Moonraker Tornado Stinger Vs Sirio Performer 5000?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Gimpymoo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Gimpy

Moonraker Tornado Stinger Vs Sirio Performer 5000?

Post by Gimpymoo »

Hello all.

A total noob here, so learning as I go at the moment.

I currently have a mobile rig consisting of a CRT ONE N and a Moonraker Tornado Stinger 1.55m antenna.

My question is, with everything being equal, 2 mobile rigs communicating with each other with line of sight, would a Sirio 5000 2m offer any benefits over the Stinger assuming running at 4w. Is talk of the dark arts permitted here?

Thanks.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Moonraker Tornado Stinger Vs Sirio Performer 5000?

Post by The Collector »

They're 3 times as much for a reason :)

Would like one myself but will have to stick with my 49 pence CB-Line Sirio MIL copy thing for now.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

No disrespect intended, but in my humble opinion the Stinger antennas are crap, great for the 4x4 gang that want a mile max while churning up the mud at the weekend, but for general use they are rubbish.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I agree, springers are not all that great performance wise. The one I had I couldn't even get a decent SWR on.

A good cheaper antenna is the original modulator.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-MODULATOR ... SwstxVCrUC
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

i dont often get very technical on here and i do hate stingers/springers types and i love sirio antennas (apart from that gain master) but both the stinger and 5000 are of the same design
coil at the bottom with a whip on top per say
the 5000 is a small coil very high power one i admit with very long whip and taperd and around 6ft 5 inch
the stinger bigger coil smaller whip non taperd but at 5 ft 2 inch its smaller than the sirio but not as small as the mini stinger piece of rubbish but its a decent size but have been known to rust quick , have bad swr etc etc and i certainly wouldnt want one over a sirio antenna from the high power /performer range if you can pick up a sirio 4000 cheaper get that instead as there is very little in performance between the 4000 and 5000 and the 4000 is longer again than the 5000 (only just mind, the 5000 trucker 3/8th is the tallest of them all) and the more you have in the sky the better in my book
height is might as they say
i drive with the 5000 3/8 on car and when i pull up static the 9 ft whip comes out and the differnce with 2+ft to a guy in holland 1s point and louder audio but thats dxing which is another story under different conditions
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Normally antennas of similar length perform pretty much the same in the real world no matter where they are loaded, but for some reason the springers perform poorly for their size.

Maybe the open coil design messes up the radiation pattern? Also the SWR changes as you drive along due to the distance between the coils changing.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

highvoltageuk
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: GM7TMW

Post by highvoltageuk »

Back in the mobile CB days we ofter used Scarlet Warrior, Red Warrior, Red Thunder, Red Devil....Ok for the price but dont leave them in the sunlight too long some bent like a banana :crazy:
Kenwood TS-2000
Colt 1600DX[/color]
Gimpymoo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Gimpy

Post by Gimpymoo »

Thank you for the replies.

Not disagreeing with any of you here as I am very very new to the hobby so am still learning, BUT.. I think being a little harsh on the cheap stinger :)

I have got 4 miles over not so flat, urban terrain to someone with another Stinger which I think is pretty good? My SWR is a 1.5 which is not too shabby?

Will be getting a 5000 anyway as having seeing one in person, they are the business, need a stronger mount though.

Also, thanks to Andrew, I did not realise the Trucker variant was longer so that has settled that.

I have to say though, for someone new to the hobby, I got the CRT ONE N, Stinger and mount for £70 and for the fun it has gave and performance, I could not have hoped for anything better relative to the price.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If you want a decent mobile antenna then I recommend the AMPRO series from Moonraker. They have every flavour from 160-10 including an 11, but if you work a lot of UK40 then the 10 is better than the 11.

Despite your counter argument, I again suggest that the 'stingers' are crap.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

I wouldn't say people have been harsh on the cheap stinger (emphasis on the word cheap), just reporting honest opinions based on actual use. For me, there is no comparison. I've used the same Sirio 4000 since 2002 and worked all over the world on it. They're not mega money and they do the job, very well.

Due to the size of the antenna, I do however recommend the heavy duty Sirio magmount (Sirio MAG 145)

I'm glad to hear your introduction to the hobby has been a positive experience, some people get set up and if they don't speak to anyone immediately just give up. Getting the 'right' set up takes time, experience (and money!) Bang for the buck, the CRT ONE N is getting rave reviews and is a great way into the hobby. Good luck and enjoy!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you're going off-road then try and get the Sirio 165 magmount to suit, as the extra 20 mm diameter will help keep that 6ft beast in check.

I've given away 4 Springer/Stinger aerials and 2 magnets in the last couple of years but admit I still have an almost new one with a big magnet that I also got for pennies on ebay ...just in case it's needed if we have a Zombie apocalypse lol.

If I actually used a radio out and about I'd definitely go for a big Sirio ;)
Ossie12pints
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 26aw085

Post by Ossie12pints »

Hi everyone. I'd just like to add what a fantastic antenna the stinger/springer is!
I've had two and the best one is from Moonraker with a straight whip as the thunder pole ones with a tapered whip are too short giving high swr on UK 40. The trouble is you can't make the whip longer. However the Moonraker with a straight whip is a bit long and with a little bit trimmed of the whip the swr is perfect. I had to cut about 1 inch off mine and get good contacts at 10 to 15 miles. Please remember no antenna is pre tuned!! You need to play about with them. Also if you want to run extra power an open coil is great for high wattage.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Ossie12pints wrote: 03 May 2018, 22:37 Please remember no antenna is pre tuned!!
...except for the ones that are supplied pre-tuned...
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

Ossie12pints wrote: 03 May 2018, 22:37 Also if you want to run extra power an open coil is great for high wattage.
Or the many enclosed coils designed for high power, ie 2kW
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Have you compared the antenna to anything else?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612