receive as they do on transmit. The only differences are power output, because this can be a few watts or hundreds - while the receiver performance remains constant. So the signal strength people get at their end can vary with your power output, but that's your only adjustment. I've always found that the few Watts that stock equipment puts out roughly balances what you get in. Those people with extra power often cannot hear the replies. That's quite normal.
Also known as Aligator Stations......All mouth and no ears :lol:
Sorry Paul, I'll get my coat.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Never heard that term - like it!
3pinplug

Post by 3pinplug »

Well its sorted!!!
He had tried a second radio he owns as mentioned and still the same issue then the other evening the three of us were chatting, me furthest away , guy in between and him furthest away and he starts answering me. Never could here me there before, asked him if he had played with aerial and he hadn't what he had done was brought a cheap shogun 40fm and now gets out and can hear us as he should! N
o more S4 deafness on our signals.
So the moral of this has to be try 3 rigs rather than two when testing your setup, his main rig is a new president grant so it appears to have come from factory deaf out of the box by 4s points not sure if this is a known fault but intersting to note.
Thanks for all your suggestions / comments and good to be able to report back a positive result we have been conducting range tests and it works a treat with good range and practically matching signal reports now.
Cheers all!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Oggy wrote:
paulears wrote:aerials have the same performance on receive as they do on transmit. The only differences are power output, because this can be a few watts or hundreds - while the receiver performance remains constant. So the signal strength people get at their end can vary with your power output, but that's your only adjustment. I've always found that the few Watts that stock equipment puts out roughly balances what you get in. Those people with extra power often cannot hear the replies. That's quite normal.
Also known as Aligator Stations......All mouth and no ears :lol:
Sorry Paul, I'll get my coat.

I have one around here. Not sure what is going on with his setup but I can hear him S5 R5 when he uses 4 watts. If I use 4 watts he cannot hear me, if I use 100w he says he can hear me but I am either quiet of have noise on top of me. I hit him nearly +30 at the time...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
3pinplug

Post by 3pinplug »

Sounds like a similar situation, sounds deaf by s4 / 5 - out of interest hes not also using a new grant is he?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

No he has a grant 1 pc-999 but has problems with other radios as well.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

I'd undo the galvanised guy ropes and see what happens?
I did this many years ago and i had the same problem. As soon as i removed the metal guy ropes problem gone.
Worth a shot?
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
3pinplug

Post by 3pinplug »

Hi Moofan
I will pass that suggestion on but with the shogun hes all sorted but yes worth trying that for the grant.