New superstar 3900eu

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: New superstar 3900eu

Post by Mudslinger »

I think they should go back to the drawing board and try and recreate an older EPT360010/11 version but using new components.

Trouble is with most components being made in China now at buttons prices and with shoddy quality I doubt it would even be possible to make a stable radio using those boards.

It is a shame as the radio is a classic design which has stood the test of time for good reason.

At least there are plenty of old ones to choose from instead.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

delboyonline wrote:I believe Simon acquired the radio from Radiozing who probably knew his intent was to see how stable is was.

It's not unreasonable to believe that the radio was checked/tuned prior to despatch and yet it appears to have problems.

I can only imagine how bad other radios could be when sent out unchecked from less reliable retailers....
Yes was from Mr Zing. Was it tuned etc? Don't know as had no stickers on the case for warranty etc. I don't think it's been looked at (power SSB 10w, FM 3w and AM 2/12w so nothing woohoo. Optima from them was incredible different to standard one I had. Never had a radio without sticker so not sure and Simon wasn't there the week I ordered it.

So I don't know actually either way. Audio is very good on AM and FM. SSB also good but Power lower than quoted. Galaxy blue counter arrived "delivery temperature was cold" but took it all to local repair and from desk to car to desk to top counter and turned on radio was 27.553.5 and after 13 minutes was 27.554.8 and turn KC shift a notch past centre ended in zero.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

delboyonline wrote:I believe Simon acquired the radio from Radiozing who probably knew his intent was to see how stable is was.

It's not unreasonable to believe that the radio was checked/tuned prior to despatch and yet it appears to have problems.

I can only imagine how bad other radios could be when sent out unchecked from less reliable retailers....
Thats alot of hate in that one post.

Did he turn you down for a freebie to test?
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

There are of course retailers that saw through the hype and won't stock it.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

rocket wrote:

There are of course retailers that saw through the hype and won't stock it.
It's not fight worthy. I bought it, I ordered a counter in USA and all arrived now. Noise level is zero compared to lincolns, Grants, Anytone, Albrecht and others so it'll be kept till it is sold.

It's hype, it's not new, it's nothing interesting or special. It's an old radio with EU added to make it sexy and flash, it don't! Anyone who invests zero, wants a freebie etc has no right to complain how something is or not. Is it better than low noise Grant II YES it is as no S2/4 noise. BUT has it lazy s-meter YES so it could have same noise just don't show it.

Power now 12w SSB and 5w FM and 4w AM and goes back on the shelf ready for action
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Kaos wrote:

Thats alot of hate in that one post.

Did he turn you down for a freebie to test?

No hate at all (Got me puzzled with that one Tim), no freebie asked for or offered, indeed no conversations between anyone at Radiozing and myself at all.

I considered buying the radio and I do love the old look but decided that there were too many comments concerning frequency drift. The 'technical report' issued did nothing to change my mind so I'll just stick with my 35+ year old Cobra 148 which still works very well and is much more stable by the sound of it.

I've spent a lot of money on radios over the years and following the disappointing Grant 2, terrible Lincoln 2 and quite frankly god awful Jackson 2 Chrome, I find difficult to justify spending any more on poor quality CB radios.

Just think for a little more than the cost of two Lincoln 2's you can buy a Yaesu FT857D or get the brand new Yaesu FT891......I know what I'd rather spend my money on.
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

My 3900 is "factory standard" only modification jumper moved

Nothing else touched or looked at
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

Whilst I know that the sets shouldn't drift.... and new ones shouldn't be prone to large warm up drifting....... the fact is that they do.

I like the 3900's, I've got/had enough of them, and I have learned to live with it. If you get one that's not been butchered, and pair it up with a decent mike such as an Astatic 575-M6, they make an excellent SSB setup.

If the drift is such a big thing, then build a crystal heater for it, or even put the XTAL into an oven then get it realigned. There are plenty of circuits out on the net for such things, and they're not difficult to make....
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Or just buy a Uniden boarded radio.

Sure they still drift a bit but you can basically just leave the clarifier in one place as they warm up.

On most 3900's you need to keep moving if for 15-30mins or so until they stabilise.

I agree they work well once settled though.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.